Room for Rent and other rental scams
#192338 by ara2016 Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 am
My name is x 26 years old from Romania and I was recently involved in a scam, where I just lost 1020 €. There was a nice announcement on this website http://www.justlanded.com/ on category Housing / Flatshare.

The announcement sounded like this.
I NEED A FLATMATE IN MY APARTMENT
• Price: EUR 470 / MonthCurrency converter
• Bills included: Yes
• Sex: Any
• Smoking: Any
Address: Luxembourg
Last edited by ara2016 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Advertisement

#194540 by MissHelene Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:37 am
Hi
I am so sorry for you but I am in the same situation right now! I also got scammed by the so-called "Elodie Poulin". Can you help me with how to proceed? Did you get your money back? Do I have to get in touch with the Luxemburgish police?
I am currently in Denmark and about to start an internship in two weeks in Luxembourg.

Helene
#304204 by Tim Atem Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:41 am
I'm sorry that you were scammed, your money is gone, though. Yes - file local police reports and also report everything you have to EC3: https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/r ... ime-online

Please post some of the emails, especially the one asking you to send them money, with your personal information removed. Make sure to post email addresses/phone numbers they may be using. This will help to warn others who may be searching the information.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#304229 by Bryon Williams Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 pm
My name is x 26 years old from Romania and I was recently involved in a scam, where I just lost 1020 €. There was a nice announcement on this website http://www.justlanded.com/ on category Housing / Flatshare.

The announcement sounded like this.
I NEED A FLATMATE IN MY APARTMENT
• Price: EUR 470 / MonthCurrency converter
• Bills included: Yes
• Sex: Any
• Smoking: Any
Address: Luxembourg
Hello everyone!
My name is Elodie and I have one room vacant in my apartment so i need someone to rent it. the apartment is furnished already.
I am an easy-going and fun person, and will like to have such a flatmate too :)
Looking forward to your message if you are interested.
Feel free to e-mail me for any additiona info.
Here it`s my conversation on yahoo mail:
Hi,
You have received a reply to your ad: I NEED A FLATMATE IN MY APARTMENT - EUR470 / Month posted in Housing > Flatshare in Luxembourg.

Hello, my name is x, is this announce still available?
I am 26 years old , i am romanian but i speak english and french too.
I come in Luxembourg for a job on 24 February.
Please let me know if you are interested in more details or if your announce is still available.
Thank you,
Gabby

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 10
Hi ,

Yes my room is still available and the apartment is a well furnished 2 bedroom apartment which i want to rent out 1 bedroom and the second bedroom is occupied by me. the apartment is located at 64 av. de la Gare, 1611 Luxembourg which is in the city and very close to transport.

There is a very attractive living room,dining,kitchen with Internet (wi-fi). there is also washing machine,dryer and the rent is 470EUR all bills inclusive and deposit of 550EUR is required and will be refund to you after your stay in the apartment.

I also attached the photos of the apartment for you to know what it looks like.

Hope to read from you again soon and don't hesitate to ask if you have any question.

Elodie.
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:19:50 +0000
To: [email protected]
Subject: New reply to your post: I NEED A FLATMATE IN MY APARTMENT
Me
To [email protected]
Feb 10
Hello Elodie,
I am sorry but i did not see any photo with apartament. Where did you atached them?
And the final sum that i need to pay would be 1020 euro ?
I am 26 years old and your age what is ?

Thank you for relpy,

To Me
Feb 10
Hi ,

I attached the pictures again and i hope you'll see them now.
And yes the amount you'll pay is 1020EUR no extral fee.
I am 23 years and will be 24 in 3 few weeks :)
Also you mentioned earlier that you want to rent the room from 24th February no problem but now that you are interested in renting the room and you'll like me to securely reserve it for you till your arrival then you'll have to send me the following details..

1) Your full name and address 2) Your move in date and move out date 3) Any means of your identity (Passport or ID card).

I will be needing this details to prepare the lease contract as we need to legalize the rent by signing a contract after that you'll proceed with the payment of the deposit and the first month rent to confirm the reservation and an assurance towards the renting of the room. after that you'll have the rental payment receipt in return for the payment made which you'll have with the lease contract as a legal tenant and you can easily move in when you arrive.
Hope you understand this? so i will look forward to read from you again soon.

Elodie.

• 4 Attachments
• Download all

Me
To Elodie Poulin
Feb 10
Hello again,
I saw the pictures now.
I see one picture with Bedroom and one with Living room.
Which one you propose for rent ? And are both closed? I guess just the Bedroom is closed.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 11

Hi,
Yes the bedroom is the room you'll occupy and the living room is for us to share. i have my room too. so the living room is general room for us, maybe for discussion, watching tv together and all :)
I hope you understand better now? so i'll look forward to read from you again soon and we can proceed with the necessary arrangement if you want it to be reserve for you.

