Learn about us and introduce yourself
#197100 by rozyette Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:24 pm
I have been looking for days for an accommodation in New York. I became very familiar with the prices.
I stumped on Airbnb a great, cheap, well located and spacious apartment. Exactly what I wanted.
I then found the same apartment in Roomorama, same description, same photo, a slight price difference but still cheap.
I contacted them through both website and they said to make the booking from theirs.
Which I did, and the website looked very trustworthy.
They replied to me within 10 min, describing again all the quality of the apartment and adding a $300 warranty damaged fee, which I understood.
Because I planned to stay 2 months, they gave me a discount of $300.
The thing that ticked for me is that they were only accepting payments from MoneyGram transfer. No credit card, no paypal, no cash. I am not sure what this is but when the money is sent, you can no longer retrieve it.
My sister lives right next door to the place, I asked if it was possible for her to come by, see the place and/or go to their office.
They said since January 2009 we no longer show apartments prior to arranged check-ins. Actual pictures and specific description of each property are listed on the Ad.

I had my suspicions from the start, so I investigated the name.
Welkom-inn.com was their previous web address (lasted 85 days), they now are welkom-inn.net (37 days to date).
Check on http://www.scamadviser.com/
Both of these websites are located in Ghana (Africa) and the owner of the website is using a service to hide their identity.

I have send them a response email asking how they could have change the policy in 2009 if they only existed for a few months.

Right after, I received an email from Roomorama where I had booked (not paid) the place, stating that the apartment is no longer available for the dates I required.
I have yet to receive a response from them, but this is definitely and scam website, please do not pay anything to them.
Advertisement

#197122 by Mike Wilson Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:10 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners rozyette,
Thank you for posting this information as a warning to others. Please post the email that shows the request for payment via Western Union ( be sure to remove your personal information first) this email can be used as evidence to get the site shut down.

Legitimate rental companies will let you preview the property before making a deposit and legitimate companies do not ask for a payment via Western Union or Money Gram.

www.welkom-inn.net
1400 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington, DC
P: 24/7 customer support: 1-646-389-0784 << VoIP number in New York
E: [email protected]

If you have any additional questions about this scam please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#197160 by rozyette Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:17 am
EMAIL RECEIVED FROM THEM:
to: XXXXX me XXXXXX
date: Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM
subject: Re: New accommodation booking
Hi,

Thank you for choosing our apartment for your vacation. We hope that you'll have a pleasant stay; the apartment is available for your chosen dates . I am quite sure that this is arguably one of the best apartment you can get around at this reduced rate. I cannot guarantee the hold of the apartment until you make a reservation for it.

You are to make a payment of the rental fee plus refundable damage fee of $300 which enable us to reserve and secure the apartment for your choosing date. The advance payment is required before arrival. Our Payment Method Is MoneyGram Transfer.

Note: Damages fee is fully refundable on the day of departure, provided all the amenities in the unit are accounted for. The doorman will be refunding you the damages fee.

Check In : There is a 24 HR Doorman at the apartment. You will be getting the keys to the apartment from him and checking out through him.

Amenities Included:

- Spacious suite ( Not Shared !! You'll be having the whole apartment to yourself only )

- Cable-TV

- Upgraded kitchen

- Internet ( WIFI )

- Extra bedding, linens provided.

- Elevator Access

- Parking is available

- air-conditioning

- linens provided

- cooking utensils

- oven

- microwave

- stove top burners

- telephone and so much more.

Kindly get back to me if you are interested so I can send you the required document (Agreement form and payment method) for reservation. I will be waiting to read back from you.

Sincerely,
Samantha
#197224 by Mike Wilson Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:04 pm
Thanks for posting the initial email. The request for a payment via Money Gran is a guarantee that it is a scam.

