Learn about us and introduce yourself
#313689 by Ruinous Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:12 pm
I don't want to put the scammer's info up here yet in case it's a misinterpretation, or a miscommunication on my behalf. But I'd love to hear from someone with a different perspective, or collect ideas as to what the scammer was hoping for.

I had posted a small (yet expensive) household appliance on Craigslist. I included the city name as the location of the item. And of course Craiglist lets you designate a general area/radius on a map of where the item currently is.

I received two messages from a single possible buyer - the first was inquiring about the item, and requests that I call him; he included his cell number. The second was a few mins later stating that he is leaving and will be in my area in the next two hours. These are the FIRST communications from him.

I replied within 25 mins stating that the item was not available for pickup today. But, alas, I did not call him, I had only sent him the email, thinking it was sufficient. Almost 3 hours later, he emailed back, absolutely irate - completely lost his shit; that he drove 155 miles, and did not check email until he was in the city. He reports my post as a scam, and follows up a couple times in emails with a bit more venting.

So, I'm 80% sure this is a simple case of some unreasonable expectations on response time from the buyer, mixed with my unwillingness to call someone on the phone on demand. But I also thinks there's a chance that this is some sort of setup to maybe what is a soft scam, where perhaps the buyer solicits something "for his time", and is done so without seeming like a scam.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Doesn't seem like a big payout, and I can't guess as to what the next steps he was hoping for. I probably should have just called him :P
Advertisement

#313691 by AlanJones Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:53 pm
Sounds more like an idiot buyer than a scammer. The only possible angle is, as you said that he might be hoping for compensation.

I'd recommend blocking him and not responding to any more emails from him.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.