Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#46730 by Siren Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:50 pm
Lloyds TSB Lloyds [email protected]

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, 17 February 2011 1:43:56 AM
To: *my email*

Microsoft SmartScreen marked this message as junk and we'll delete it after ten days.
Wait, it's safe! | I'm not sure, show content

Dear *my email*,

Due to concerns for the safety and integrity of the online banking community we have issued the following warning message :

Your account will be suspended within the next 24 hours due to several unsuccessful login attemps on it.

To prevent this to happen please login securely to our activation link by clicking here today.

If you have already confirmed your information then please disregard this message.

Thank you for your time,
'Lloyds TSB' customer service.

We are sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused.

(This e-mail has been sent to *my email* by 'Lloyds' Banking Group)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2011 'Lloyds'Banking Group

Now this one is nothing like any scam I have come accross before but it sure got my attention. Firstly because it appeared in my junk folder in my inbox... all emails from Lloyds go to my inbox. Secondly, it said "dear *my emal", all previous emails I have received from Lloyds used my real name as after all they do have my personal details. Thirdly is the email it was sent from, that to me does not look anything like an email address used by an official bank. I did bank with Lloyds a couple of years ago and do still have an account with them but have not attempted to log on to the internet side of it as I don't even have internet access to my Lloyds account. And then of course there is the pitiful excuse for English, this is a well known British bank they aren't likely to have any and definitely not so many spelling and gramatical errors. Be alert Llyods customers their is a scammer trying to victimise their clients.
Advertisement

#46745 by Jillian Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 pm
This is a phishing email. The text asking you to click "here" was probably a hyperlink leading to a phishing website/page. (Don't click it).

See this information on the real bank's website: http://www.lloydstsb.com/security/phishing.asp

They state:

We will NEVER send you an email, text message or a link direct to a website asking you to enter your Internet Banking details.

You can report phishing emails impersonating Lloyds to [email protected].

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#46827 by Siren Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:53 pm
Yep, thought that was the case, not to worry I am smarter than to click links I don't trust and definitely smarter than to input my banking details. I received another from ANZ this time, a bank with which I have never held an account of any sort. ANZ doesn't even know of my existence so this one is definitely an illegitimate one too!

ANZ Bank ANZ [email protected]

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo
Sent: Thursday, 17 February 2011 11:07:42 AM
To: *my email*

Microsoft SmartScreen marked this message as junk and we'll delete it after ten days.
Wait, it's safe! | I'm not sure, show content

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer ID : 000-5432-654386-PSI

Your account is suspended due to ANZ major Terms are being changed.
To re-activate your account you need to complete the ANZ security page to verify the legitimate account holder:

Verify My Account Information

Your account will be automatically activated after security details confirmed.
We would consider terminating your access to your saved funds if you failed to verify the rightful holder of this account.

You can help us provide you with the most relevant information by

taking a moment to tell us your e-mail preferences.

And of course you can unsubscribe at any time.

Remember, ANZ is committed to your security and protection.

To find out more, take a look at our Information Security section

under Privacy and Security on the Web site.