Information on romance scams and scammers.

is this a typical scam?

yes 11
100%
no 0
N/A
Total votes : 11
#1590 by tdcz Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm
Scammer: "William D. Morrison" email: [email protected]

mom meets a nice looking, very well educated man on eharmony. He is apparently from Indiana and is a Civil Engineer contractor. His name is apparently William D. Morrison. they talk consistently every day about everything! Every aspect of life is questioned, talked about candidly. He was very knowledgeable about his profession, his past and his future plans. The "fall in love"... meaning he got her to a point of being able to open up emotionally. the "i love you's" were flowing frequently. They make plans for meeting. He bought them tickets to go on a vacation. Most likely they were photoshopped.

One month into the "relationship" he very suddenly had to go to Africa to do a project for his company. Mind you, he is a Civil Engineer... this isnt completely out of the ordinary. Plans for trip are canceled until a later time. He now plans to come to austin when his project is over. Now calling from an african number... they still talk every day! he apparently made a friend who lets him use his phone as his doesnt work there. neither does his laptop and now has to go to the library eery night to chat with her.

one month later, one phone call in particular... he calls to say he has flipped his car driving home from the library after chatting with her. he is ok, and they continue on having regular conversations for about a week. in this time they have a few arguments because she questions some things... who wouldnt? but he can prove anything she questions... and the relationship moves on.

one week before his supposed contract is up and he is supposed to be coming to austin to visit her... She receives a phone call from a William Morrison from IN saying that his identity was stolen. He received a post card from my mom (that she had sent over a month ago when her "William Morrision" was still apparently in IN), and that he (the William Morrison she knew) was in fact not. She is devastated and heart broken to say the least. That same day coincidently, "William" calls to say he has bad news. he reminds her of his "accident" and that the car was totaled. He has to pay the car rental out of pocket and doesnt want to involve his company. His assets are apparently frozen and asks her for help financially. She immediately stops any and all contact with him.

The weird thing is... he spent 3 months, devoting at least 2 hours a day in communication with my mom. He sent her presents with hand written cards. When he asked for money, it was only $2000. From what I've read, scammers usually ask for a lot more a lot sooner than that. Never the less, I am outraged that this happened to such a wonderful, caring, intelligent and very insight full person as my mom. He wasnt able to steal her money, but he killed her spirit! To her this experience is like the love of her life just died suddenly... and then she remembers that he was never real to begin with. It's a total mind f***.

In my vengeful rage... i did everything i knew how to track this jerk down. What would i really do if i found him? probably nothing, however I need him to understand what he did to her emotionally. not like it would matter. I traced all his emails, his phone records... searched for his photos. No photos anywhere to be found on the scammer sites. His IN phone number is one of a block of VOIP land line numbers bought by some fictitious company. All his emails (EVEN THE VERY FIRST ONES) are traceable to Ghana, Africa. I found contact info on the african WHOIS database. I searched for the names I found there and they are all linked to SCAMS.

Not a typical scam from what I can tell. I am not an expert at these things what so ever. I figure this was his first attempt to pull my mom into a money laundering situation and thank god she didnt take the bait. But too bad she met and had the unfortunate mishap of falling in love with someone who never even existed. Now she is just left with hurt and mistrust of anyone new who may come in to her life. eharmony could have very easily traced users email address like i did. It should be in their intial set up process. It's very easy and takes only minutes... and it's free!

These people may not be physically injuring anyone, but they are killing people emotionally. Sometimes, I dont know which is worse.

#1591 by Scam Patroller Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:48 pm
tdcz wrote:The weird thing is... he spent 3 months, devoting at least 2 hours a day in communication with my mom. He sent her presents with hand written cards. When he asked for money, it was only $2000. From what I've read, scammers usually ask for a lot more a lot sooner than that.

That is quite typical of romance scammers, it's a standard format, sometimes, the romance scammer may groom his victim for 6 months to a year before hitting them for cash, also, they often ask for smaller amounts than $2000, some prefer to hit the victim on a regular basis for small amounts, rather than one big hit. Sending gifts is another thing that some of them do, the ones who do send gifts, might purchase stuff online with stolen credit cards to send the victim a gift, it's not costing him anything, but it makes the vitim feel special and builds trust between them.

tdcz wrote:Not a typical scam from what I can tell.

