Company Representative scams, Payment Processing scams and other Employment scams.
#170122 by TerranceBoyce Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:59 pm
Many employment sites do everything they can to persuade you to post a resume and then they sell access to anyone with the cash to pay.

You hope employers will see your resume but often it's an advertising company and apparently scammers harvesting your personal details.

I doubt that an employer will ever look for potential employees by scanning online resumes. The employment sites just see your details as a resource to sell.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#172110 by jerseywoman Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 am
I have received a text message about a resume I sent for job posting on Geebo
I tried to trace through the number the text came from, but I don't find anything under that, or the number which I am to call about the position. this is the third time I've gotten text message about supposed jobs, so I just want to be sure before I call back.
the number the text was from is 971-717-3224 and the number to call is 855-339-6902
if anyone has any info on this, your response is greatly appreciated.
#174674 by TinaR_Central-FL Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 am
Same here, I Received a text message from a Job Board (Job Radar) that I applied for a job on...I received text from 971-717-3224 the next day...And was asked to call 855-339-6904...Tried to trace both numbers and cannot locate either...If anyone can help or knows anything any information would be greatly appreciated. :?
#174761 by rgsoundguy Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 pm
I also received a text from 971-717-3224. Here is the exact wording.
"JobsRadar- Hi Tester Testington! We'd like to speak with you about the position you applied for on our job board. Call 8553396904 Text STOP to cancel"

So glad only provided my Google Voice number, I can block these people like the spammers they are.
#174763 by rgsoundguy Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:53 pm
TerranceBoyce wrote:Many employment sites do everything they can to persuade you to post a resume and then they sell access to anyone with the cash to pay.

You hope employers will see your resume but often it's an advertising company and apparently scammers harvesting your personal details.

I doubt that an employer will ever look for potential employees by scanning online resumes. The employment sites just see your details as a resource to sell.

Some employers do look through resumes on job boards, and if not employers, recruiters definitely do. They will search key words hoping to find a the right candidate. I've gone on several interviews that were the result of a resume posted at Monster or Careerbuilder. The one interview I had was from a resume that I completely forgot I had posted.
#174784 by TerranceBoyce Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm
You are quite entitled to your opinion, rgsoundguy and also to suggest that what I say is not correct, and I never expect anyone to take what I say as the last word on any matter, but my opinion is based on the fact that no employer/recruiter is to know if the applicant is still looking for a job based on a CV they've posted on some long forgotten website (in your case). It's simply a waste of effort and time. Perhaps if labour were in short supply, or a specific skill in great demand, then maybe that would be true, but for a standard job it doesn't make sense.

If an employer is looking for a special or unique skill then the average job site is the wrong place to look anyway.

Even of the jobs posted on most job sites an alarming proportion are poorly disguised scams of one sort or another and a large number are merely peddling training courses of questionable worth or use.

One employment website I researched charged £200 for access to employee details and, at that cost, it would be more attractive to advertisers, spammers and scammers than employers. It wouldn't be too difficult to perform some experimental research on the issue by posting CV's with slightly differing contact details and recording who uses them and how, being able to detect who's doing what with the details supplied.

What I say is so obvious, in my personal opinion, I see no purpose in going to the effort, but anyone posting their CV ought to take steps to be able to check who's passing on their details, and to whom.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#210492 by Eric Long Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:32 pm
Great contributions.

Here is another scam.
Amazon, guaranteedresumes.net, Amazon Local, JC Resumes.com, J. Melissa Cooper, Resume2hire.com Discount resume service not such a deal. Company offers same price without offer. Internet

Amazon Local is offering $227 in resume services for $79. Offer tag B00LH56DGM. This may seem like an excellent deal until you look at the total package.

This offer is a ripoff for the following reasons:

1). The discount is not real.

You can see multiple resume websites run by J. Melissa Cooper here:

http://www.big-list-of-resume-writers.c ... Review.php

J. Melissa Cooper created guaranteedresumes.net just for this deal. She sells resumes on resume2hire.com for the following prices:

A resume costs $49.99

Cover letters are $29.99

Follow-up letters cost $9.99

Thank you letters are $9.99

So when you compare the regular price to the "Amazon" price instead of saving $148 (65%) like the ad says, you are saving $20.96 or 21% and since the follow up letters and thank you letters are the same for everyone you are really getting $79.98 worth of services for $79! A whopping savings of 98 cents.

It’s like saying we give you 50% off of everything that is double priced.

2). The offer is not local.

Amazon Local is for Local deals. guaranteeresumes.net is located in Naples, Florida although the deals are tagged local for New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Boston, Dallas as well as many other cities. This is a deceptive as those who sign up for emails for these deals enter a city and zip code to receive deals from local vendors. To send them a deal that is tagged as local and really hundreds of miles away creates distrust among users.

3). The offer includes a guarantee that is not a guarantee.

It states, get an interview in 60 days or they will make a second new resume for free.

First of all, if they can’t figure out how to create a resume that works and they waste 60 days of potential employment time, how are they going to create an effective resume later. It’s like saying if your plane crashes we will give you a new ticket out on the next flight!

Second of all, the guarantee is not redeemable. In order to qualify, you need to prove that you looked for a job. The only proof accepted is certified letter receipts or fax receipts. No one looks for jobs using this method and it would cost nearly $200 to send out certified letters to meet the requirement for a free rewrite. So in other words there is no real guarantee. They can say no one has used the guarantee because it is unrealistic and unreasonable.

The Better Business Bureau has indicated that this type of guarantee advertising can be construed as deceptive. A company which offers a similar guarantee was cited by the BBB. You can see the Advertising Review here: http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/busi ... l-13005931

4). This company does business under multiple names, but you can’t find who is in charge.

This company operates under different names and changes tactics when they get bad reviews.

They started as Jaime Cooper Resumes, then J. Melissa, then JC Resumes. They operate Jaime Cooper Consulting, R2H, Inc., resume2hire.com, reszoome.com. The do not offer addresses, direct contact information, telephone numbers and register their domain names under proxies so they can’t be identified.

5). No phone support is offered.

The pricing is listed similar to services offering full interview, editing and finalization services. In this service, you submit your information and deal only by email. You can not choose your writer, discuss your needs or get advice. The information you provide is poured into a template, edited and returned to you with a generic thank you letter and follow up letter. It's like ordering a discounted grand piano and upon arrival the package is the size of a tissue box (this has happened and was justified because the picture in the ad said "actual size").

In the end, you can imagine the time a writer has to produce 4 documents at an average pretax pay of $30. Beware of potential quality issues.

The good news is that Amazon backs all their transactions. If you have any concerns about this purchase, contact Amazon directly to determine your recourse.