Learn about us and introduce yourself
#33676 by MightyMouse! Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm
I just noticed JohnnyS's comment about not trying to get the spammer's sites shut down - on that note, it would appear I've made a bad suggestion, again. But I have to consider how much time and energy goes into baiting, vs, what if all of the baiters reported the spammers every time they popped up, and the spammers had to waste their time getting new email addys, only to have them shut down again, every time they started spamming. Not to mention, all of the replies to their spam emails, that they would never receive.

I'm just sayin' --

MM!
Advertisement

#33694 by Jillian Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:49 pm
Hi MightyMouse. I've not looked at this thread in ages, it's quite old from when the site was first set up. Emma is a former adminstrator and not active here any longer. Julia is currently not active either. I'll edit the OP to correct that information.

As for shutting down sites, we do shut those down, ie: fraudulent websites set up by scammers to prop up their scams are entered into the database of fraudulent sites kept by aa419.org and reported to hosters and registrars. What we don't shut down, and I think what you were referring to, are their email addresses. So you're correct, we wouldn't recommend using the reporting tool at SpamCop for advance fee fraudsters. Do use it for other types of spam though! We've discussed the issue of whether or not to shut down scammer's email addresses at length both here and at 419Eater. The benefits of having them continue to use the same addresses outweigh the benefits of shutting down their email addresses.

Reporting their addresses for closure really doesn't do much damage to them. They can open another new one in minutes and just continue on. The drawback for us when they do this, though, is that the information we have posted here becomes obsolete. We much prefer they keep using the same addresses. The longer they do, the more those will be posted around anti fraud sites for potential victims to find.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#33713 by MightyMouse! Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am
Well, I could delete it, but considering where it's been placed, I don't think we have to worry about anyone reading it anyway --

MM!