Learn about us and introduce yourself
#192182 by sOphia_94 Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 am
Hello,

I'm Sophia, i'm new here. I almost got scammed, and unfortunatly i sent a copy of my passport. What should i do?
And recently, this morning, i received a job offer as an au pair, but i'm kinda diffident now, can you please help me to know if it's a scammer? Thank you in advance.

Here are the mails:
Dear Aupair

We are the Perkins family and we are currently in search for an au pair We reside in London UK.

Our family is not a large family as we are comprised of 3 members only,me my Daughter and our Chef
I am a widower and have a Daughter Sarah who would turn 4 in few months.

We are in need for an au pair who is willing to catch fun and at the same time take care of my daughter while am away i am willing to pay for your services.

Your profile was shortlisted from www.Newaupair.com

My Member ID is 345630

If we sound like the family you are looking for then you write us and inform us on your details of availability and any other question and we would get back to you soon

Thanks
Adams Perkins For The Family

-----------------------------------------

Dear Sophi

Good to hear from you

We really appreciate your response and we hope to make a happy family with you I am a single parent with a daughter Sarah who would be 4 by next month Sarah is a free and Playful Kid whom i believe you would get to like because she is easy going.

I work as the Human Resource Manager at the GE Energy Company here in London and our Home address is No 17 Fontaine Rd London, Greater London SW16 3PB.

You Main Duty is to take care of Sarah when am not around but your evenings and weekends would be free,Sarah has not yet enrolled for any school so you would be staying at home with her while we are at work We also have plans of enrolling you for an Evening English Class this would help you spend your evening qualitatively,

You would be expected to work for at least 25 hours per week.Your weekends could be spent anywhere but we will appreciate it if you can spend it with us.

As our au pair we would like to take you as part of our family so we prefer to give you a live in accommodation of a fully furnished bedroom with desktop computer and a Wi fi Connection for your complete relaxation,we would also pay you 250GBP per week for your upkeep You would be free as any other member of the family.

If you are really interested in joining us then you send us your details or CV (If your have One) with any of your recent photos so we can show it to Sarah and see what she feels about you.

Hoping to receive a positive response from you

his email is :[email protected]
Advertisement

#192183 by AlanJones Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 am
There is not much you can do now about them having a copy of your passport I am afraid, but it is unlikely that they will have even looked at it. they just ask for it to look legitimate.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that "Adams Perkins" ([email protected]) is an African scammer and not a real English person - his writing style and various other factors give him away.

It would be worth you having a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3019#p11459 that gives details of au pair scams. In particular, check the link in the final post that gives details of how to get an au pair visa in the UK - you may find that you are not even eligible to be an au pair there.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#192184 by sOphia_94 Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:24 am
Hi Alanjones, thank you very much for replying.
I'm gonna check the link right now. Thank you again. :D
#192186 by TerranceBoyce Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:43 am
That's a novel idea

.... with any of your recent photos so we can show it to Sarah and see what she feels about you.

Asking a 4 year old to choose an au pair based on looking at a photo is silly.

If one thing is irrelevant when employing an au pair, it's what you look like, but scammers are idiots.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#192203 by vonpaso xlura Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 pm
Most likely what the scammer will do with the passport is edit it and change the name or the picture and use it in another scam. He is not interested in identity theft. He is in West Africa, as shown by both multiple features of his writing style and his choice of name, and a passport from your country, unless you're also in West Africa, would not be useful to him for identity theft.

... ni los estafadores heredarán el reino de Dios. 1 Cor. 6:10
#192205 by jolly_roger Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 pm
Hello sOphia_94. As the other members have correctly stated, it is a scam attempt directed at you. I thought the script looked familiar. Have a look at the first post on viewtopic.php?f=42&t=78744
You will see a strikingly similar text to the one you posted. The scam artists usually use the old copy and paste because they are too slack in writing their own.
#192207 by sOphia_94 Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:45 pm
jolly_roger wrote:Hello sOphia_94. As the other members have correctly stated, it is a scam attempt directed at you. I thought the script looked familiar. Have a look at the first post on viewtopic.php?f=42&t=78744
You will see a strikingly similar text to the one you posted. The scam artists usually use the old copy and paste because they are too slack in writing their own.

Thank you very much, i read it and it really is similar. It was a good idea to ask in this site.
Thank you very much everyone. :)