Yes, it is a typical scam, every part of it is, a simple test to do is, if you still have all of his emails, check the full headers of the emails from "before" he said he went to Arfica, and post them here, I'm pretty certain that they will have an African IP address which will be similar to the African IP address he last mailed from in Africa.

Everything that you wrote above is standard in a romance scam, they often claim to be something like an engineer who suddenly has to go and work overseas, then there are the accidents, pretty much standard, sooner or later, there would have been a request for your mother to cash a pay cheque, he would say he can't get it cashed there and needs someone overseas to cash it and send him the money, again, that is a standard part of their scam, they groom the victim, the victim gets to trust them, even hve feelings for them, they send a fake cheque, the victim cashes it, a little while later, the bank informs the victim the cheque was fraudulent, in the meantime, due to banking laws, your bank had to make the funds available to you straight away after depositing the cheque, which you then sent to Africa, you are now left to pay your bank back the full amount of the cheque you deposited.

When the victim complains to the scammer about it, they plead ignorance, saying they will have words with their work and get a new cheque issued, which they again send to the victim, who happily cashes it thinking it was all a mistake the first time, only to find they have been scammed for a second time, I could go on and on, please post the full headers from the emails he sent before and after he went to Africa.

Remember, if it seems to good to be true, then it is.

http://www.419eater.com - http://www.aa419.org

#1592 by SlayerFaith Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:57 pm
Hi tdcz! Welcome to ScamWarners, although I wish it was under different circumstances. :(

What you describe is a fairly typical love scam, except for the part about your mom getting warned by the real William D. Morrison. Unlike some other 419 type scams, love scammers sometimes spend months "building a relationship" with their victims before they go for the money. The talented ones do all the right things, like sending cards and presents (often paid for with stolen credit card info), to lull their victims into thinking that they have found a life partner. They will call their victim often, and move the "relationship" along to the inevitable conclusion, "I want to meet you".

The latter part of the story is straight up love scam; ie the "vacation tickets", "business trip" to Africa, and "car accident". Its not uncommon for a love scam victim to get a call from a "doctor" saying that their loved one is in the hospital needing surgery, or for the scammer to pull the story he tried on your mom. Had she sent the money, he would have waited a bit, then hit her for more. He also probably would have pulled the old "I can't cash my paycheck, please cash it and send the money via WU when it clears" routine at some point, leaving your mom both in debt and in big trouble with her bank. At the extreme, he might have tried to lure her to Africa to meet him, which could have ended very badly. This article tells the story of what happened to one man who traveled to meet his "online love"
CLICKY

I know this isn't going to make you or your mom feel any better about what happened, but it could have been SO much worse if she hadn't twigged to the scam when she did. As for the scammer feeling bad over what he did to your mom, it will never happen. He probably has several victims on the line at any one time, and he will take all of them for as much as he can.

[Edit] Scam Patroller beat me to the info; everything he said is right on.
#1593 by tdcz Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:31 pm
i had already done that... viewed the headers from the original email address.. it was:

Record Type: IP Address

OrgName: African Network Information Center
OrgID: AFRINIC
Address: 03B3 - 3rd Floor - Ebene Cyber Tower
Address: Cyber City
Address: Ebene
Address: Mauritius
City: Ebene
StateProv:
PostalCode: 0001

ReferralServer: whois://whois.afrinic.net

NetRange: 41.0.0.0 - 41.255.255.255
CIDR: 41.0.0.0/8
NetName: NET41
NetHandle: NET-41-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType: Allocated to AfriNIC
NameServer: NS1.AFRINIC.NET
NameServer: NS-SEC.RIPE.NET
NameServer: NS.LACNIC.NET
NameServer: TINNIE.ARIN.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 2005-04-12
Updated: 2005-07-12

OrgAbuseHandle: GENER11-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Generic POC
OrgAbusePhone: +230 4666616
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: GENER11-ARIN
OrgTechName: Generic POC
OrgTechPhone: +230 4666616
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

