Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#33601 by lupin Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 pm
Hey

I am looking to buy a laptop from China (because it's a lot cheaper than here in the UK) and I stumbled upon this website:

http://www.jingjingtrade.com

I have spoken to them via msn and they have given me tracking numbers of products that they have sent, but I'm still not 100% sure, because their telephone number also links to other websites and they use hotmail email...
Also, they claim to sell the iphone 4g 64gb, but I don't think Apple has even released this?

Please help

Advertisement

#33603 by Michael Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:18 pm
100% scam, most definately. Along with the points you listed I found that the site is less than 2 weeks old, an even bigger red flag. They prefer payment through Western Union/ Moneygram. All hints that these are scammers. The whole site is a huge red flag, every single possible hint that it's a fake is here. Buying electronics from China is very tricky, because there are literally hundreds of fake sites like this that operate from China.

I'd really, really advise you to rethink buying a chinese laptop, even if you'd find a legitimate site.. When there's a problem with the laptop it's not quite easy to send it back to China for repairs, too. In the end it's your choice, but I would never buy my electronics from a chinese site. The risk is just too high. If you'd really want to, I guess my best advise would be to go with the laptop producer's website itself.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#33606 by lupin Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm
Ok :) Thank you very much!

Whew - Scamwarners has saved me twice now ^_^

I really appreciate it.

Ps: How do you check how old a website is?
#33607 by lupin Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm
Oh btw, where would you recommend that I buy the laptop from? The UK is about 1.5X the price of the USA :/

Should I order it from the USA?

Thanks
#33617 by Jillian Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:03 am
Hi Lupin.

You can check information on websites with this tool: http://www.domaintools.com/ Once you put in the domain name (don't include the http:// or www part) you'll get information with a series of tabs across the top. Click on the one for registration and you'll see the date the website was registered on and for how long.
Please know that a very recent or short (one year) registration is only a red flag and many legitimate websites do have those characteristics as well. One way that this might indicate a site is fraudulent is if a site is claiming to have been in business for quite some time but was only registered recently.

As for recommendations for where to make purchases, that isn't something we can do here. Generally I would suggest that you stick with well known companies for online purchases. You can also do searches on a questionable company to see what information is available online, or ask here.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#39620 by catweazel Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:57 am
Attention!
Don't order or buy something from this website: www.jingjingtrade.com
They are scammers. The sales persons name is Yany.
We ordered several products of them and they send us one fake PSP and one fake iPad called iRobot.
So don't buy anything from this company. The head company is called "famewiseholding".
#40796 by PEDRO54 Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:44 pm
I can't speak for the site mentioned but I do know of a friend who bought a laptop from China and it had a Chinese keyboard !!!

He got nowhere when he tried to return it, I did put him in touch with a student from China who was studying at one of the Oxford University's and he did a deal which got him some of his money back but it still was an expensive lesson. Pete