Learn about us and introduce yourself
#184699 by nail180 Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:31 pm
Hi, my previous account was xxxxxx, and I did a somewhat detailed post on a Cameroon Pet Scam, apparently for no reason, both my account and topic were deleted? Is this the norm here? I contacted an moderator as a joke I asked him if he wanted a Pet lol (Michael), because he was cool on the topic, and I asked him if it´s possible to get these Pet Scammers. Now I´m exchanging messages with one from Cameroon... when he asks from my phone, should I give him Interpol´s number perhaps..
Last edited by Jillian on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed username
Advertisement

#184701 by Dotti Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:08 pm
The simplified version is that we had some server problems, and we were briefly down. Our site was moved to a new server. A few posts and signups that occurred during the "problem" window had not been saved to the latest backup, and they were simply lost as part of the move.

As far as what you are describing, it is called scambaiting, and it is something we cover in depth at our sister site, 419eater.com . We don't recommend giving numbers of interpol or any other law enforcement agency, because the agencies don't have the background info or evidence to make an arrest based on those phone calls anyway. Forcing them to deal with random scammer calls will take already understaffed law enforcement from their other responsibilities. There are much better ways to have an impact (and more fun too.)

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#184716 by Michael Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:28 am
Hi and welcome back :D You certainly did nothing wrong. Au contraire, your post was very comprehensible and I could only dream that other people reporting the scams here were as clear and complete as you were. The problem was entirely out of our hands - on behalf of our bloody ISP I hereby apologize ;)

As for the scambaiting, that is something that can potentially do a lot of damage to scammers. However, we strongly discourage using your real email address for that. If you are interested and want to learn more how to do it safely, take a peek at our sister forum.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#184718 by AlanJones Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 am
It looks like Google is our friend and had started indexing your original thread. I'm not sure whether this is everything you posted, but at least it is a start.

I've put it in a thread in Pet Scams here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=79564, so please add anything to it that Google hadn't picked up.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.