Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#148725 by gena209 Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:37 pm
I have been trying to get information for the betterthandiamonds.com website and cant find anything. Their site seems real. They have all these ratings and this>7 Patents Pending, 1 US Patent Granted. They claim to be 18 years in business, part of the JVC committee, verified merchant ,etc. I buy online all the time and never have reason to question anything but this raised red flags. I bought earrings for about $500, did not get a confirmation email. I called them, had to leave a voice message, they called back and just sounded odd. Gave me no real information, said their computers have been down but just came across as being odd.
Can someone please tell me if this is a REAL website?
Advertisement

#148802 by TerranceBoyce Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm
The website whois is covered by a domain privacy registration and I would never deal with an online company that does that.

Also, if you Google the address you'll find that an awful lot of companies come up as being located at that same address and suite, suggesting that it's an accommodation address and not a factory or shop site. However if you look at the returns instructions you'll see that you're asked to use that same address.

We are headquartered in Issaquah, Washington USA

Another peculiarity is that prices are in Pounds Sterling, and not once in my life in international trade have I ever come across a US company price goods in Pounds Sterling.

We do not have phone support as we sell all over the world with the resulting huge mix of timezones.

If you can't visit the company or speak to them on the phone it doesn't inspire confidence.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle