Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#134658 by ians Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 am
Friday-Ad have a Landrover Defender advertised at £5400, way below bookfor an 05 plate. Turned out to be Sgt John Morris, using the same gramatically incorrect e-mail. Smelled a rat when he said that the Army "Logistics Department will deliver the car" - as a tax payer, that would concern me! Seems as though Friday-Ad need to be more diligent in screening advertisers.
Advertisement

#134659 by countryman Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am
Thing is that with all these sites, they literally have thousands of new ads put on by customers via their website directly. All we can do is report the ad to Friday-Ad etc. You HAVE reported it, I hope.
#134709 by snapperrb Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm
Just to let you know this is still being attempted.

A man named Sgt. Martin Matthew supposedly in 62 Cyprus Support Squadron Royal Engineers
with an email of [email protected]
is trying to sell a Ford Fusion for 2500.00GBP via Trade-It Bristol South and West using the exact wording as shown on this site.
I have reported it to Bristol Trading Standards by email.
#135026 by Enigmatic1 Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm
I would like to add to this post that I too found a car for sale on friday ad, a mercedes clk, it was under priced and from reading the initial post here it is most certainly a scam as i recieved identical details i will post the users 2 email addresses so others are made aware of this ongoing scam.
I hope this is of some help to you
[email protected] is the main correspondence email but the initial one is [email protected].

this is a great way of catching those responsible or at least minimising the genuine customers losses.
any questions feel free to ask.
#135920 by suda_2002 Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 pm
This guy has just tried to get me too. I thought it was a bit suspicious so I typed 'Pay Pal Trust Account' into google and this site came up. I really hope people don't fall for this!

The name he gave me was Paul Seidler and the email address was [email protected]

This is the email he sent me;

Hi again Susie,
Before leaving I had prearranged shipping and payment with PayPal (the most secure way to pay and get paid) so my presence isn't necessary. The car is at our Headquarters from Grantham, Lincolnshire. The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.
Here is what I suggest: we will use PayPal services, you'll make the payment in a PayPal managed account trust fund (they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car ), I will send the car over( the car will be delivered with the owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me),I will offer a 5 days period from the day you'll receive the car , you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, drive it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to PayPal the sale and they will send the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it (I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.Please note, that the return of my car will be made, only after you will get your money back. I think this is more than fair for the both of us.
The payment is refundable, and is just a security measure, to make sure that the buyer is serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and lose time and money. Your payment is 100% covered, because I have open a Trust Account with PayPal and if something goes wrong, you will get a full refund from my account. If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name, phone # and shipping address so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After that, they will contact you to explain all the details regarding the transaction..
I'm looking forward to hear from you.
Paul
#136770 by rhino-neil Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm
Hi.
I saw an advert for an Audi A2 in the Friday ads.
I contacted the seller and they said they were in Gibraltar .
Same old story . Soldier out of the country wanting to payment through Paypal.
got this email from him:

Hi again and sorry for the delay,
Before leaving I had prearranged shipping and the payment with PayPal (the most secure way to pay and get paid) so my presence isn't necessary(The car is at our Swinton Barracks in Perham Down). The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.The car comes as described, in perfect esthetically and functional condition, no accidents, no scratches, no dents,no hidden defects,kept it in a garage, no need for additional repairs and I have all the necessary documents to make the sale. Full service history. HPI clear.Mot and Tax till May 2013.
Here is what I suggest: we will use PayPal services, you'll make the payment in an PayPal managed account trust fund ( they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car ), I will send the car over( the car will be delivered with the owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me),I will offer a 5 day period from the day you'll receive the car , you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, drive it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to PayPal the sale and they will send the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked .Please note, that the return of my car will be made, only after you will get your deposit back. I think this is more than fair for the both of us.
The payment is refundable, and is just a security measure, to make sure that the buyer is serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and loose time and money. Your payment is 100% covered, because I have open a Trust Account with PayPal and if something goes wrong, you will get a full refund from my account. If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name, phone # and shipping address so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After, they will contact you explaining all the details regarding the payment.
David
Sgt. David Donners

David Donners
26 Engineer Regiment
[email protected]

Luckily i only paid out for HPI check and not for the car,
We have informed the Police and i suggest all avoid this scammer and note his new email address
#136784 by began steele Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm
Hello Rhino.
PayPal managed account trust fund
No they won't. It doesn't exist except in the mind of scammers.
The Logistic Department
I doubt if the Ministry of Defence and tax payers would be too delighted with the expense of this one. It can't happen.
I will send the car over
You got to be joking. All the way to Timbuktu just to check it out! :laugh-s:

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#143727 by nell453 Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm
this guy is now apparently in Cyprus reckons he is unit 62 cyprus support group sergeant Orlando Brook .I have reported him to paypal as they must have his details for a paypal payment.I am not from a military background but I think he is taking the p1ss out of the regular army.thinks if he is a sergeant ou will trust him.!Really dont know what anyone can do apart from being alert.
#149986 by Farrmonkey Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 pm
Ohhh my.... Thank goodness for this site!!! Looks like the guy has changed his name yet again....

