Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#77545 by Sean Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:36 am
to cut a long story short I bid for and won a road bicycle on ebay. plenty of emails form the seller until i had paid via an ebay invoice from [email protected]. Once i had paid the seller stopped emailing so no bike and no money.

The invoice was a very very clever fake! It even fooled the Police!

Ebay couldn't/wouldn't help even though the address given was false, nor would my bank, HSBC, which is crazy as it is the same as the fraudsters.

The fraudsters name is Victor Dominic Stoican. So be warned
Advertisement

#77575 by John DeLaney Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:47 pm
Hi Sean, sorry to hear you lost your money to another scammer. They are getting very sophisticated with their fake payment sites lately, unfortunately.

If you still have any of his emails, could you please post them as well, with your details removed. Most of the scammers use standard scripts, by posting their formats they become highly visible to anyone who may be searching online for phrases or names.

Take care, and good luck with finding a legitimate dealer.

John DeLaney
#77833 by Sean Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 am
John, Thanks, unfortunately I am somewhat technologically disadvantaged and have no idea of how to remove my details from emails or even attach them to my post.

regards
Sean
#77844 by Jillian Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:47 pm
Hi Sean. I'm sorry to hear that you've been a victim to this scam but am glad that you've found your way here.
To post the scam emails, please select and copy the text from them, and then just paste them into a post on this thread. Moderators can fix the formatting for you, if need be.
When you're posting the info, if your name or email address is included, just delete that part out and leave the information about the scammer. We're glad to help you further if you still find it confusing.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#77984 by moggy Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 am
? The scammer`s ebay - ID or - user name.
i had 1 once but his/her postal code was not on this planet.
i was selling an item , i copy&pasted all relevant details and sent them to ebay.
You really need the seller`s name his/her ebay name
#78154 by Sean Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:18 am
Your invoice for eBay purchases: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Road Bike, 56cm (260896107971)?
To see messages related to this one, group messages by conversation.

21/11/2011
Reply ?
eBay Buyer Protection
Add to contacts
To #########
If you have questions, please reply to this email or contact the seller.
eBay sent this message to ########### (c-----1).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.
Payment Information

Dear c------1,

Thank you for shopping on eBay! Your total amount due is £2,050.00. More details about your purchase are included below.

2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Pro Road Bike, 56cm
Sale Price: £2,000.00
Postage & insurance:
£50.00 (7 days return policy)
-------------------------
Total £2,050.00

• Payment must be sent by Bank Transfer to:

Seller's name:
Victor Stoican

Seller's address:
15, Airds Crescent, Oban ,Argyll and Bute, PA34 5SQ, United Kingdom

Bank details

HSBC Bank Plc
2 Buchanan Street, Glasgow, G1 3LB, United Kingdom
Sort Code: 40-01-26
Acc. number: 60087971
BIC: MIDLGB2192M

Sale date: 21-11-2011
Transaction number: 260896107971
Total amount insured: £2,050.00
Payment must be sent by: Bank Transfer

• Purchase protection and refund:

Currently, you, as the buyer, have all risks covered by the reimbursement policy of the seller.

The above bank account represents a valid reimbursement payment method on file with eBay. Meaning that a full refund applies to eBay's Buyer
Protection policy in the following cases:
Item Not Received;
Item Not as Descried.

eBay reserves the right to reimburse the buyer directly and recover the reimbursement sum from the seller by charging the seller’s reimbursement
payment method or through other means, as necessary (including, without limitation, by engaging collections agencies).

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to complete the deal as soon as possible.

Regards,

eBay Buyer Protection Team

H38412

Marketplace safety tip
Trade safely. Beware of anyone who contacts you about buying or selling outside of eBay. When you trade outside eBay, you're not able to leave feedback or take advantage of our protection programmes and resolution tools. Report an inappropriate email.

Email reference ID: [#5c79a613c09345d8afa8827873436fd6#]
Please don't remove this number. Customer Support may ask you for this number, should you need assistance.

eBay sent this email to you at ############# about your account registered on http://www.ebay.co.uk.

eBay will periodically send you required emails about the site and your transactions. Read our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

This email was sent by eBay Europe S.à r.l., which may make use of its affiliates to provide the eBay services. If you are a non-EU resident, please find the contact data of your contracting party in the User Agreement.

