Learn about us and introduce yourself
#314489 by 4SlabsOfWeetbix Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:03 pm
I've come across an individual by the name of Lara Phillip who didn't immediately ask for my help.
I just managed to come by her via weChat's "shake" feature. She said she was from Pennsylvania in the US but was visiting Nigeria to purchase bronze heads.

We would just talk for a while. It was only after a few weeks that she ended up needing money. At first a little bit for food as she had spent it all on tickets and documents and had to wait for it to clear. Then for hotel fees while waiting for clearance. Then for a plane ticket itself after selling it to cover more transfer fees for the arts. Now asking for more again as she's being requested for a bribe to get through the airport and are holding her documents against her.

I had decided to trust her prior to this due to her providing a passport (which she needs to collect money from Western Union and Money Gram), as well as the nature she conducted herself.

It was only upon reading of traditional 419 scams did she stand out as a scammer.

The things that lead me to suspicion are:
-In Nigeria
-Continously requesting money and out of urgency
-Orphaned
-No friends
-Lack of American accent upon calling
-No working camera on phone

The things that lead me to want to continue support are:
-passport
-drivers licence
-export documentation
-watermarked photo of her in a Texan bar

I'm unsure how I should continue with this. I've advised her to reach out to the embassy for help, but she claimed they wouldn't help her due to her having criminal history.

I called my local US embassy and they stated that it shouldn't matter. Though they did say that the citizen should reach them. I've attempted to contact the US embassy in Nigeria but to no avail. It would help a lot if I could get a rep out to her, but my only option now with the embassy is to send money to her to go there to which only she can only relate to me the outcome; which is not reliable.
Advertisement

#314490 by AlanJones Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:07 pm
4SlabsOfWeetbix wrote:The things that lead me to want to continue support are:
-passport
-drivers licence
-export documentation
-watermarked photo of her in a Texan bar

All of these are can easily be faked or stolen from other people.

The fact is that the person you are in contact with is a scammer and his (yes, it is almost certainly a young male) only interest in you is in the money that he can trick you into sending to fund his lifestyle as he is to lazy to do a real honest job.

The best thing for you to do is block "her" and don't respond any further. Don't accuse "her" of being a scammer as she'll just deny it and carry on stealing from you.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.