Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#355232 by AlanJones Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:50 am
Fake investment company website swordfishfinancial.com.

From the Website:
Swordfish Financial. Unit 2512, 25/F, Langham Place Office Tower, 8 Argyle Street, Mongkok,
Hong Kong
Telephone: 00(852)58087224
[email protected]

From the WhoIs for swordfishfinancial.com:
Updated Date: 2017-05-25T21:42:10Z
Creation Date: 2009-04-13T19:16:51Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-04-13T19:16:51Z

Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC

While the domain has been registered for nearly 9 years, a quick look at the history of the actual content shows that it only became the website it is now sometime between May and July last year. Prior to that it was just a holding page for 2 years. Scammers will buy old unused domains to add their fake websites to, so that they can appear to be an established business.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
Advertisement

#355272 by PSPITERI Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 pm
Hi Alan,

Thank you for the confirmation.

I have been approached by this team whose bogus names run as Mr Thomas Anderson - Portfolio Manager, Joseph Swann - Accounts and Allocations, and I would say their mastermind Mr Steven Wright - Senior Portfolio Manager.

Practically this bogus outfit, starts off by telling you that you have been referred to them by some other financial advisor (stating an unknown name) and that they would like to take you on as a client if you provide the time to listen. First call was through the Portfolio Manager who then introduces you at a later call to the actual Senior Portfolio Manager. They are professionals in what they offer financially and in answering questions, whilst providing you time to digest the whole issue and building you up for the kill.

In my case they were trying to sell me shares in NES - Newmont Mining Corporation at a value lower than the existent stock price since they state to hold an allotment of shares for their clients. Anyway the promised kill was 38% over the invested sum in 4 months. Actually NES is profitable as a Gold Mining Company and that is why they offer these type of companies.

I was forwarded all kinds of documentation, including Financial Track Record, Account Application Form, Trade Confirmation, Account Number and of course 2 Remittance Bank Accounts, one in Citibank HK and the other in Unicredit Dortmund.

They are expecting me to do the transfer imminently but of course they are in for a ride themselves.

This outfit run their business out of Jumpstart Business Centre – Mongkok Virtual Office at the address given being Unit 2512, 25/F Langham Place Office Tower, 8 Argyle Street, Mong Kok, Hong Kong. This Centre also offers Hong Kong Shelf Companies. Swordfish Financial could have originated through them.

As for the phone number in use, this has also raised some eyebrows and is considered as a SCAM number ….https://who-called.co.uk/Number/0085258087224. The telephone number is registered as Mobile/VoIP which a legitimate business would not be using (they would have proper landline numbers).

Like you pointed out the as for the website itself, the domain is nearly 9 years old, it only became what it is now in the middle of last year. Before that it was just a holding page.
So, wanted to thank you for confirming my suspicion whilst hoping that other persons do their homework first before falling for such schemes.

If only there was a way to report them to the HK authorities to shut them down.

Thanks.

Pierre