Learn about us and introduce yourself
#403266 by J$AfterAll Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm
Hello,

I'm freaking out and I hope you guys can give me your opinion.

My husband posted our speed boat for sale on Craigslist. We live in South Carolina,
USA. He received an email from:

ROBERT BRISSON [email protected] 1 RUE BOURCIER BEAUHARNOIS J6N0K8 QUEBEC CANADA 450-225-3056

Every email my husband received was from the generic Craigslist address; the hotmail address was used only to send emails from my husband to the "Buyer".

The "Buyer's" first email reads: allo XXXXX ok i receive your email cancell your add your boat is sold. i have all the information i need to mail a cerfied chek. TOMorow i go to my bank and prepare the us chek and mail to you. special delivry i don,t know who many days it will take. for information do you have the title for the boat and the trailer enregistrement. if you want to call me my name

My husband used his real email address to respond and sent (via email) these things:
* his full name
* his cell phone number
* his business website
* our home address
* his SC Drivers License number
* a pdf copy of the boat's title
* our bank routing number
* our bank wire transfer number
* his checking account number

Here are two pictures that contain the five emails:

https://imgur.com/UnGjrDB

https://imgur.com/rvPzvDK

WE STILL HAVE THE BOAT and physical title in hand. Money did hit the account today, but I cannot believe that my husband did this? I don't see how this is real in any form or fashion when the emails check off almost every "WARNING! Scammer!" box there is!?

My husband thinks I am over reacting and that since we have the boat, nothing is wrong. But, like I said, I am freaking out. If y'all agree with me, what do I need to do to protect us?

Thank you in advance,

worried wife
Advertisement

#403285 by AlanJones Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:16 am
At the very least, your husband is probably now a victim of identity theft. The scammer will most likely use the information that he got to set up fake email addresses in your husband's name and post fake adverts "selling" your boat to scam other victims.

It is also very likely that the fund that have appeared in your account are from a fake/stolen check that has been deposited and they will be reversed at some stage in the future (although this could take several months).

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.