He is now Sgt David Bean 62 Cyprus support. Squadron royal engineers

Here is his second email as the first email was a copy of one another lady posted earlier. It rang alarm bells as he wanted all my Paypal details and address yet I'd told him there was no money in the account yet as I had to get the money tomorrow. He said he needed the details today.... Ummmm I'm hardly going to give him details before money was available... Then I got thinking.. A good price... So searched what vehicle should be worth (double what I was paying)
As the saying goes too good to be true it generally is... I'm being scammed....

The ad was on line in the trade-it... Bristol... A silver polo 59 plate for £4200..... Be warned peeps.... I'm lucky I stumbled across this site.....

His email to me below...........

Before I left the country, I got some time to arrange a safe and fast sale through Paypal. I want protection for both of us since I am not able to finalize the deal face to face. This would be the second time when I am using their protection program when I sell something over the internet as I am gone almost all the time.
Also I've moved the car to our Headquarters from Grantham, Lincolnshire because I wanted to keep it in a safe place until I find a buyer and a good home for it and trust me, that's the safest place. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 3 days. The car will be delivered with the owner's manual,2 keys, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me. The V5 doc is already signed by me.
I will not ask you to pay me in advance because this is not fair. I will get back with more info.

Sgt. David Bean
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]
#150008 by TerranceBoyce Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm
Welcome all and it's heartening to see that you're giving this scum the lack of success he deserves. :beer:

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#155008 by niptuck37 Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 am
Hi
I have just had the exact same response from a sargent marrow jack for a land rover discovery the email address he is using is [email protected] i thought something was funny when i read the name i cant believe people would use the military to pull off scams im glad i found this site. :=)
#155108 by Mike48 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am
More scam names, the same person I suspect:

Paul Preston
29 Regiment RLC
[email protected]

and

Sgt. Joshua Clayton
62 Cyprus Support
Squadron Royal Engineers
[email protected]

Best way to confirm is to do a bit of research on the vehicle behind the number plate, DVLA have a section on their web site, then ask relevant questions of the seller. They're always evasive, ignoring the questions because they don't know the answers. If you look hard you will also find the same ads in Autotrader or Exchange and Mart for considerably more!
#157738 by Wiltona Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 am
He is still at is,

FYI

Hi again and sorry for the delay,
Before leaving I had prearranged shipping and the payment with PayPal (the most secure way to pay and get paid) so my presence isn't necessary(The car is at our 23 Engineer Regiment (Air Assault) ). The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.
Here is what I suggest: we will use PayPal services, you'll make the payment in an PayPal managed account trust fund ( they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car ), I will send the car over( the car will be delivered with the owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me),I will offer a 5 day period from the day you'll receive the car , you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, drive it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to PayPal the sale and they will send the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked .Please note, that the return of my car will be made, only after you will get your deposit back. I think this is more than fair for the both of us.
The payment is refundable, and is just a security measure, to make sure that the buyer is serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and loose time and money. Your payment is 100% covered, because I have open a Trust Account with PayPal and if something goes wrong, you will get a full refund from my account. If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name, phone # and shipping address so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After, they will contact you explaining all the details regarding the payment.
Sgt. Marrow jack

On 16 Mar 2013, at 19:13, Marrow Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello
I apologize for the delay, I'm in the military and that's why I couldn't reply in time. I don't have access to a phone, so we will communicate through e-mails. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying my car... I was deployed yesterday in Gibraltar and I think I'll stay here for a while that's why I'm selling it so cheap. I intend to buy a new car when I'll get back home. I will use a third part to sell this car (PayPal or Escrow.com). Let me know if you are interested in a purchase.
Thank You
Sgt. Marrow Jack

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Trina

Somebody's interested in your vehicle!

Your ad:

2007 (57) MITSUBISHI SHOGUN SPORT TROJAN, Mitsubishi,
2007 (57) MITSUBISHI SHOGUN SPORT TROJAN, Mitsubishi, Shogun... 10/03/2013 18:22:00