Information on romance scams and scammers.
#19727 by Debbie Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:51 am
Help Please! I have received a request from a Sgt Larry Cole in the US army stationed in Afghanistan to ask for a leave permit to meet him. The leave request permit and confirmation has come from General Dan Brown, at the leave processing Dept New York United State. email address [email protected]. In the leave request form they are asking for $530USD to be paid so that his leave will be granted. This money must be sent via Western Union Money Transfer to Sheila Ferryman (Military financial secretary) 303 Universal Ave Springfield, zip 45501-0271, state Ohio USA. Sgt Larry Cole has an email address. [email protected]. We have been corresponding through a date site. Datemefree.org for a while now. I live in South Africa and am not familiar with any US Army protocols. Could someone please tell me if I am being scammed. I need help urgently. Sgt. Larry Cole has never asked me directly for money or for me to pay for him to come to South Africa.
Advertisement

#19728 by The Enchantress Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 am
Welcome to Scamwarners Debbie.

This is a definite scam - do not send any money and please cease contact with this callous criminal.

The military do not use free mail addresses like gmail or yahoo - nor request money sent by wire using Western Union.

Please see this other report concerning army-leave scam;

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3673&p=13953&hilit=Andrew+Patterson#p13953

If you have any questions, concerns or additional information - please post.

A support team member will help you.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#19729 by Arnold Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 am
Hi Debbie and welcome to Scamwarners.
I know nothing about US army regulations either, but I have no doubt that this is a scam. Sorry.
The mention of payment by Western Union and the two free email addresses make this certain.
And I've never heard of any employer asking for money before allowing leave,

#19733 by John Barry Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:43 am
usa.com is an email domain operated by mail.com. Whilst the company is legit the free email domains it offers ( @accountant.com,@lawyer.com etc) make it a favourite for fraudsters.
#19735 by Debbie Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 am
Thanks guys! Learning very quickly! Have sent out website to a few friends. I am sure that they will make use of it! :-)
#20745 by trustingod Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 am
This is a scam . The Military doesn't do such thing .It is odd that hey would us a US post to forward the funds . Good catch .

Don't like scammers
#66638 by shinka34 Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm
what about this one?
just send the email to the millitaryleaveoffice
Cptronald Smith: telling them you want a leave on behalf of captain ronald smith and you are his fiancee
Cptronald Smith: and you reside in the uk
Cptronald Smith: and the purpose of the leave is because we need to make our future plans

[email protected]

is this a scam also?
#66653 by doghouse14 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 pm
for the last few days i have been chatting with a person who calls himself a commander in kabul called mark johnson with pictures of a nice looking man seemed to be real but i got an idea that something was not real but did not say anything the story was fab real life his wife and son died in a car crash in n.york two years ago and he was putting in to retire from the army but needed to tie things up first.but there was something about the way he wrote not like an american and sounded like those people in call centres in india.but he never asked me for money instead he wanted me to accept a package for him from a diplomat in africa.and i could keep it safe.so me being a thicky asked what is in it that you cant have it there with you?money he said was in it.so i said put it through the bank and he said no bank here.so i told him the army has a bank and safes so put it in with them.will you take it baby. no i wont and you are not who you say you are and i have all the tracking and the ip addy its not kabul but ghauna..
but whats upset me is they have their hands on pictures and id in that mans name.they could have killed him or he could be dead and they have taken his identity.what advice can you all give me.what steps has i know i can get him back on line but want to set him up.or take the money and go on holidays.(joke) uses the email [email protected]

Mark Johnson
Invited

These messages were sent while you were offline.

23:23 Mark: for what my Darling why you do not trust or believe me?

you make me so sad now after everything

23:24 even if you would do so you did not have to tell me

?

[email protected]
Last edited by doghouse14 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#66665 by Justin Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm
Hi doghouse14!
I'm glad you avoided the scam. These lowlifes dining fact steal people's identities from pictures online. They sometimes do impersonate soldiers who have passed away or still serving. It's a shame but all they care about is stealing your money.

It would be helpful to post a couple of the scammers emails if you can. This will help others that search avoid this scam.

