Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#204208 by TerranceBoyce Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:12 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners mazzo69.

This is the work of an organised gang who deluge the internet with hundreds of fraudulent adverts daily.

I concentrate on Autotrader UK and I can be certain to pick up around 100 of their adverts daily which include those inserted on hacked dealer pages. I've also come across them on Gumtree and ebay and I can connect them up from mistakes they make. It can't be one person but they're working together with more people supplying 'money mule' accounts to dispose of the cash.

People don't understand the risks they're taking in using online ad sites and this gang knows how to play people along. The fake ebay sale is a common ploy and usually they set up a spoof ebay page to make it all appear real, but they have enough hacked ebay pages under their control they can use that option too.

This is one of their newer regular fraudulent adverts that is being posted daily.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/audi/a1/used-audi-a1-1-4-tfsi-sport-5dr-mayfair-fpa-201406034714559?logcode=p

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#208765 by Basiro Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:08 am
Yesterday a guy calling himself Stephen Morrison ([email protected]) tried to sell me a 2009 VW camper van Reg GF59 ZRZ for £5,800 with exactly the same story as already posted on this site (he's in the army, going abroad soon, etc.) but this time he said he is on an army base in Edinburgh and is going to New Zealand in 3 weeks. The text of his emails is almost identical to the ones posted here coming from David Bennett in the army on the Isle of Man and heading off to Mali soon. The camper van with that Reg does exist, but who knows where it is. The advert on Caravans for Sale says it is located in Kent.
#208784 by TerranceBoyce Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:35 am
Welcome to Scamwarners Basiro.

We are aware of the activities of this criminal. Can you confirm where you saw the advert posted ? That would be helpful.

I concentrate on fraudulent car adverts only on Autotrader UK though I have sometimes looked at the camper vans too. Usually I turn up around 100 every day and I know of other people who are picking 'fraudulent adverts' on other ad sites.

I can't say that I'm impressed by the action, or lack of action, over this widespread criminal activity. You're obviously annoyed and you can imagine how victims feel when they lose significant sums of money.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#243767 by joofhove Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 pm
Hi there I realise this is an old thread, but you mentioned and I have been looking at some of their Caravelles on line. You seem to suggest that Eurobrand are part of the scam, but could it just be that the scammer has lifted the details of one of their kosher vehicles from the internet and used it as his own? i have seen this done on Ebay (and reported it to the true owner) copying a van's details but with a 50% lower asking price. I need to establish whether Eurobrand is a proper dealership or not.
Any feedback appreciated!

T4 vw owner wrote:[email protected] is using this email and if you google the caravelle spec he has it advertised in many locations on line with different mobile numbers- same images used with many at different prices, even using what appears to be a car dealership brand called Eurobrand 01920 739409/07956 900900 saying based in Herts that's listed for genuine selling price £30,995 which is where it would be at price wise. ( same reg plate in all same images) Another mobile number listed is 07546 790221 and on ebay user ID is nibb4545 and has history of 370 deals!? with 100% positive feedback- that is also listed at a realistic selling price- auto trader not the case £7,300. How can the same van (reg) images be at different prices and different locations???? we're not daft....smells fishy

He replied to my enquiry with same 'letter' as others have got- funnily not replied to my reply asking for more info as he clearly only has 'stock' responses and wasn't keen on a AA check!

Steer clear total scammer and can't imagine why he's still is getting away with it when he's not even clever enough to change his name or this letter he sends everyone! thank god for google and a little research- simple advice is the best- IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THERES A REASON!
Never buy a vehicle without driving it.............
hope my little research helps others not get caught by this git
#243777 by TerranceBoyce Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 pm
I don't think anyone mentioned the name of any specific vehicle dealer joofhove, and it would be wrong to do so without very compelling evidence.

As you say, the fraudsters mostly copy photos of vehicles already advertised for sale on the internet and copy them on to vehicle ad sites at drastically reduced prices with the intention of stealing money from victims. More recently the fraudsters have been hacking dealer pages on ad sites and also the dealers' websites.

I concentrate mainly on Autotrader UK and cars for sale, but I am well aware that the scammers and fraudsters are active on all ad sites including eBay.

This problem affects major UK dealers as well as one man operations. Autotrader UK have improved their reaction to warnings I send them, and indeed their own fraud detection capabilities, but it's the dealers themselves who must protect their accounts as they will be the first to suffer if frauds are inserted in their name.

I cannot and will not give an opinion as regards the standing of any particular dealer and my advice would be, whether it is a nationwide dealership or private seller, that you personally view and inspect the vehicle before parting with any money.

#300532 by j0pdf Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 am
Camper van Scammer strikes again, now with a different email address but similar MO.
Phishing emails copy, if you ever get the same don't open any of the links or attached photos:

2nd email

On 11 July 2016 at 15:50, Bennett PAUL DAVID <[email protected]> wrote: Few days ago a person met my relative to buy it with cash but came up with fake notes. Luckily my relative noticed and called the police. Later he got threatening calls. I appreciate he is doing me a favor but has got kids and he is not willing to accept visits anymore. Considering the actual situation i have requested personal support on eBay. They asked for a series of verifications (copy of ID, proof of ownership, vehicle's documentation, etc...) and they have approved to use the Money Back Guarantee Program. eBay said i have to agree for a 7 days inspection period ( after the date you receive the motorhome). This means that you have 7 days to inspect for any damages and decide if you want to keep it or not! Because I will sign eBay's return policy, you will have the option to reject the deal. If this will be the case, I will have to take the motorhome back on my cost! P.S. And please give me your phone number as well for my relative from Uk to give you a call! You can read more about it following the link below: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/contex ... olicy.html Let me know if the above return policy is acceptable and i will set up a private listing on eBay with a Buy It Now option. You will find there information on how we can safely complete the transaction. Thank you !

1st email:

On 11 Jul 2016 14:10, "Bennett PAUL DAVID" <[email protected]> wrote: I am glad that you are interested, Full Service History. All documents in original folders. The vehicle is in perfect condition, no accidents, no damage, it needs nothing. HPI clear. My husband passed away 1 month ago so i decided to sell, he loved it very much but it's time to go, it has no use for me, hence the lower price of £1,600. I am currently located in Switzerland, spending time with my parents during this difficult time. I am actually considering to sell everything in the UK and move here. If you are serious to buy, i will have a relative to deliver it to your address. Thank you!
#301287 by raf89 Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 am
Yup, I got exactly the same as message 1. about wife losing husband living in switzerland now from [email protected] (butetown, cardiff) :shock: . Thanks for letting us know. :=) Advert listed on gumtree by Ailish. Saw they also had another advert for caravan (swift?) up under same account for sale - beware. As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! :|
#311265 by Geralds Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:30 am
Another one doing the rounds on Trovit South Africa. There are a lot of grammar errors, incomplete signature on the e-mail etc. The e-mail is written similarly to the Isle of Man one with the same errors. They also added a tourism video of South Africa as proof of their so called documentary.

Sent: Saturday, 05 November 2016 1:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: 4x4 Mobile Camper - National Luna Deep Freeze

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but we are in United Kingdom right now and we have been very busy and we cannot use it anymore. We shoot a documentary in South Africa for National Geographic and in two weeks the documentary will be ready. Here is a little part:

The rest will be on TV in two weeks. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the motorhome. The motorhome is registered in South Africa on Alicia's name. We are selling this motorhome at a very cheap price because we moved in UK with our work and we cannot use it anymore. The motorhome is like new, in perfect conditions, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs, always garaged. You can see from the pictures. If you decide to buy the motorhome we will bring it at your home anywhere in SA. We will wait for your email if you are interested and have the funds ready.

For more pictures or info to purchase the motorhome please give us a reply, call or Whatsapp with your email address. For this price we have a lot of buyers interested on it so a reply to this email will be fine.

Thank you & regards,
For National Geographic Channel
David and Alicia
Image and Video collection

[email protected]

(Home)
[email protected]

(

Work)
+447404035834 (Cell)
+447404035834 (WhatsApp)
natgeo1227 (Skype)
natgeo1227 (Instagram)
Nat Geo D.A. (Google+ Profile)
#322596 by lemongras Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:46 am
Geralds wrote:Another one doing the rounds on Trovit South Africa. There are a lot of grammar errors, incomplete signature on the e-mail etc. The e-mail is written similarly to the Isle of Man one with the same errors. They also added a tourism video of South Africa as proof of their so called documentary.

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but we are in United Kingdom right now and we have been very busy and we cannot use it anymore. We shoot a documentary in South Africa for National Geographic and in two weeks the documentary will be ready. Here is a little part:

The rest will be on TV in two weeks. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the motorhome. The motorhome is registered in South Africa on Alicia's name. We are selling this motorhome at a very cheap price because we moved in UK with our work and we cannot use it anymore. The motorhome is like new, in perfect conditions, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs, always garaged. You can see from the pictures. If you decide to buy the motorhome we will bring it at your home anywhere in SA. We will wait for your email if you are interested and have the funds ready.

For more pictures or info to purchase the motorhome please give us a reply, call or Whatsapp with your email address. For this price we have a lot of buyers interested on it so a reply to this email will be fine.