I even check out the names associated to the IP and they are all linked to scams... its a shame...
#1594 by tdcz Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:33 pm
% Information related to '41.210.0.0 - 41.210.31.255'

inetnum: 41.210.0.0 - 41.210.31.255
netname: ghanatel
descr: Ghana Telecom ADSL DYNAMIC ADDRESS POOL
admin-c: MKN4-AFRINIC
admin-c: DAA7-AFRINIC
admin-c: EAK16-AFRINIC
tech-c: MKN4-AFRINIC
tech-c: DAA7-AFRINIC
tech-c: EAK16-AFRINIC
notify: [email protected]
mnt-by: GHANATEL-MNT
mnt-by: MNT-DAA7
changed: [email protected] 20070326
source: AFRINIC
parent: 41.210.0.0 - 41.210.63.255

person: Michael Komla Nfodzo
address: Ghana Telecommunications Ltd.
address: Telecom House, GTnet/xDSL,
address: PMB 221
address: Accra North
phone: +233 20 2003504
phone: +233 21 247081
phone: +233 21 257848
fax-no: +233 21 247082
e-mail: [email protected]
nic-hdl: MKN4-AFRINIC
mnt-by: MNT-MKN4
changed: [email protected] 20040924
changed: [email protected] 20050205
remarks: data has been transferred from RIPE Whois Database 20050221

person: Daniel Adjei Asante
address: Ghana Telecom, FASTnet Department, Accra-North
fax-no: +233 21 251277
nic-hdl: DAA7-AFRINIC
mnt-by: MNT-DAA7
changed: [email protected] 20050707

person: EMMANUEL ANTWI KWARTENG
address: GHANA TELECOM COMPANY LIMITED
address: HEADQUARTERS, ACCRA-NORTH
phone: +233 20 2005526
fax-no: +233 21 247082
nic-hdl: EAK16-AFRINIC
remarks: THIS IS PERSON OBJECT FOR KWARTENG
mnt-by: EAK16-MNT
changed: [email protected] 20040715
changed: [email protected] 20040813
changed: [email protected] 20050205
remarks: data has been transferred from RIPE Whois Database 20050221

#1596 by Pat Hamilton Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 pm
Thank you for sharing your story which will act as a vivid warning to others who get caught up with these low lifes who not only try to steal people's money but break their hearts in the process. I am sure it will take your mother a long time to learn to trust anyone online again, but at least now she knows the simple background checks and research she can do to spot a scammer before it's too late. Internet dating sites are absolutely infested with scammers, male and female (some pretending to be the other!) so the #1 rule is to proceed with extreme caution. If you are talking to a genuine person I am sure they will understand why you are being circumspect because they may well have been targetted by scammers too.

#1599 by wayne Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 am
I got as far as

He is apparently from Indiana and is a Civil Engineer contractor.

and knew it was a scam. Why? Over 75% of the scammers I've dealt with have used the same story. "When does he say he's off to Africa?" I asked myself, and sure enough there it was

One month into the "relationship" he very suddenly had to go to Africa to do a project for his company.

"What's his 'emergency' going to be then...?" was my next thought. Guess what

he calls to say he has flipped his car driving home from the library after chatting with her.

"Money request's next"

That same day coincidently, "William" calls to say he has bad news. he reminds her of his "accident" and that the car was totaled. He has to pay the car rental out of pocket and doesnt want to involve his company. His assets are apparently frozen and asks her for help financially.

Scammers will spend hours a day talking to you, building up a "relationship" with you and gaining your trust before asking for money. Remember, the amount they ask for can be the equivelant of several year's worth of normal wages. They can afford to take a few weeks talking to you. They'll also have several people on the go at the same time. I've seen some online for over 12 hours at a time. That means they're potentially daling with 6-12 people at one time.

Yours was a typical scam story. Thankfully they didn't get any money. This time at least.

#1605 by tdcz Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:14 pm
Update to the crazy story...

I was contacted by him... he got my info! this is what his email said:

You and your mom all should go die...Your brains are as small as your nipples.
Motherfucker.