Justin

#126559 by quellybells Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:00 pm
I was also experience the same thing..as in same scenario..I met a guy names capt. Alvarado bridge, he said his on Afghanistan, no mobile, no cam on his office. And would like to remarry bec his wife died 5 yrs ago and a daughter who is in Missiori right now. So, being hopeless romantic, I believe on every word he said, since I woked here at Doha, Qatar, he told me he will come here if I send an email to there admin requesting for him for an urgent leave. With immediate response on my email, heres the reply:

THE DESK OF GEN.DANIEL BROWN
LEAVE PROCESSING DEPT.
NEW YORK,
UNITED STATES.

THE TRANSIT DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY WOULD LIKE TO INFORM YOU, MRS. ___________________

THAT WE ARE IN RECEIPT OF YOUR MESSAGE AND THE CONTENT WAS REVIEWED AND DULY NOTED.
YOUR REQUEST WAS RECEIVED AND HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO ALL THE CONCERNED DEPARTMENTS OF THE ARMY FOR AUTHORIZATION.
THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE HAS REVIEWED THE PROFILES OF THE SERVICE MEMBER (CAPTAIN ALVARADO BRIDGE) ON BEHALF OF WHICH THE LEAVE REQUEST WAS FILED AND CONFIRMED ELIGIBLE.
THE TRANSIT DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY WOULD LIKE TO CONFIRM TO YOU THAT THE REQUEST CONCERNING THE PROCESS OF THE SAID OFFICER'S (CAPTAIN ALVARADO BRIDGE) LEAVE HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.

ACCORDING TO THE D.O.D POLICY ON LEAVE, PASS AND LIBERTY,WE RECEIVE A PROCESSING CHARGE FOR IT TO BE APPROVED AND HIS NAME WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE NEXT BATCH OF U.S ARMY OFFICERS RETURNING HOME FROM AFGHANISTAN , THIS OFFICE IS THEREFORE NOTIFYING YOU TO PROCEED WITH THE PAYMENT OF PROCESSING CHARGE OF $350.00 (THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY U.S DOLLARS ONLY) THIS CHARGE INCLUDES THE HOMELAND FEE.
ALL FURTHER UPDATES ABOUT TRANSIT PERMIT WILL BE ADVISED DIRECTLY TO YOU.
BELOW IS THE ADDRESS WHERE YOU ARE TO SEND THE PROCESSING CHARGE AND IT WILL BE APPROVED.

THE MILITARY DEPT. FINANCIAL SECRETARY

NAME : SHIRLEY MAE ATKINSON
CITY : SPRINGFIELD
STATE : MISSOURI
ZIP CODE : 65807
MODE OF PAYMENT: WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER

ONCE WE CONFIRM THE RECEIPT OF THE PAYMENT THROUGH WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER AND THE ATTACHED FORM HAS BEEN CAREFULLY FILLED, WE WILL NOTIFY THE SAID OFFICER (CAPTAIN ALVARADO BRIDGE) AND HIS FLIGHT SCHEDULE WILL BE SENT TO THE COMMANDANT IN-CHARGE OF THE SAID OFFICER FOR THE AWARENESS OF HIS EXIT FROM CAMP.
FOR ANY INQUIRIES, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE BELOW ADDRESS.

GENERAL DANIEL BROWN
NEW YORK
UNITED STATE
FAX NUMBER: (+1) 870-568-6123
650-397-1539
EMAIL: [email protected]

BEST REGARDS,PROCESSING OFFICER,TRANSIT DEPARTMENT

*** I might be not so intelligent person but I would know what formal email is, this one look so shit to me! With and email address: [email protected] - I hope this people would burnt to hell! I just hope real US Army would do something abt this scammer. And to find out for real US army, go to this site: http://www.military.com/buddy-finder/ and be more educated by researching -be online. Be safe everyone!
#126585 by Justin Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm
Hello quellybells,

Sorry to hear you we're targeted by this scammer. Can you also post the email address "Alvarado" was using? This may help others avoid the scammer.

Also just to clarify the site you posted is not a site to meet soldiers nor is it a database of soldiers it is just for soldiers to connect with other soldiers they may have served with in the past.

Justin