Copyright © 2011 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay Imprint.
#78275 by Julian 52 Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:04 am
Hi

My name is Julian and I have recentlt been scammed for £3K when I thought I was paying monies to an Ebay account. Having found you site the name Anthony Magnoli keeps coming up. Although my dealing were not with this guy it transpires that he is the registered owner of the domain name 'ebaypaymentcentre.com' which was used to seen me invoices and payment confirmation details.
It was only on a no show last week that I contacted Ebay, only to find that they did not have my money and they had no record of any correspondance from them to me.
I have the Police involved but have resigned myself to the fact that I will never recover the monies but would like to warn others as it would appear that this guy has been doing it for some time.
We have also found that he has been trying to sell a Lotus Elan and on their web site 'LotusElan.net' it shows the same bank details that were on the Ebay payment confirmation. This shows and showed on the e-mail that I received that the bank account was in the name of 'D.C.Tudosa' with the account no. of 63439925, sort code or 20-46-57 and address of the banks branch of 403 Holloway Road, Holloway, London.
I hope from this that other people do not get caught as I have
Regards
Julian
#78278 by Dotti Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 am
Can one (or both) of you post the headers of the emails you received from that domain? We would really like to get enough evidence to have our site killers get the domain closed down.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#78406 by Michael Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:46 am
I would like to reinforce the request Dotti made - if we have headers, the domain will easily be shut down. If you are unsure what headers are or how to find them, please ask!

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#84626 by charlesbills Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am
Happened to me last night guys, I noticed things were a little strange and went looking around the net, just to check it out. Found your site.

this is how it started, you need to read this section backwards for the email trail.
[b]
Hi,
Unfortunately this is the only way I can sell it at this moment, since I cant offer viewing this is the reason insist to do it genuine with eBay. A full refund/return policy is available.
Thank you
Michelle
-----Original Message-----
To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
Sent: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:45
Subject: Re: camper van
Michelle
I have never done it and its a lot of money to go wrong.
I would prefer to give you a deposit say £500 via paypal then the balance on delivery, how would that be, this covers you for any out of pocket etc should there be a problems, not that there will be

Gary
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 06:04 PM
To: Bills, Gary
Due to my location and since view is not an option I have requested personal support and I was approved to use Buyer Protection Program. Here is how the process works:
- you give me your full name and shipping address
- I start the transaction with the eBay,
- they send further payment instructions,
- you have to pay for the item to eBay to secure the funds,
- they confirm me that they received the funds,
- I deliver the motorhome,
- you receive the motorhome,
- they send me the money.

Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received the motorhome in good order.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

Michelle
-----Original Message-----
To: '[email protected]' <[email protected]>
Sent: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:31
Michelle

I could meet you in Manchester at work next week or if your in Scotland I can come on the train. I don't mind.
Gary
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 03:53 PM
To: Bills, Gary
I am unable with phone so please use email as primary contact option. I dont use phone for internet deals.

Michelle
[/b]

then you get this little lot through. All look genuine enough

eBay Motors member Michelle Southway, as the Seller, initiated a new transaction through eBay Buyer Protection program and registered Gary Charles Bills, as the Buyer.
We verified all the details of this transaction and we concluded that they are accurate and the transaction is approved. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely. Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to £50,000.00 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower.

Complete the transaction in 5 easy steps:

Buyer and Seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay Customer Support with the transaction details;
eBay Customer Support accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the Buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from neither Buyer or Seller);
The Buyer receives an invoice and sends the payment to eBay Customer Support. After the payment is verified by eBay Customer Support, the Seller will initiate the shipping.
The Buyer receives the vehicle and has five (5) business days to inspect it. If it is as described and as agreed, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses it, the Buyer must ship the vehicle back to the Seller expense;
After the inspection period is over (5 business days), the Buyer must contact eBay Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer accepts the vehicle, the payment will be sent to the Seller within three (3) business days.
eBay Buyer Protection

Case ID: 17EVG3RN5

Item titled: 1974 VW Westfalia Bay Camper

Item number: 230741358536

Amount Insured: £4,000.00
Seller Verified Profile

Registered e-mail address: [email protected]

Identity and Contact Information Verified.

Continues to meet strict Membership Criteria.

Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.

