Information on romance scams and scammers.
#195931 by Melperereka Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 am
So this guy started talking to me, he claims to be a 51yrs old sniper army sargeant. He claims to be in Afghanistan, the area that show in his facebook (https://www.facebook.com/peter.hopkins.374) shows only one military base, which is Camp EGGERS. How can I make sure this person is real? I wonder if there is an army list or someone who can just say yay or nay!!!!

any thoughts would be appreciated!

thank you!
Advertisement

#195932 by AlanJones Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:45 am
The fact that he started talking to you and claims to be in the US military is enough to tell me it is a scam. Real soldiers do not randomly contact people on Facebook - they are busy working.

I can't check the facebook profile at the moment, but I'm sure it will be the standard scammer profile - recent with a few pictures of him in uniform.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#195964 by TerranceBoyce Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 am
The facebook page is 'unavailable' which is a good sign that he's been reported as a scammer by someone else, because they normally don't just contact one person at a time.

It goes without saying Melperereka that you're dealing with a fraudster. The next thing is that he'll usually want you to pay for him to get leave because he's fallen madly in love with you. He wants money, and that's why he does it and thinks telling you that he's in the army will impress you.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#195992 by AlanJones Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 am
You have to be signed into Facebook to see the profile. It is a definite scammer profile - a couple of pictures and that is it.

Here are his stolen pictures that he uses.

Image Image

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#196189 by katie71 Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:49 pm
I have had the same thing done to me on uniform dating .com I have informed them that pretty well every guy in a american uniform on the site is a scammer, as have a genuine long term family friend thats only just retired from the us army that actually checked these people out for me. They have little things they get wrong especially the fact that africas write the way they speak and there grammatical english is so easy to see when they get it wrong. If they give you full names check out on facebook put US after there name, google there name, see how old there pages are if brand new then fake. X :)