Learn about us and introduce yourself
#314538 by mariko Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 am
I have encountered one victim, This was romance scam case.

The scammer claims to be civil engineer, and the victim woman paid USD 138000 for the scammer. I will post this scammer info later.

This victim was told to pick up him at her country's capital city's airport upon his visit, and the scammer paid her air fare for her to move from her city to the capital city. She also stayed at hotel which scammer has paid and booked for her.

She said that the payment of her domestic flight to the capital city and the hotel room was done by credit card under scammer's name that was Carroll B. Thomas. The victim did not tell me hotel rate and flight ticket scammer paid for her but she said it was quite a big deal, not as much as what she lost though.

I have explained to her that most likely, Carroll is the first name, that is female name. Thomas is surname. And the owner of the credit card is possibly a scam victim or a mule named Ms. Carroll B Thomas, who's credit card was either stolen or given away to the scammer.

The victim said that the travel agency was real and have real website, and was owned by scammer, and was really done the booking so that she could fly to the capital city and waited for him to arrive. (Actually he did not arrive though.)

I told her that this could be explained that scammers use real website and claim as owned by themselves.

I have emphasized to her that scammers never pay money by themselves, but they use mules and other victims to pay any money for the victim. But because of the credit card name matched to the scammer's name and it has been used for more than 6 months, the victim does not fully agree with my explanation. I would like to know further more possibilities I can explain to the victim?

This victim also became a mule. She told me than she has established a company for the scammer and opened bank account for him.
Advertisement

#314589 by Mike Wilson Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 pm
You can explain to the victim that allowing another person to use her account is probably not allowed by her bank and she will be responsible for all account activity because she is the person that opened the account.
She may be really hooked by this scammer and may not believe anything that you tell her.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#314594 by Terminator5 Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:46 am
She really really needs to file a police report and close down that company and bank account . Why can't he open his own ???? . The reason he doesn't is he wants someone else to be responsible.

She's being setup as a Money Mule.

Daniel 8 :25
#314674 by mariko Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 pm
Mike Wilson, Terminator5,

Thanks for comments. You are right. I did explained her that opening account for another person means she is responsible to the crime. She said she did taken measure for it, but I do not trust that statement because she does not explain what she did in order that she will not be accountable for the bank account and dummy company she has established.

If what she says is true, she has been to police and filed the report but local police here does not provide lots of help for this kind of international fraud case. I told her to report about the company and bank account and tell the police that she did not know about that crime.

Thanks and I think I do not get deeply into this case, I did warn her.