Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#179332 by rosey58 Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 pm
The ad for this guy is now live again on Autotrader...

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/make ... geNumber=2

It is on the first page, the green splitty. Advert states....

VOLKSWAGEN SPLIT SCREEN WESTFALIA CAMPER VAN Petrol £5,000 1965 Private, distance 45 miles
4 Berth
28,000 Miles
Private
Van Conversion
A totally original 1965 split screen camper imported from California in April 2010. Completely solid and a perfect canvas for the enthusiast who wishes to customise their own interior. Left hand drive, rock…
Advertisement

#179342 by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm
I enjoy a puzzle.

The original ad is here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Split-Screen-1965-Westfalia-Camper-Van-/151102661649?nma=true&si=vsTw1f1SNeEnQEg48HzO32k4vYQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Item location:
Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom
Price:£18,000.00
VW Split Screen 1965 Westfalia Camper Van
A totally original 1965 split screen camper imported from California in April 2010. Completely solid and a perfect canvas for the enthusiast who wishes to customise their own interior.

Same photos as below.

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/volkswagen/split-screen-westfalia-camper-van/1965-volkswagen-split-screen-westfalia-camper-van-petrol-norwich-mfpa-8ac196a041a057cf0141e124a4235c23/makemodel/make/volkswagen

£5,000
1965 VOLKSWAGEN SPLIT SCREEN WESTFALIA CAMPER VAN Petrol in Norwich
A totally original 1965 split screen camper imported from California in April 2010. Completely solid and a perfect canvas for the enthusiast who wishes to customise their own interior.

Inexplicable as regards the price and the location, and it's difficult to believe that anyone would buy such a vehicle without viewing it first.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#179414 by Boatless Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:01 pm
At the weekend I found a advert for a boat and emailed to get the following responses:

"Megan Potter" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email.
This boat its just perfect, Immaculate condition, no damages, once with the boat you will also get all the equipment my husband had, it also includes the trailer. All necessary documents available. I just moved back to Dundee after the death of my husband(I was left with it and a big mortgage due next week). Price £2800 delivered at my costs. I will list the boat on eBay Motors and I will send you a link to my auction, so you can buy it. The engine was serviced in march . I don`t really know what to do with it and since I need to pay my mortgage I need to sell it.
As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you.
You will receive the boat with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.
Please let me know your decision.
Thank you

Content of the second email:

As I said earlier with that fake buyer and those notes I`m not really prepared to allow anyone else came near to my house Here is how the process works through the Buyer Protection Program.
I'm going to list it as a private auction on ebay and then send you the link, you will need to click on buy it now and just follow the instructions sent to you by ebay. As soon as they will confirm that to me I am going to start the delivery through shiply.com as ebay has instructed me. Once you receive it you have two options. Option 1: You will tell ebay I received it and its in perfect order the transactions is a success and I get my money, or option two but I don`t think you will use this one, you will contact ebay and tell them you can`t keep it. They will refund you the money and thats it. end of the deal.
Everything is covered by eBay. I will get paid only after you confirm that you received it. I need your full name and a mobile number to forward them to ebay and so you will be registered in the buyer protection program. When ebay will get you registered in the buyer protection program please let me know so I can send you the link to my auction.
Let me know if this is acceptable. Thank you

Same scam as the vw campervan
#179464 by auden1979 Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:05 am
beware, megan potter scam now on farmingads.co.uk selling a tractor. just seen this website in the nick of time.

he/she is using the same story as the above campervan, buyer protection from ebay and about moving to dundee after her husband dying.

just glad i looked up this website.
#179468 by TerranceBoyce Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 am
Welcome to to Scamwarners auden1979.

Do you have a link to the advert or details of the tractor he's selling ?

