Room for Rent and other rental scams
#41283 by zapster123 Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:05 pm
Hi,

I also received the mail by WG-gesucht.de from :
Anfrage von Sandra Ailly bei WG-Gesucht.de [email protected]

I'm D-Ailly Kim Laila 23 years old originally from Netherland the apartment belongs to my late father and my mother have been managing and maintaining the apartment,but she is presently in belfast united kingdom due to her work,am undergraduate student of University and apartment is very close to city center and its easy to public transportaion and supermarket and store and its just about 2 mins walking to Subway public transporation bus stop just 19mins walk to university apartment is 72msq and room is 25msqft

The exact address is..........Burgstraße 11, D-80331 München, Deutschland
The lease is --€300/Month/room/ including the utilities,fridge-freezer,oven, washing machine, dryer, gas cooker,microwave, dishwasher, electricity bill, internet charges and others.

€500 for the security deposit which is refundable during the departure time

Thanks for the introduction of your self,you really sound great.... never mind i can reserve the rooms for you till your arrival date since there is a perfect procedure that we both have to undergo before you can proceed with the payment

However If you really have interest in renting the room just let me have this request below
-FULL NAME,
-YOUR EXACT ARRIVAL DATE,
-YOUR DEPARTURE DATE,
-YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS
-SCANNED COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT ID,

So that i can quickly instruct our family lawyer to prepare the tenant agreement form for you, to see the terms and condition of the contract and if
you are okay with the terms and condition then you can proceed with the 1month rent and security deposit to my mother in United Kingdom Via western union money transfer so that the room can be reserve for you till your arrival date because there are alot of people that also have interest in renting the room,but my mother prefer the most serious person who pay her first..

The signed agreement form will be send to you first through attached mail(with the scanned page of my international passport).for you to read and understand,after which you will proceed with the payment ,i'll now send you the original copy through a registered courier to your address for you to sign and bring along with you when moving in. Have a nice day,Looking forward in hearing from you.
Best Regards

I was stupid enough not to get it right from the start and so I kept the conversation a bit going:

They sent me pics of the apartment looking very odd (like a hotel and not a real appartment)
They also sent me a scan of the lease agreement and a copy of the Passport of a Dutch girl: Name: Kim Laila Mariska d'Ailly , 23 years old

Here comes the part that really hurts: I sent back a scan of my passport, so they will now do that shit with mine....ARG ... F***ers

They then sent me the "copy of Lease Agreement" and asked me to transfer the money using Western Union to

MRS.SANDRA D-AILLY
17, EAST BRIDGE STREET
BELFAST,BT1 3NR
UNITED KINGDOM

SO hopefully nobody will e so stupid to pay them money. I am very sorry for anybody who will be (hopefully never!) cheated with my passport. I am male, german and 26 years old.

ENjoy your day and don't let you rip off!
greetings from Germany
Advertisement

#41284 by zapster123 Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:08 pm
some more impressions of the dialogue:

THIS IS THE RENTAL AGREEMENT FORM WHICH I WILL ADVICE YOU TO READ VERY CAREFULLY BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT WILL CONSTITUTE THE BASIS FOR OUR CONTRACT. AFTER READING THIS AND YOU ARE OKAY WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEN YOU CAN PROCEED WITH THE PAYMENT WHICH MUST BE RECEIVE BY MY MOTHER IN UNITED KINGDOM,SO THAT I CAN SECURE THE PLACE FOR YOU TILL YOUR ARRIVAL DATE, BECAUSE I HAVE MANY PEOPLE WHO WANT THIS PLACE ALSO,BUT MY MOTHER PREFER THE MOST SERIOUS PERSON WHO PAY MY MOTHER FIRST.YOU NEED TO PAY THE SUM OF 800 EUROS TO MY MOTHER DUE THAT YOU RE RENTING ONE BEDROOM AND THE ROOM YOU CHOOSE WILL BE RESERVE FOR YOU AND 500 EUROS FOR SECURITY DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUND BACK LESS THAN 24 HOURS BEFORE YOU DEPART THE APARTMENT . I HAVE SCAN A COPY OF MY PASSPORT TO YOU JUST FOR YOU TO BE SURE THAT YOU'RE DEALING WITH THE RIGHT PERSON