Thank you & regards,
David and Alicia

[email protected]

(Home)
[email protected]

(

Work)
+447404035834 (Cell)
+447404035834 (WhatsApp)
natgeo1227 (Skype)
natgeo1227 (Instagram)

What happened to them? I got the same Email from David and Alicia. What do I have to do? Please, I need help.
#322597 by AlanJones Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am
It's a scam. Just delete the email and don't respond to them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#338160 by Enigatic Sprite Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 pm
lemongras wrote:
Geralds wrote:Another one doing the rounds on Trovit South Africa. There are a lot of grammar errors, incomplete signature on the e-mail etc. The e-mail is written similarly to the Isle of Man one with the same errors. They also added a tourism video of South Africa as proof of their so called documentary.

Thank you & regards,
David and Alicia

[email protected]

(Home)
[email protected]

(

Work)
+447404035834 (Cell)
+447404035834 (WhatsApp)
natgeo1227 (Skype)
natgeo1227 (Instagram)

What happened to them? I got the same Email from David and Alicia. What do I have to do? Please, I need help.

The same operation is still going but with a Toyota Hilux this time. Advertised in Nairobi. If you Google search Nat Geo DA you will find a big warning page exposing the scam. I don't know how I missed it until it was too late. I found all the videos etc. and even photos of the stolen identity they were using, showing the guy and his family in South Africa. I work as a volunteer and I see opportunities like this car come up occasionally, where vehicles are practically given away to people like me who are doing community aid work. I thought I had done some good research but I walked right into the trap. However, things still weren't adding up for me and I was able to back out before more money was sent that was being asked for.
Yes, I know,.......how stupid of me. But my head was in the wrong place, I was tired and I really needed a car. Instead I got an empty wallet. I wish we could stop this from happening to anyone else. I usually am very good at warning people about scams. But this time I walked right into the great big spider web. A vulnerable moment. And these stories are everywhere on the web to be found if you are looking for them.
I now remember all the rules and have learned a very nasty lesson. I am now looking at what the positive twist is on this one. If I look hard enough, I will find it.
Stay safe everyone and keep yourselves well informed and up-to-date with the latest and worst scams.
#362737 by Irungu Maina Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:33 am
Hey guys, I almost got caught if it were not for you guys. The Daniel and Alicia scammers entered our local car sale portal (https://www.olx.co.ke/item/2009-mitsubi ... 1050165673) and advertised for a Mitsubishi RVR. When I requested for actual viewing, the all went silent. This is the WhatsApp message they sent after first probing about the car.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but we are in United Kingdom right now and we have been very busy with our work. We shoot a documentary in Kenya for National Geographic and in two weeks the documentary will be ready. Also we filmed in South Africa and Tanzania so here is a little part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jidcQXs7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZbW1OnI3Y

The rest will be on TV in two weeks. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the car. The car is registered in Kenya on Alicia's name. We are selling this car at a very cheap price because we moved in UK with our work and we cannot use it anymore, have a contract here and we will return in Kenya only after 2 years. The car is like new, in perfect conditions, accident free, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs, always garaged. You can see from the pictures. If you decide to buy the car we will bring it at your home anywhere in Kenya. We will wait for your email if you are interested and have the funds ready.

For more pictures or info to purchase the car please give us a reply, call or Whatsapp with your email address. For this price we have a lot of buyers interested on it so a reply here on Whatsapp will be fine.

Thank you & regards,
Daniel and Alicia
[email protected] (Home)
[email protected] (Work)
+447376594654 (Cell)
+447376594654 (WhatsApp)
natgeotravellers12 (Skype)
natgeotraveller (Instagram)
Nat Geo Travellers (Google+ Profile)
#379995 by denbar17 Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 am
This scam still running now, Jan 2019.
I think this was from an ad in for a Toyota 2006 Hilux placed in www.jumia.co.mz, Mozambique car sales.
See below.

===========================================

date: 15 Jan 2019, 12:10
subject: 2006 Toyota Hilux Raider

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response but we are in United Kingdom right now and we have been very busy with our work. We shoot a documentary in Mozambique for National Geographic and in two weeks the documentary will be ready. Also we filmed in South Africa and Tanzania so here is a little part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jidcQXs7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyZbW1OnI3Y

The rest will be on TV in two weeks. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the car. The car is registered in Mozambique on Alicia's name. We are selling this car at a very cheap price because we moved in UK with our work and we cannot use it anymore, have a contract here and we will return in Mozambique only after 2 years. The car is like new, in perfect conditions, accident free, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs, always garaged. You can see from the pictures. If you decide to buy the car we will bring it at your home anywhere in Mozambique. We will wait for your email if you are interested and have the funds ready.

For more pictures or info to purchase the car please give us a reply, call or Whatsapp with your email address. For this price we have a lot of buyers interested on it so a reply here on Whatsapp will be fine.

Thank you & regards,
David and Alicia
[email protected] (Home)
[email protected] (Work)
+447376594663 (Cell)
+447376594663 (WhatsApp)
natgeomagazine12 (Skype)
natgeotraveller (Instagram)
Nat Geo Travellers (Google+ Profile)