Craigslist, Ebay and other online buying/selling scams.
#29210 by Luke Sun May 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Trying to sell my motorbike online using autotrader...

Got this reply:
Question
Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $7,200 for this,payments will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

I replied - sensing a scam due to unusual English, punctuation, and arranging for pick up:
Hi Jordan,

Yes, it's still available... And paypal would work.. Where do you live?

His reply:
from Jordan Evans <[email protected]>
date Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM
subject Re: Important Sales Lead from AutoTrader
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com

Thanks for the quick response, i am buying this item for my son as a surprice gift and i am at sea at this moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want the item to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on http://www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.my dad have pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment.what is your final price?.

Obvious scam...
Advertisement

#29228 by Chris Fuller Sun May 23, 2010 4:21 pm
Hello Luke and welcome to ScamWarners.

Thank you for posting the above scam mails. As I expect you noticed, the last email mentions 'the item .... the item .... the item'. The scammer probably uses this copy-and-pasted text in his replies to advertisers selling many different types of goods.

I'm glad that you recognised this as a scam.
#29636 by cohenih Mon May 31, 2010 5:45 am
This guy is still at it, with a slightly different message, even using the same email address:

Here's his reply to my auto trader advertisment:

Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $3,800 for this,payments will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

and another to my buy and sell ad, with the "Oceanographer" twist:

Hi thanks for mailing back,
i am an Oceanist and i am buying this for my mum, i am at sea right now,
and I am glad you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at
the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online,but i have
it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using
paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the
payments,as you dont have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set
one up at www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.I have a
pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been
sorted.Thanks for your mail hope to read from you soon...

Thanks
#30170 by figures Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:08 pm
And he's still at it...

I too am selling my sport bike on Autotrader and have encountered the famous Jordan Evans. He has a couple of slightly different email addresses that he is using. He is still using the same cut and paste technique with the same story.

This is some of the communications with him...

Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $7,500 for this,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

Jordan then replies with the gift for his son story.. He is a marine engineer out at sea with limited access... Blah Blah Blah.. and then requests that he send the money via PayPal. I then give him my e-mail address to send the funds and I get this response from him.

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:39:41 +0100
Subject: Re: Important Sales Lead from AutoTrader

I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me $700 for pick up and delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters which is in the united kingdom and the payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the $700 to your money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in the UK through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most post offices(you can do it online as well at http://www.westernunion.com)..., i would have done it myself but we cant bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little incapacitated.....I will appreciate your help here.
Jordan.

Then this one follows as a confirmation of the PayPal money, which does not show up in my Paypal account and PayPal has no record of in their system.

Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:16:56 +0100
Subject: PAYMENT HAS BEEN MADE

I have just made the payments now and i expect paypal to have emailed you by now,i sent $8,300.00 in all, To you. paypal said they would be holding the funds and it will not be credited into your account because of the excess payments of $700 i added meant for pick up and delivery,they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the $700 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer,so that paypal can credit the $8,300.00 into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, i added extra $100 to cover the western union
charges which shouldn't be more that $70-80 but just to be sure i added $50, Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through western union money transfer:

Peter Graham,
626 Chiswick High Road,
London,
W4 5RY,
United Kingdom.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10 digits number on the Western Union receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.

From
Jordan.

Thank you to all who had posted this Jordan Evans scam. It really helped me out.
#30173 by The Enchantress Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners and thank you for posting this information figures.

It will alert and save others from being scammed. Well Done :=)

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#30331 by fritha Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:24 pm
I received the same message from the email below: DON'T GET SCAMMED!

Hi thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments, and if you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one up at http://www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted, and also do get back to me with your best offer. l will be waiting for your reply asap
#31565 by glen Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 pm
Beware: He/she has added another email address. Same MO.

Jordan Evans [[email protected]]

Name: Jordan Evans
Phone:
Email: [email protected]

Question
Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactely amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well. Cheers, Jordan.

Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.
#31572 by Ralph Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:49 am
Hi Glen, welcome to Scamwarners.

Thank you for posting this new information.

In this scam, the scammer will send an email pretending to be from paypal that tells you the money has been sent, it will go further to suggest that Paypal has witheld access to the money until the courier company has been paid by you, ironically in many cases they will insist you use Western Union.

Any mention of a bank or paypal suggesting that you should use Western Union or moneygram is going to be a sure sign of a scam
#32037 by len123 Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:49 am
Wow - Good thing I decided to do a search on google because it seemed a little fishy.

This is the mail I got:

Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com.i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.what is your final price?
#32039 by GomerPyle Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 am
Judging by the volume of mails he's sending out it looks as if his ship has an on board internet cafe. :lol:

He's playing the high volume game on the basis that if he only hooks victims with one per cent of his scam mails, he's guaranteed a tidy income.

Let's hope he has a very unsuccesful time.

Non-EU citizens should go here to find out about obtaining a visa to work as an au pair in the UK
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/
Whenever payment is requested by Western Union you're dealing with a scammer
#34558 by oneno Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:15 am
He isn't just sticking to AutoTrader. I just received this from a craigslist ad.

Jordan Evans <[email protected]>
View Contact
To: oneno

--
Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactly amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well get back to me with the asking price.Cheers,Jordan.

Replaced "item" with "it"
#35563 by rossovich Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:25 am
He is at it again:
Subject Line:
1996 Cheverolet Blazer S10 for $2500
body of his email:
Hi,Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer of the exactly amount you want to sell it,payment will be made through paypal and i will arrange for the pick up as well get back to me with the asking price.Cheers,Jordan.

Funny he asks the price when it is in the subject line of his email.

I responded by asking him to provide the following information for the paperwork:
Full Name
Full Mailing Address
Contact Telephone number.

This information would be needed for both the ownership and the UVIP that needs to be supplied.

> he then responeded with:
Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.

Definitely a scam
#35591 by David Jansen Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm
Welcome here Rossovich.

Thanks for posting this, it will help others who look for information about this person. And i'm glad you didn't fall for this scam!

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.