Purchase Protection Coverage up to £50,000.00

eBay Buyer Protection Overview
Buy with confidence on eBay Motors! The eBay Buyer Protection program protects your vehicle purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided by eBay Motors for FREE on all eligible vehicle transactions completed on eBay Motors. There's no sign-up, opt-in, or registration necessary.
The following types of fraud and material misrepresentation are covered:

Paying for a vehicle and never receiving it;

Sending a deposit for a vehicle and never receiving the vehicle;

Paying for and receiving a vehicle:

That was a stolen vehicle at the time of the transaction;

With an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title;

Of a make and/or model that is different than what was described in the seller's listing;

Without receiving the title for that vehicle from the seller, if it is impossible for you to obtain a title from the appropriate Department of Motor Vehicles;

Whose title is subject to an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage title brand at the time of the sale;

With a model year that is different than the model year described in the seller's listing;

With an odometer reading that is different than the odometer reading described in the seller's listing.
Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to £50,000.00 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower. The program covers Cars, Trucks,Commercial Trucks, Motorhomes, Campers, Caravans, Motorcycles, ATVs, Go-Karts, Scooters, Mopeds, Personal Watercraft, Snowmobiles, Boats, Buses, Race Cars, Trailers.
What happened to PayPal Buyer Protection?
PayPal Buyer Protection on eBay existed only for eBay customers who paid for their purchases through a PayPal account. Now purchase protection and issue resolution for your eBay purchases will be managed by eBay, for all eligible payment methods.

With eBay Buyer Protection, buyers will receive coverage for the purchase price of the item, plus original shipping. eBay Buyer Protection also introduces a new, streamlined process for customer service, so you can get help quickly either on the phone or online.
Help

How can I contact Customer Support?
We want your eBay experience to be great, and that means making sure you get the help you need as quickly as possible.
Contact Customer Support
If you're looking for more help or have a question to ask, please Contact
To get help or contact customer support:
Click Contact us and enter your question or tell us about your issue. Be as specific and concise as possible.
We’ll save records of all of our communications with you to prevent duplicate responses, and to keep track of your questions in case you need to refer to them later.

Thank you,
eBay Customer Support
eBay Buyer Protection Program
#84627 by charlesbills Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 am
what flagged it to me was the bank account and
this little mail address eBay [[email protected]] if you see this STOP, call EBAY, who dont give a crap but we should do it anyway, I ahve also sent my details to BBC Watchdog.
#84632 by melonfarmer Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:22 am
Have just been done by a similar scammer - details on:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25134&p=84631#p84631

Header from payment email is (******* are my email user name):

From pop_server."******@gmx.com"@pop.gmx.com Sat Feb 4 17:35:32 2012
Received: from pop.gmx.com by web132301.mail.ird.yahoo.com with YMEXTPOP; Sat, 04 Feb 2012 17:35:32 GMT
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivered-To: GMX delivery to *******@gmx.com
Received: (qmail invoked by alias); 29 Jan 2012 18:36:19 -0000
Received: from tamar.safe-mail.net (EHLO tamar.safe-mail.net) [213.8.161.229]
by mx0.gmx.net (mx030) with SMTP; 29 Jan 2012 19:36:19 +0100
Received: by tamar.safe-mail.net with Safe-mail (Exim 4.66)
(envelope-from <[email protected]>)
id 1RrZbn-0006sJ-J5
for *******@gmx.com; Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:36:11 -0500
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=N1-0105; d=Safe-mail.net;
b=vRP8tRO4ZhGrvTaC+ynXyMmbtuVf8ODj/2Tou7mXzd1EgjyLPg5sfztttTxrVoNp
fi4FexkMMYneINXJjIpqo/4nA0zR6vwj4GUv7zNN58Yt94+jM3Hf+p/Rsn1txogJ
08V+PqWLrqUKF8v9vf7UTmJ0AuZ3/kD/fQRVn0SAJrE=;
Received: from pc ([212.29.227.88]) by Safe-mail.net with https
Subject: Your invoice for eBay purchases - item #160725713711 - AUDI A3 SPORT 2.0 TDI AUT
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 13:36:11 -0500
To: *******@gmx.com
X-SMType: Regular
X-SMRef: N1B-nkOgro-jSL
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="-----5KVYT3G4Q6BC2-4F25919B.673B-L9Y0JA6PWR4JQ-----"
X-SMSignature: PhxkBznHrH/exvnsemX/RYsY38g+YwssI4FWniJOKSX6+f90/KRup5v/Enc/ZW/E
GAWLKjns1wpEO9RSsmOoL7A7OSZXpr21Lx+TQKojif+QzH+M96vsw6cpok8FrShS
qkmFOdhYEbb9IdRI+Z5MP2ciHGvYDUoBZPVzaGtNM78=
X-GMX-Antivirus: 0 (no virus found)