Elodie.

Me
To Elodie Poulin
Feb 11
Hey Elodie,
Sorry, I was out all day and as soon as I arrive home I send you the details you asked and copy of my id.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 11
Okay i'll look forward to receive it.
Elodie.

Me
To [email protected]
Feb 12

Finnaly i got home,

Here are the details you asked for :

1) My name
2) Move date and move out : 24 February- 24 August, but with possibility to stay more after.
3) I will attach my id card in this e-mail.

I did not understand how will we proceed with the payment but maybe you can add me on skype or facebook to talk more.

To Me
Feb 12

Hi ,

I received the details but you forgot to include your address.

And about the payment, it would be via bank transfer. i have deactivated my Facebook account for personal reasons but yes we can have a Skype chat or yahoo chat as you said in your first email.

Let me know when you'll like to chat and don't forget to send your address.

Elodie.

Hey,

Well my adress from my Id Card is this :

Str. Bucegi (…)

I am on skype online whenever you want cause i am mobile, but i arrive home after 6. You can add me and we talk.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 12
Okay i recieved your address and yes we can talk tomorrow night on Skype. i'll add you.

Good night and talk tomorrow!

Elodie.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 13
Hi again ,

Can we talk on Skype in like 20-30 minutes time? let me know. i will send you a Skype request soon.

Elodie.

Sure, i am on Skype whenever you want. I am at home. I wait for your request.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 13
Yes i am on Skype now too and i have sent you a request.

Let Skype now.

Elodie.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 16
Hi ,

How was your weekend? i presume good.

You'll find attached to this email the lease contract. you'll have to print it, sign it and have it scan back to me.

Also below is my mother's bank account details for you to make the payment so once the payment is confirmed, you'll have the rental payment receipt too which you'll have with the contract.

Bank name: Lloyd TSB bank
Account Name: M. Poulin
Iban: GB18LOYD77913425580868
Swift/Bic: LOYDGB21J35
Branch: Rye lane Peckham

I hope you understand this better? so i'll look forward to receive the signed and the transfer confirmation/receipt soon.

Elodie.

Me
To Elodie Poulin
Feb 20 at 1:19 PM
Hey. I don t think you see my messages on skype. Give me your nr mobile again. The one you gave me before its not correct.

Me
To Elodie Poulin
Feb 20 at 10:03 PM
Hey Elodie,

I texted you on Skype, i tried to call you either but it`s not working.

Let me know what`s going on please.

Elodie Poulin
To Me
Feb 21 at 9:29 AM
Hi ,

Can you compare my number again, i don't know what is wrong. +352661487635

And i have discussed with my mother and she agreed that you'll pay it 2 weeks after you arrive.

So you don't have to worry, its all sorted,

Have a nice day and see you soon :)

Elodie.

Me
To Elodie Poulin
Feb 21 at 12:36 PM
Hi Elodie,
I arrived in Luxembourg. I am at the office at work. Let me know how can we meet please.

You can come on skype maybe?
The number you gave me now its correct but its not calling. What time you get out from work so I will wait you.

We also talked very much on skype with audio either:
She added me on 13 February 2014 then we talked about the apartament and payment.
She told “ I`ll be sending you the contract soon you`ll sign it and I`ll provide you with my mother`s bank account details for you to make the payment . So once the payment is confirmed you`ll have the rental payment receipt in return too which you`ll have with the lease contract. “
Then we talked by voice in same day for 6 minutes telling me this: “ I actually have to meet someone soon. It will be faster “
She did not gave me her webcam, she said she broke her laptop last week and she is using her mother`s old computer to chat with me.
On 17 February I sent her the contract she gave me signed. So she/he had my signature and my copy Id card too.
After this we agreed to send the payment rent trough Money Gram and not trough bank.
I sent the money in : Uk city Peckham
Name: Maria Poulin
In the same day I asked her mother`s number to call her, but she only gave me her number:
+3526614876635.
On 18 February 2014 I made the transfer trough Money Gram.
On 20 Thursday 2014 she contacted me again for asking me more money.
She said as long as I stay 6 months I am supposed to pay for at least half of the rental period. I didn`t send her more money, but then I started to worry. She also gave me her mother`s number from Uk +447404846561.
When I asked about her work she said : “ I work with the marketing department of a online private marketing company here. I will send you my passport later, give me some minutes please, I have to do something now. “

From 21 february 2014 I texted on skype and yahoo mail but no response. I went to police in Luxembourg and gave them all details about this.

Also on 21 February at 13.00 she/he made a transaction of 49.99 $ with my Ing Bank Romanian ( they just knew I have an opened account on Ing Bank but no other details ). They made a transaction on this website https://filmlair.com/ I can not explain how could this happen but I closed all my accounts from banks.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/