PLEASE MAKE PAYMENT AVAILABLE TO MY MOM IN BELFAST THROUGH HER BELOW INFORMATION NOT LATER THAN 24HRS AFTER YOU RECEIVED THIS AGREEMENT FORM VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO:

MRS.SANDRA D-AILLY
17, EAST BRIDGE STREET
BELFAST,BT1 3NR
UNITED KINGDOM

LET ME HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AFTER SENDING THE PAYMENT:
1..MTCN NUMBER,
2.EXACT AMOUNT SENT IN GBP OR EUROS
3.SENDER NAME AND ADDRESS

LET ME HEAR FROM YOU ASAP
BEST REGARDS

then followed:

ARE YOU STILL INTRESTED?

another one:
#45035 by danielizabeth Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 pm
Thank you so much, I was close to doing this, but it just didn't feel right!! I got this email from wg gesucht as well:

I am Robin elisabeth 21 years old originally from Netherland the apartment belongs to my late father and my mother have been managing and maintaining the apartment,but she is presently in belfast united kingdom due to her work,am an undergraduate student of University and apartment is very close to city center and its easy to public transportaion and supermarket and store and its just about 2 mins walking to Subway public transporation bus stop just 19mins walk to university apartment is 72msq and room is 25msqft.The exact address is Mohrenstraße 12,D-10117 Berlin, Germany and the lease is -€300/Month/room/ including the utilities,fridge-freezer,oven,washing machine,dryer,gas cooker,microwave, dishwasher, electricity bill, internet charges and other miscellaneous fees.€500 for the security deposit which is refundable during the departure time
#45862 by ktsparkle89 Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 am
I was just scammed by this same person. Except she says her name is Sandra Charlotte, and her daughter was Simon Charlotte. She supposedly rented me Mohrenstrasse 12, Berlin Germany. I am a 21 year old American who goes to Cal Poly, so if she tries to scam you using my information and passport please do not fall for it.

Question: has anyone filed charges or started an investigation against her? It seems she uses the same address in England in every ad.
#45871 by Dotti Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:47 pm
Welcome Sparkle,

I'm sorry to hear you were scammed. Unfortunately, filing charges is not as feasible as it seems. "She" may be using the same address in England from scam to scam, but that too is copied or fake.
"She" is not in England at all (and is most likely not a female either). The real person behind these emails is an unidentified African, who is nowhere near England, and is out of reach of both American and British authorities. The sad reality is, our authorities can do nothing without participation by the authorities in the country the scammer is in--and that means lots of money and political red tape. Losses of only a few hundred or a few thousand dollars may mean a lot to the person losing the money--but they aren't enough to trigger a full-scale investigation. Typically, losses of hundreds of thousands of dollars must occur before a full investigation will be launched.

In spite of that, we do recommend filing a report with IC3, because it is important that these crimes be reported--our governments need to understand the depth of the problem so that they will ultimately devote more resources to addressing it.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#46421 by cngm85 Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm
I too was a victim with the exact same matterial. I was wondering though were we should report it? I am an American Citizen so where do I go? Please I hate that they have my information!

Warning to anyone, I Claudia Nazaret Gonzalez am not renting an apartment to anyone.
#47281 by ZurchChap Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 am
Hi all, registered just to post this, I got the exact same scam on EasyWG:

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your interest in my room, I have a three bedroom apartment and I am renting out two of the rooms to tenants.

The apartment has the following amenities:

Internet connectivity. (Broadband)
Heating and cooling system.
Electricity
Gas
Phone connectivity
Car Space, etc

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room :)) and you can also have your own visitors.

The rooms have the same amenities and are of the same size. The apartment is centrally located in the city center and very close to the bus transport system which can link you to places in and around the city.

The rent for the room per month is 800 CHF including utilities while you would be required to pay a security deposit of 1000 CHF ; This deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed during your stay in the apartment either by you or your guest.

Let me also tell you more about me because I believe it is very important we know each other if we are going to be good flatmates. My name is Nathalie Crausaz and l am 23 years old female who live alone in this apartment. I have just one sibling and he is with my Mother in London. This apartment used to be my family apartment till when my Dad moved us all to London where he eventually passed away but I alone stay here in the apartment and have being renting it out for sometime now. My last flatmates left for Spain some weeks back after there internship, and thus hence my search for new flatmates.

I am calm and laid back person and my hobbies are reading, swimming and also at times on Fridays/weekend, I attend social events but I have not being having the opportunity due to my studies to hang out with my friends. I'm a graduate of Sociology and I'm currently writing my thesis on my Master program, so l hardly have time because of my studies and my work, I work with the World health Organization which makes me not to really have time, always on tour on creating awareness, though l am very happy with the job, and that is why l need flatmate who can take care of my property most times when l am away for work.

Let me know about yourself too and I hope it suits you well, and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I would be glad to send you the pictures of my flat and also the tenement agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in and get yourself confirm.

Have a great day and I wait to read from you soonest,

Regards,
Nathalie

Then when I stupidly replied:

Hi xxxx,

Thanks For your response and your interest in my room.

Attach to this email is the pictures of my room for rent, they are all of same size and has it own private toilet and bathroom. The only thing we share is the kitchen and the living room where we can relax most times and discuss and also entertain our guest.

The rent for the room is 800 CHF inclusive of all utility bills, while the security deposit is 1000 CHF and it is refundable at the end of your stay if nothing was destroy either by you nor your guest. I hope that is okay by you?

For proper, Here is the exact address of my apartment:

Talacker 50a
8001 Zürich,
Switzerland

You can go and check out my apartment but you may not be able to go in as l am not around due to my work, you can check out the apartment and the environment and then get back to me with the details requested for the contract document to be prepare for us.

For us to proceed, there has to be a tenement agreement document which would confirm us as flatmates and also would be a guideline for our living as flatmates. For this document to be prepared, do get back to me with:

- Your Full names as you want them to appear on the contract
- Your move in date
- Your planned move out date ( or Contract period); this period can be either extended or terminated.
- Your address for me to send you your keys to your room and the apartment, your rent receipt and also your rent document.
- Your scanned ID/Passport for Identification.

Once my lawyer gets these details, the contract shall be prepared and then the next step would be for You to sign on the the contract confirming that you have reserved the room and also make payment to my mother and this payment would have to be made before you move in.

I wait to read from you soonest with these details so that we can proceed to been flatmates.

Thanks,
Nathalie
#49841 by floneu88 Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 am
I was scammed by this person as well. This time he/she worked under the synomym Charlotte Simon and required a passport copy and recent address. I was stupid enough to sent my copy and my details but researched his/her case before transferring any money. The process was just running too smoothly.

So, as he/she has my passport, there will be an ad running under my name.
However, I (xxxxxxxxx) am not letting any apartment, whether it is in Munich, Berlin or somewhere else.

Watch out for this guy and be careful who you trust and who you are giving your information to.

All the best, kind regards,
I removed your name from two places for your security. ~Bubbles
#49919 by Bubbles Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:04 am
Welcome to ScamWarners floneu88. It is great that you recognized the scam before you sent any money to this scammer. You also give GREAT advice about not putting your information out for others to find.

It is possible your passport will be used in a scam. It is more likely the scammer wanted to see if you were serious about sending them money and they didn't even look at your passport. You might want to talk to the agency that issued the passport to see if you need to take further action.

We are glad you are here and hope you will post any more scams you receive.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.