If you have been scammed, please post here and share your experience; it may help others avoid the same situation!
#7308 by dlc003 Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 pm
I have recently been looking for a car and obviously am using Auto Trader. It is unfortunate these scammer's are now everywhere on Auto Trader. I am thankful that I learned of these scammers on NPR and subsequently checked out 419eater.com or I may have fallen for it as well. Hence the reason I wanted to reach out to others to be very aware of these despicable people.

On Auto traders they will provide pictures of a car...at a really, really good price and ask that you email for more details. You think, wow that's a really good deal, and in my price range ! The saying " if it's to good to be true...then it is" is very accurate. If you email and ask for more information - then this is the email you receive in return. See below. They all say the same thing - obviously changing the details on what ever car they are trying to scam you with, but the sob story soldier being shipped off somewhere yada, yada...all the same. Please pay through ebay/pay pal and they will ship the car to you...sight unseen. I feel for the folks who have fallen for this. :(

I hope this warning helps someone out there to keep their hard earned money and to be able to see the signs of these scammers in the future and to tell everyone that they know what to look for!

I have received 3 of these same emails on 3 different cars in the last week - this is the 4th email I received this morning on a car I really liked. The email address I received it from is [email protected]
"
Hello there and thanks for your interest!

First of all let me introduce myself, so that you know to whom you are talking to.
My name is Michael Perry. As you've probably already seen on my ad, the price I'm looking for my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is $2800.
The car has 139,808 miles with automatic transmission. The mileage on this vehicle is accurately represented. Clean smell never been smoked in.
This vehicle doesn't have any signs of prior collision damage, has been garaged. Starts fast and runs flawlessly with smooth acceleration.
There is not a skip or anything but smoothness in this vehicle's transmission. There are no electrical problems with this vehicle whatsoever. The exterior of car is clean, better than average. Clean interior that is in good shape. The tires will last for years on this vehicle.
The beautiful White paint is in great shape with no major dents, dings, or scratches! It still shines as if it was brand new! The Tan interior is in really great shape.

This is a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4 Door 4X4 / AWD in Excellent condition.
This car has been extremely well maintained. This vehicle is loaded it is has Leather seats, Dual power Heather front seat, Power moon roof, Keyless entry, cruise control, Factory Cassette Player, Infinity sound system, Alloy wheels, climate control, power steering, tilt wheel, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, real 4 wheel drive, owners manual...
This truck has all the options you need!!! It is LOADED !!!!!!

I am selling the jeep because my unit has been sent back to Afghanistan and I have no use for it anymore plus i want to buy another car in several months.
The price is low because I need to sell it before February 25. I will only conclude the transaction through eBay Purchase Protection for our own protection.
They act as a neutral third party.

I shall explain to you the process, so that you know what you are getting into!
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, i will have to contact eBay and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the
process right away. I will be needing your full name, address, state and zip code for that. You will receive a notification from eBay shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to an eBay account. They will hold and insure your money until you receive the car in good condition.
That is how their buyer protection policy is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that eBay has the possession of the money during the delivery period.
That is my insurance.
As soon as i will have the confirmation from eBay that the funds have been deposited to their account, i will immediately start the shipping process.
I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything, because i am one of the leaders of the 455th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place.
The jeep will be delivered to your address in no more than 2-3 working days.
You will be given a 15 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home.
If you decide to hold it, then you will have to authorize eBay to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with it, you will be able to send the car back through US Air Military Cargo, and ask eBay to return the funds to you.
Though i am sure you will love it and will not want to return the Cherokee Jeep, it is good to know that you do have this second option available.
Again I want to point out that because i am going to Afghanistan, i am after a fast transaction, with no delays.
That is why i decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.
If you wish to proceed with the purchase, please provide me your full name, address, state and zip code so I can initiate the deal through eBay right away.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Capt. Michael Perry
455th ESFS Commander

PS. If you need to see more pics just click: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp26 ... ?start=all

I am sooo sick of these people wasting my time.... I just want a car ! :evil:
Advertisement

#7310 by The Enchantress Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:59 pm
dlc003