GO DIE! HAHA

Also, a lady contacted me on Yahoo IM. regarding him. I was skeptical of course... did the background checks... traced her IP's from IM and emails. (I had her send me an email of her William). She checked out fine. However she was completely devastated as she is talking to someone who has the EXACT (to the tee) story this guy has. She has already sent him a bunch of money and was just about to send a lot more. her friend found my post and sent it to her. She contacted me and I got her in touch with my mom. Poor lady.

New Alias: William Galvin from IN. MO: Contractor that travels to Africa, gets in accident and needs money. Apparently buys gold but cant ship it here so he needs 10k western union'd to him so they can have a beautiful life together.

"William" has tried to contact my mom several time in this last month... asking her why she believes someone who is telling lies about him. He also IM'd her a few time asking: "do you know where i am right now?" FREAKY! When she finally blocked him, he emailed her. His email said something very similar to mine... basically, "go die".

Do I take this as a threat? Or that he's just an idiot jerk trying to scare someone?

#1608 by ColinWarrins Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:48 pm
Well, anyone acting like that should be taken seriously. However, you have to weight the odds of him doing anything to back up his psychotic words. If he's in Africa, then there's not much worry of him doing anything beyond hassling you and your mom. Getting an unlisted phone number and new email addresses would be a great start.

If you feel sufficiently threatened, you should contact your local LEO - they may not be able to do anything, but then again, maybe they (or some other organization) has heard of this guy before.

Email: Colin.Warrins at Scamwarners dot com

#1612 by wayne Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:07 pm
tdcz wrote:
"William" has tried to contact my mom several time in this last month... asking her why she believes someone who is telling lies about him. He also IM'd her a few time asking: "do you know where i am right now?" FREAKY! When she finally blocked him, he emailed her. His email said something very similar to mine... basically, "go die".

Do I take this as a threat? Or that he's just an idiot jerk trying to scare someone?

I'll bet my next meal on him being somewhere close to (if not actually in) Lagos.

They hate being found out. They'll always want the last word. I think it's a pride thing. A victim got the better of them? That's not how it's meant to be. Ignore it. Change phone number and email address if it makes you feel safer, but these scammers would rather spend their energies looking for a new victim than trying to hunt one that got away down. Just ignore him and he'll go away like the bad smell that he is.

#1615 by ChrisSmith Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:26 pm
Why the poll?
The advice here is that this is a typical love scam. What is the point of setting up a poll and ignoring all of the advice given by our Warners and Advisors? :?
#1616 by tdcz Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm
...seriously?

i havent "ignored" one post and have appreciated everything everyone has posted in response to this situation. I am however irritated that you found it nessessary to question my intentions here by posting instead of PM just to get your 2 cents in.

If you must know... i did a poll because it was an option when posting. I did it because it was there.

I am here looking for answers to what is a terrible situation for a loved one of mine. My children happen to be asleep right now allowing me to post, otherwise I am with them... not on my computer.

To those of you who have responded with concern and help... you have no idea how much we have appreciated all the advice that has been given. It has helped my mom out immensely.

Isnt that what this site is about?

#1617 by ChrisSmith Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 pm
PM sent.

#1618 by Pat Hamilton Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:15 pm
Your brains are as small as your nipples

I know this isn't a funny situation at all, but you have to laugh at some of the insults these scammers come up with.

His guy is going to bombard you and your mother with all kinds of stuff for a while because he's been busted and won't be getting any money. If it becomes a real nuisance then as already said, change your phone number and email address. I know it's a pain, but it's yet another unfortunate consequence of getting mixed up with these scammers. Otherwise, just totally ignore him (and I know it's tempting to fire back a reply) and he will move on to someone else.

#1620 by tdcz Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:34 pm
it is kinda funny though!.. the nipple and brains thing. ... well until i got to the "die" part. I'm taking the advise and am just ignoring. I was tempted to fire back, but i figured that I'd just be playing his game. :wink:

So, I think I know the answer to this but... do these guys ever get caught? Is this illegal in Africa? ... probably not :roll: