Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#43544 by The Watcher Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:27 pm
I have good reason to believe that the site Ukash-inc.net is being used as a clone site, initially for phishing but now it looks more elaborate. BEWARE !
Full story in online scams section
Advertisement

#43545 by The Watcher Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:29 pm
My first post, I hope it's in the right place. One of my family has been scammed out of money involving payment for goods on Gumtree using Ukash to pay. Short version; Seller won't use PayPal, suggests Ukash. I had never heard of them but this involves buyer getting a voucher from agents of Ukash such as Costcutter stores wherupon buyer gets a voucher code and tells seller they have bought the voucher and please send the goods. Seller gets no money until buyer is satisfied. However !!!!! An email was received purporting to be from Ukash asking voucher number for authorisation. Unfortunately, trusting relation emailed back voucher code. Surprise surprise, it came from a clone site that looks like the genuine Ukash one and the £375 is now lost. Ukash say it was (somehow) cashed at an unauthorised dealer so we are investigating how that is even possible. They also they knew this had happened before but appear to have done nothing about it. Beware of Ukash and have been less than helpful so far merely pointing at the small print that says "don't tell anyone the voucher code"

Moderator note: I have moved this post to the fake sites post with the above post as they are on the same topic. ~ Bubbles
#43548 by Bubbles Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 am
Welcome to ScamWarners The Watcher, yes you (now) have posted in the correct place. We are sorry that your lost funds to a scam. It sounds like it is the site that is acting like the real thing that is the problem.

We do have site killers who love to get rid of fake sites. If you could post up more of the information, like the URL of the fake site that took the money. We are glad you found us and hope that others can be helped by your story.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#43567 by The Watcher Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 am
Thanks for your reply. The fake site being used was Ukash-inc.net. I have had a reply posted on another forum purporting to be from someone at Ukash saying that that site was taken down in October. A Whois tells me that it was set up in Novemeber, however. I am treating the reply on the other forum with interest/suspicion. Personally I am very careful about online transactions and phishing etc. but the scam was on one of may family that got taken in by it having never used Ukash before.
#43569 by Michael Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:36 am
Hi The Watcher,

Could you please provide me the emails you received from ukash-inc.net, with a set of headers? I could use those as evidence to get the site closed down. You can post them here or send them to my mail adress, whichever you prefer. If you are unsure about what headers are, just tell us which provider you use and we'll explain you how to do it.

Account inactive - messages are not being monitored
#43579 by The Watcher Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 pm
Thanks Michael, I'll get a copy of it and pass it on. As I said in my post it is a family member that is the victim and not me directly.
#43617 by The Watcher Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:20 pm
Latest news, I have been contacted by a member of Ukash staff in their management team who is taking the matter more seriously than the staff on the end of the helplines :roll: . Ukash have now posted a warning on their own (genuine!) website about the clone and, I'm told, will be getting the clone site taken down asap. thanks for your help so far and I'll keep you informed.
#43622 by Bubbles Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:37 pm
That is good news that the real company is looking into dealing with the fake site. Are you able to get Michael the information requested above? We and I am sure your relative appreciate your diligence in this situation. Thank you for keeping us informed. :D

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#43943 by The Watcher Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:30 pm
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I've been running around between countries as I work abroad a lot. I will endeavour to get more info as requested. The clone site has, in fact, been closed down in a very short space of time. I hope not too many other people got caught by it.