Thank you for posting this. It may help another who is not a savvy as yourself. It is unfortunate that the criminals and scammers use potential buyers in this way. They will stoop to anything, even using patrotic causes such as pretending to be servicemen and women to further their lies and criminal acts. My advice to anyone using the net to purchase anything is question where the proof (ie mails confirming payment arangements) are really coming from. Most are spoofed mails by the scammer. If it sounds too good to be true, sadly it always is. Similarly when buying goods, pay nothing until the goods are delivered. If the buyer or seller is genuine they will comply with and understand your reservations.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#7414 by mel2000 Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:05 am
Could someone explain exactly where the scam kicks in, and what the problem is with sending the funds to eBay or PayPal?
#7415 by benjamin Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:50 am
Hi Mel

The scam is usually that it won't be the real Ebay or Paypal, but either a faked email claiming to be from them, or requesting payment to their "representative". In the case of Ebay, they are never involved in transactions outside of Ebay itself.
There's always a possibility that the request for a Paypal payment will be real, but in that case it will be using a highjacked account, or one set up temporarily.
#7416 by mel2000 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:47 am
Thanks for the explanation. While I have made purchases using eBay and PayPal, I have never sold items myself and wasn't familiar with the routine of receiving payments from buyers.
#7417 by Ralph Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 am
Hi Mel,

This link will take you to an ebay scam where the buyer is actually after the goods initially but then moves on to get money as well, the scam in this case works because of a fake PayPal representative who has been able to convince quite a few people that it is genuine, it seems Ebay's policies do not allow to ban the IP address of this person so he freely creates a new account every time he is reported and continues on his merry way viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1937
#7858 by Michelle Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:23 am
and here is another typical reply from a craigslist/Autotrader scammer.

2003 BMW : 325 XI - AMAZING PRICE!! - $2900
Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:37 PM
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To: xxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
My name is Karen. We are selling our car because we are moving to Yukon - Canada from where my husband is. We are originally from Marana, AZ and the car is here with us. If you are interested in buying it, shipping is about $400, which I agree to pay half of it.
The transaction will be managed by the eBay Purchase Protection team, so everything will go smooth. You will receive the car for inspection before you make any payment to me. If you are interested in completing this deal with us, just give me a reply as soon as possible and I will reserve the car for you and also give you more info's about the car and how this transaction will work.
Final Price: 3100$ (shipping included)
Regards,
Karen Gapinski

You can see more pictures at: http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/thaney_01/

#7946 by Michelle Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 am
This reply from a craigslist car scammer:-

Re: 01 hyundai PWR sonata Low Mileage Get Now lether - $2603 (Guam, US.) Reply to: [email protected]
Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:43 AM
To: "xxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello there,

Thank you for your email.My name is James and I'm an US Air Force Lieutenant currently stationed in Montana at a military base.I'm selling the car cause I will be sent back to Iraq and don't want it gets old in my backyard.I must sell it before march 17 th.Here are some details about the car (Hyundai Sonata):

Transmission: Automatic, ,Clear title.

Features and Options:
Power Equipment Power Steering Power Windows
Power Locks Power Mirrors Power Driver's Seat
Safety Features Anti-Lock Brakes Driver's Air Bag and much more...

It has been never wrecked or damaged.It will be shipped directly to your address.
The asking price is $2600 US, shipping included. You will receive it in 3-4 working days at your home address. It is insured in case of damage.
The payment is fully refundable,you will have a 5 days inspection period in order to check it and test drive it. If for any reason you do not accept the car or if it has scratches, hidden defects, or it is not as advertised I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you
reject it but i'm sure that it won't happen cause it works and looks perfectly.
I believe it's a large transaction and would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party as eBay using their Purchase Protection Program , so that should eliminate any trust issues.ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected.
If you are a serious buyer and still interested in this car please reply with your full name and shipping address so we get the ball rolling. I will forward your details to ebay and they will notify you regarding our deal.
Thanks,
If you need more pics just ask.

#7948 by Michelle Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:43 am
Another Military Man called James stationed in Montana

Re: ;07 SUZuki gSx-R Manual - $2901 (Guam-micronesia) Reply to: [email protected]
Wednesday, March 4, 2009 9:25 AM
To: <[email protected]>
Hello there,

Thank you for your email.My name is James and I'm an US Air Force Lieutenant currently stationed in Montana at a military base.I'm selling the bike cause I will be sent back to Iraq and don't want it gets old in my backyard.I must sell it before march 15 th.Here are some details about the bike (2007 SUZUKI GSXR 600)
Transmission: manual, Miles: 2026, Engine: 600cc, Clean title

The bike has never been laid down,
abused, or seen any rain. I keep the bike spotless and covered in my garage away from the elements. and much more...

It has been never wrecked or damaged.It will be shipped directly to your address.
The asking price is $2900 US, shipping included. You will receive it in 3-4 working days at your home address. It is insured in case of damage.
The payment is fully refundable,you will have a 5 days inspection period in order to check it and test drive it. If for any reason you do not accept the bike or if it has scratches, hidden defects, or it is not as advertised I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you
reject it but i'm sure that it won't happen cause it works and looks perfectly.
I believe it's a large transaction and would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party as eBay using their Purchase Protection Program , so that should eliminate any trust issues.ONLY AFTER you receive the bike and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected.
If you are a serious buyer and still interested in this bike please reply with your full name and shipping address so we get the ball rolling. I will forward your details to ebay and they will notify you regarding our deal.
If you need more pics just ask.
Thanks

#7950 by Michelle Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:47 am
RE: !!! 2005 Honda Civic DX !!! - $2990 (Guam) Reply to: [email protected]
Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:22 AM
To: [email protected]

Hello and sorry for my delay,
I'm sgt Jonathan Tolley. The 2005 Honda Civic DX 4 Cyl is in perfect working condition.This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth.This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.The car has only 46,111 miles.VIN # 1HGES16315L024256
Excellent Interior
Excellent Carpets
Excellent Seats
Excellent Dashboard
Excellent Panels / Headliner
Excellent Exterior
Excellent Original Paint
Excellent Trim Condition
Excellent Glass Condition

Here are the pics of the car :
http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/2005hcDXB/
(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window)
As I know that my current situation is pretty special I want the deal closed only through eBay's Buyer Protection Program in order for you to be 100% protected. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it(for 10 days) eBay will release the payment to me; in this way we are both protected. Anyway i am sure that if you will don`t be satisfied about the car i will surely find another buyer in your area and there will be no need for you to ship the car back.
I am located in Toronto,Canada and I was sent here to improve the military relationships between USA and Canada . One months ago, my wife moved here with me and brought the car with her, but now we have to sell it back in the United States because we can't register it here; it has US specs and everything, and registering it here in Canada will take for ever. My final price on it is US 2,990 $. If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping. It will be shipped from here by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place. You will receive the car in about 3 days. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.
Thank you and have a great day,
Sgt. Jonathan Tolley

#8409 by scamsabitch Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:28 pm
I just went around with this one. I knew it was a scam from almost the beginning, but i kept playing with them to see what would happen. and this is the final reply i recieved.

"Ok,
If we decide to proceed with this transaction, i will have to contact eBay and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will be needing your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from eBay shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.
Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to an eBay account. They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their buyer protection policy is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that ebay has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.
As soon as i will have the confirmation from ebay that the funds have been deposited to their account, I will immediately start the shipping process. The Maxima will be delivered to your address in no more than 3 days. You will be given a 5 days inspection period from the day you receive the Maxima at home. If you decide to hold it, then you will have to authorize ebay to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the Maxima, you will be able to send the car back through the same shipping company, and ask ebay to return the funds to you.
Though i am sure you will love the Maxima and will not want to return it, it is good to know that you do have this second optionavailable. If you wish to proceed with the purchase,please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through ebay right away.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
P.S. Send me also your ebay ID."

Looks awful familiar eh.

this was for a 2005 Nissan Maxima with 35,000 miles on it. This car blue books for almost 15000 dollars and they were only asking 5500. I hope they haven't actually scammed anyone with this, but the sad thing is, they probably have.
#8412 by Ralph Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 pm
Hi Scamsabitch

Welcome to Scamwarners

I hate to admit you are most likely correct about others falling for the scam, telling your family and friends and posting the details as you have done will make it that bit harder for this scammer to convince others from sending money.

Unless you want to devote many hours to baiitng and other time wasting activity, there is little else you can do

Pleas ask if you have any questions
#8741 by nanners077 Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 am
Hi,

This is my first post to scamwarners. I wanted to share my experience to help prevent someone else from getting taken.

I almost fell victim to a similar scam on craigslist. I was looking for a used car at a decent price and ran across an ad for a 2006 Honda Civil LX w/ 30,000 miles for $5,345. Sounded way too good to be true and I'm now sure it is. Responded to the ad and received this email back from Seller:

Hi,

My 2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan is in great shape, no engine problems, damages
or hidden defects. Hasn't been involved in any accident. It was always
garaged and never kept outside.
I have enjoyed this car and I am sad to see it go. The vehicle drives
straight and runs as it should. The engine compartment is clean, with no
fluid leaks.
The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or
visible defects. There is no rust. Vehicle has a clean title.
Excellent interior and exterior. Please check the photos!! I have all the
original manuals, documents and keys.
I want this transaction to be smooth and I don't have much time at my
disposal to waste my time with endless discussions.
I believe $5,300.00 (not negotiable) is more than a fair price.
The transmission is automatic. Mileage: 30K, mostly highway miles. Please
feel free to email me any questions you might have.

Thank you,
Lt. Douglas, Allan R.

P.S. More pictures here: http://www.mybasket.info/images/hon_civ02365654654/

Wrote him back saying I could meet him next day with cash and received this reply:

Hi,

Yes, the VIN # is: 1HGFA16576L105384.
The car is at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo, NM, where I am currently stationed, until April 24th, when I will be deployed to Afghanistan (I'm a US AirForce Lieutenant).
This is why I must sell it before that date. Shipping won't be a problem for me, being a military I have access to some special facilities.
I will take care of that, with no costs on your end. This is a large amount and I would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party like eBay using their Purchase Protection Program, so this should eliminate any trust issues.
They will keep a deposit until the purchase is final, and you test and accept the car. If you will not get the car as described, and also a clean title you will receive your money back.
To be able to use this program you need to qualify. I had been approved 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. So, if you are interested in buying my car just let me know your name and shipping address.
I will forward these to eBay's protection program and wait for the approval.

Thank you,
Lt. Douglas, Allan R.

I'm not registered on ebay and usually don't buy things over the internet but this just sounded pretty fishy to me. Didn't make sense that he could use ebay's Purchase Protection Program for a car that isn't listed on ebay. After doing some research and googling some of the phrases in his letter "using an authorized third party like ebay" ... "waste my time with endless discussions", I found other people have been scammed by people posing as military personnel in almost exactly the same way, using almost exactly the same letter.

I'm thankful for sites like this because without them, I would've likely lost a lot of money. For some reason, I would've found it easy to trust someone in the military -- especially someone being deployed overseas!

So anyway, thanks for this site and the info. here .. and hope my post helps someone else avoid being a victim!
#8742 by Ralph Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:31 am
Hi Nanners,

Welcome to Scamwarners

Firstly, I am glad you found out about the scam before losing any money, many people are not so lucky including some close friends of mine

Second, thanks for posting the details, it does make a difference and allows other s to find the proof when required

There are many ways to spot these as sacms but one of the best ways to prove them is to use google, by doing a search on a section of script I was able to find this Click Here
#8973 by 1024 Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:04 pm
This is my first post to here. I'm sharing in hopes that someone will read this and see that's it's too good to be true.

I was searching autotrader for a used car around the $6000 mark.
I saw an amazing deal for an Acura RSX S at 50000km's for $4200.
Wow, I thought..what a bonus.

I emailed to inquire and here's the 1st reply:

Hello,
The car is located in Toronto, but i am now in the United Kingdom.(i was just recently divorced an mvoed back with parents)
I want to tell you that we will use an Escrow company in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them.I will need a deposit of $1700, so that I know you're serious. They will supervise this transaction so there won`t be any problems.They will take care of the shipping and all the small details. If you won`t like my car (not your case)you notify them and they send the money back on my cost,if you want to keep it you announce you send the money(payment method and all the details will be set up by the escrow)and you keep the car. They will send you an invoice at your email in which you will see how to start the this transaction and in which you can see that this transaction is legit.Please get back to me with your full name,full address and phone number so i can forward your details to them in order for you to receive the invoice.
Thank you !

Then it continues on to give VIN numbers etc.
I didn't think anything of it, because I had the VIN.
So I emailed my details, and received an email from AWD Escrow Solutions (AWDsolutionsescrow.110mb.com) with a copy of everything including names, email addresses ([email protected]), phone numbers, addresses and accountants etc. I went to the website. Browsed around and noticed strange things. Being in IT and a web designer it didn't take me long to find it fake. (Being hosted by a free-host didn't help them in passing off as real either.) The phone number listed to fax the receipt to from WU was also located in Kentucky USA.

I was taken for $52. But I'm extremely happy that it was to carproof and not to the scammer.
Now, they'll probably be using my name, address etc. for the next scam, and the cops don't seem to care much.

Heads up. Don't let this happen to you.