Learn about us and introduce yourself
#32535 by Vertrauen Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:16 am
I'm from South Africa and I used to hear stories about this scams and I always told myself that they will never come to my side - Apparently this guys just want to gain access to our country (SA) illegaly that they're willing to sell their soul just to live in our shores. Here's my story : A while ago I recieved an e-mail from claiming to be my late distant relatives lawyer and wanted me to forward me my banking details and any form of identity for him to start with the insurance payout as my "distant relative" had no siblings.

This fella didn't stop calling me on my cellphone to persue me to forward me this details up until I told him that I was looking into the matter with my lawyer and that my lawyer will contact him soon. After I told him all about this, he begged me not to involve my lawyer and after I refused his request he just stopped calling and sending me e-mails and replying to any of my e-mails.

This guys are so bogus that they're willing to do anything to destroy ones peace of mind with their scams.
One thing about them is that their pronounciation and spelling of english is totally out.

Did I do the right by quoting my lawyer in one of my e-mails?
Advertisement

#32537 by Dotti Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:42 am
Welcome Vertrauen,

Unfortunately, there really is nowhere these scammers won't go, and nobody they won't try to steal from. I'm glad to hear you recognized the scam for what it was.

There is no harm in mentioning your attorney or telling them that your attorney is reviewing the situation. If it were a legitimate inheritance, attorneys would be involved--and often that would include an attorney for the heir. Any time a stranger quickly asks you for your banking info, or objects to you bringing your attorney into a transaction involving a large amount of money, it is safe to assume it is either illegal or a scam. It is also completely harmless to tell these people that your attorney said they were scammers.

The only thing we request is that you don't point out their specific mistakes. By pointing out exactly what they did wrong, you are helping them to improve their scripts so they are more believable to the next person.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.