The follow is the text from a PDF file received from this scammer.
VACATION RENTAL

Apartment Address: 5225 Collins Ave #1114 Miami Beach, FL 33140
Owners name: Samantha Akina

Renter's Name: _____________________________________________________

Renter's Address (Include City, State, and Zip):________________________________________________________
Renter’s Home Phone:_______________________________________________

E-mail Address: ____________________________________________________
Reserved Date: In: _______________Out: ______________

Number of: Adult_______________Children____________

Pet(Tick as appropriate): Cat Dog Others

1. AGREEMENT: VACATION RENTAL HOME, the Owner, and Renter agree as follows: Above
Renter is an adult and will be an occupant of the unit during the entire reserved period. Other occupants
will be family members, friends or responsible adults. Use of the premises will be denied to persons not
falling within the foregoing categories, and as a result they would have to vacate the property
immediately without any refund. No keys will be issued to anyone who is not an adult.

2. SECURITY DEPOSIT: The security deposit is $300 for a vacation rental. Your security deposit is
fully refundable at the time of your departure provided that the property is in the same condition as
when occupancy commenced and all terms of this agreement are met. Renter is liable for all
replacements and repairs that are outside what is considered normal wear and tear.

3. PAYMENT SCHEDULE:

Quoted Full Rental fee including Tax: $880 (@ $110 night)

Refundable Security Deposit of $300:00(Will be refunded, on your day of Departure)
Total Deposit to be paid = $1180:00

4. PAYMENT METHOD: Payment should be made Western Union Money Transfer

Name: Samantha Akina
Address:<removed>

5. CANCELLATION: Should you wish to cancel this reservation, notice of cancellation MUST BE IN
WRITING AND RECEIVED before 30 days to your Arrival date. If less a cancellation fee of $20 dollars
will be deducted from the paid rent and you'll be paid the rest.

6. CHECK IN: CHECK IN TIMES ARE ALLOWED ONLY WHEN THE PROPERTY IS CLEANED AND
READY FOR OCCUPANCY AND PRIOR APPROVAL IS REQUIRED. Keys will be ready for pick up at
property location. Or we can send down the keys to you hope it will be in a safe hands.

7. CHECK OUT: Check out time is 11:00 AM, except for guest with pets; it is 10:00 AM. THERE IS AN
EXTRA CHARGE FOR LATE CHECK OUT AND PRIOR APPROVAL IS NEEDED. Please leave all keys and
remote controls at the location. A $50 hour fee will be charged for each hour (or portion thereof) past
the required check out time. A $50 per item fee will be charged for each lost key.

8. CLEANING: Each property will be inspected, sanitized and cleaned after your departure. The rental
fee you have paid will provide for four hours of normal cleaning so that you can enjoy your vacation up to
the last moment. YOU ARE REQUIRED to leave the property in the same general condition that you
received it by making sure, dishes are done and put away, and the home is generally picked up and
ready to be vacuumed, dusted and sanitized.

9. WHAT WE SUPPLY: The property is equipped and set up as a fully furnished property that will
include bedspreads, linens, blankets, pillows, towels, as well as a fully equipped kitchen, TVs,
furnishings. All amenities as listed in the AD would be provided.

10. SLEEPING CAPACITY/DISTURBANCES: Renters and all other occupants will be required to
vacate the premises and forfeit the rental fee and security deposit for any of the following: A. Occupancy
exceeding the sleeping capacity stated on the reservation confirmation. B. Using the premises for any
illegal activity, but not limited to, the possession, serving or consumption of alcoholic beverages by or to
persons less than 21 years of age. C. Causing damage to the premises rented or to any of the
neighboring properties. D. Any other acts which interferes with neighbors' right to quiet enjoyment of
their property.

11. There from. In any action concerning the rights, duties or liabilities of the parties to this agreement,
their principals, agents, successors or assignees the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover
reasonable attorney fees and costs.

REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE RENTING A PRIVATE HOME. PLEASE TREAT IT WITH THE SAME
RESPECT YOU WOULD LIKE SHOWN TO YOUR OWN HOME.

Renter’s Signature Date

NOTE: Once Payment has been Verified, You'll receive a Receipt ASAP to confirm your reservation..
]

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon