Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#60663 by reeeenda Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 am
This happened at the checkout for a site called Coolert-shirts.com.
If you googlemap the address in Iowa provided, it leads you to a very shady looking shed of a house.
I tried calling both numbers provided. One of them was disconnected, the other led me to what I believe is a fax machine.

I was able to place my order, before making any form of payment. It sent me the receipt.

But that is not why I suspect fraud

Upon checkout, it led me to a paypal site that lacked the green [PayPal,Inc. [US]] on the left of the URL. Also, regarding the order, it listed my quantity as 1 when I had 2 t-shirts in my cart.

When I revisit the link now, it says that paypal has signed me out, and it has the green bar.

Halfway through entering my credit card information information, I started to get a suspicious feeling. I had typing in my card number, the security code, and the expiration date, but not my name or any other information. I did not send it, but I clicked away to the first payment option (Sign into Paypal). There is no way they can receive my information I typed out, if I did not send it right?

I am not sure if it was a fraud, as when I revisit it now, it appears to be legitimate, stating that is has logged me out :https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=pyGkO9I8t0dW1MiTfI5Kan-TfNd-PA4vdDgY76EQ0QOjTyUG71y4u04tJvW&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b61f737ba21b08198227acaf63b39d7a7758cfec92c4fedc4

I am not sure what to make of this. This is the first time I've encountered anything like this. I sent the owner of the T-shirt site a really bitchy, threatening email about the disconnected phone number/fake address, the possible fake paypal site, and the fact that I've tracked his domain registration/IP address and I'm ready to forward it to the authorities...

Am I over-reacting? Or do I actually have something to worry about?
Advertisement