Learn about us and introduce yourself
Advertisement

#28797 by Ralph Tue May 18, 2010 6:39 am
Hi Bob and welcome.

Its great to have you here.

Please take a look around and if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask
#28832 by The Enchantress Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Dustpuppy.

Glad to have you join the crusade. :=)

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#28843 by David Jansen Tue May 18, 2010 3:23 pm
Hi Dustpuppy.

Are you sure you want such a nickname? :D

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#28845 by Dustpuppy Tue May 18, 2010 3:50 pm
David Jansen wrote:Are you sure you want such a nickname?

You mean because it's yucky? Or for more practical reasons?
#28849 by target Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm
I am a Western Union agent in a large metropolitan area. I see, and prevent, an inordinate amount of scams. We see them all; puppy scams, lottery scams, advance fee, excess fee. I think that your site would be
great required reading for all Western Union/ Money Gram agents. Continuing anti-money laundering/
anti-scam training is required by law, and by Western Union policy. If it is okay with you, I will suggest your
site as required reading; to illustrate all the possible scams that are out there.
It is not only the uninformed, the naive, the unsophisticated consumer who gets taken by these scammers.
An account executive from a very large printing company requests to send a large sum of money to a
freight forwarder/shipper. Immediately I question why a large corporation would be using Western Union to
pay a shipper. Establish an account with the shipper, or cut a check, pay by credit card, but pay by Western Union? I was told not to worry, that the bank had already verified the credit card was good.....the card that
was used to purchase the large printing order. I questioned why the purchaser didn't just pay the shipper directly with the same credit card. The account executive was adamant about sending this money. Because
of other aspects I saw in this transaction, I knew that his printing company would lose the cost of their services; and I refused to send his transaction. Again he declared that the bank said the credit card was good.
I countered that the bank is not going to reimburse his loss on his company's services, and that he indeed had
been scammed. No one likes to be told to their face that they have been snookered; but some of us, even
at Western Union, don't want to see hard working people being cheated out of their money. He never did
thank me for saving him these additional funds; but I did see him again, and he verified that his company
did take a loss on the printing purchased with a bogus credit card.
That your people take their personal time to warn potential victims, warms my heart. I just wanted you to
know that there are others working to protect these victims, at a different point in the process. Contractually I am prevented from releasing any proprietary information about Western Union, but if you ever want the
perspective from this side of the transaction, just rattle my cage.
#28850 by David Jansen Tue May 18, 2010 5:41 pm
Welcome here target.

It looks like you're doing a great job at your WU outlet. :=)
Of course we want to see more from the "inside", just send a PM to me or any of the moderators with any information that could be usefull for us. And yes, it would be a good thing if all WU and MG agents were told to read on scamwarners, but i wonder if that ever going to happen.

Being a victim doesn't mean you stand alone. We're here to help you.
#28851 by Dotti Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm
Welcome target!

It's great to hear that you have been successful in helping to prevent some of these scams! Of course we are happy to have our information used to educate others in your industry, as you deal one-on-one with some of the victims who may have never suspected enough to check things out.

It is true that people from all backgrounds can be victims of these scammers. If you look at the debt collection scam information, that scam targets attorneys--and multiple attorneys have been taken in for losses of hundreds of thousands of dollars! The increasingly popular au pair scams target young adults searching for a job abroad, while romance scams target people in all walks of life who are looking for someone to love.

The more educated all people in the process are, the more we can keep these scammers from succeeding. Feel free to include your contributions, and to ask questions whenever you want more information!

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#29359 by Yanto Wed May 26, 2010 6:49 am
Hey All,

My Name's Iain, and I'm UK based.

Just having fun weeding out a Russian Bride scam at the moment, so thought I'd join somewhere I could add to the growing database of them

:=)
#29360 by Crispy Duck Wed May 26, 2010 7:38 am
Welcome to Scamwarners, Iain/Yanto. :D

The Russian dating scammers can be fun to deal with & any information you post could well help others who may search for the name, email address or scripts. :oh-joy:

We hope (if you are baiting the scammer) that you are doing so from a different address than your real life one? You may like to visit our sister site, 419eater.com, where there are a lot of helpful people with good advice on safe-baiting.

Please feel free to look around here & to ask if you want any help or advice.
#29361 by Yanto Wed May 26, 2010 8:14 am
Thanks for the welcome Crispy Duck :D

Be sure I'll pop some info in the relevant sub forum, it amazes me how simple some of them are to spot :laugh-s:

I'll also go and have a look at the site you mentioned, and yes, I have an email alias for the fun :wink:
#29399 by Jillian Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm
Welcome Yanto, we're glad to have you contribute to the scammers profiled here. Let us know if you have any questions.

A belated welcome to you, Target, I was thrilled to read your post. We'd be very happy to have the information here be required reading for understanding scams! Let me know if we can be of further help or support to Western Union to help cut down on people sending money to scammers. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#29618 by Lou Knee Dude Sun May 30, 2010 3:52 pm
Hi everyone! I came here from the eater site. This looks like a wonderful resource for anyone who wants to learn how to protect themselves, family and friends from scammers.

The hobby of scam baiting can be fun, but it's not for everyone. You can still do a lot of good by educating yourself and others about scams. The best protection is knowledge.

Regards, Lou
#29626 by The Enchantress Sun May 30, 2010 4:09 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners Lou Knee Dude.

Wise words - I agree educate, alert and make others aware is vital and necessary.

Please look around the site guides and sections - if you have any questions/observations please post.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.