It helps us to keep tabs on what he's doing in the hope that may be some time we can track him down, and it also enables us to warn about him more effectively.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#179495 by nibbler Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 pm
hello and thanks for a great site
we had the same with a
SWIFT SUNDANCE 590 RS LUXURY 5 BERTH, Fiat, DUCATO 15 JTD MW..£4,000
this was on Friday-Ad
sent this as i thought it was a bit too cheap ..this is a reply to a first email (which my wife sadly deleted)

Hi thanks for emailing me back could you tell me if this motor home has any tax or not as you said it has been stored. I would be interested but me and my husband would like to see if poss before purchase. Can I also ask how long ago the motor home was run. Sorry to ask all these questions but this the first time we have ever bought a motor home and want to get it right.

and the scammers reply

On 22 Oct 2013, at 16:36, "Megan Potter" <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, I was away to my mother in law and I just got to a pc and saw your email. This van has a full service history and all documentation is present and in my name. It has been stored in undercover storage from new so the exterior is perfect very low miles. The final price is not negotiable: £4000. My husband died 2 months ago and I was left with it but I don`t even have a drivers license. If you agree I can send you the link to my private auction on eBay so you can buy it from there since I all ready had a buyer last week who came up with some fake notes. I don`t really trust someone else to come around my house. Please note that you will be able to check directly on ebay the registration and all the information about it because they did a HPI check(it does not have any outstanding finance). As soon as you will confirm the payment to eBay, I will proceed with the delivery without any additional costs for you. You will receive the van with all the documents. As you know eBay is the best company of online transactions. If you are indeed interested in buying it and have the funds, I will list it on eBay, as I have a 100% positive feedback with them.

Please let me know your decision.

Thank you

the link is still active as of 24/10/2013
http://motoring.friday-ad.co.uk/manches ... -YI337GC54

we are not gullible people but it was tempting to just send the money
luckily we found this site and great people who will expose these scammers
#179565 by elizabethsutton Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am
Hi. I was scammed by the same person and i couldn't get my money back either. He was using the name Brian Crighton (sadly I never found his real name) and we paid him through Google Wallet but he got our money before i found this website. We were emailing him about the camper van and i tried to track him down through it and i found out were he might be, I searched from his IP address that is 157.55.1.169 and I found an address that the IP goes back to and it's in the United States, North America, Washington, Redmond, 98052. If anyone lives over there and finds it is him then please tell us all that he was found on here because we would want to hear if he has stopped taking hard working peoples money likes ours.
#179878 by John Barry Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:55 pm
HI Elizabeth

Sorry to hear you got caught by this guy. Can you supply some more details? He will have sent you a link to a fake Google Wallet website. That would be useful ( if it hasn't been killed already)

I'm afraid the IP you have is that of Microsoft. They have taken to, in Google style, obscuring the senders IP.

Can you also let us know which account you sent the money to? Once again it may be that we can, at the least, shut that account down and maybe save someone elses money
#179879 by TerranceBoyce Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:16 pm
I'm currently baiting this scammer and he's given me a bank account mentioned in this thread

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77490

It would be useful to know if you were given the same bank account to use or a different one. We aim to get the bank accounts shut down before they're used in scams if we can, but the effect we can have is small compared with the amount of scamming going on.

#180284 by simonjones923 Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:02 am
He is at it again now calling himself Robert Doughty!

Subject: Re: 2008 BESSACARR E785 5BERTH MOTORHOME 17,000 MILES.

Hi,

I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in an accident. Nobody smoked in and I never carried pets. Full history and V5 document are present, HPI is clear.
Yes the van got 5 seats with 5 seats belts.
My last price is £ 8500.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on November 25 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.

It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage 6 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving to Mali.

Right now I am located in a small military base in the Isle of Man because our squad do some special training here.
The vehicle is here with me inside of the base garage.

In case you are still interested to buy it please write me back since I can deliver the vehicle anywhere in UK on my cost.

Thank you for being interested in my vehicle.
Robert Doughty,
#180508 by Biologygill Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:56 pm
I received an email on Wednesday morning from Megan Potter exact same wording as those listed in response to an ad on Caravansforsale.co.uk for an Abbey Aventura 330 much too cheap. I was emailed by the website who said the ad was taken down and is a scam. Did my own bit of research and found the van sold on ebay at the beginning of October, details and photos had been lifted from there.
#180890 by Tuxedo Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm
This chap is still out there using pretty much the same message but now using the name ROBERT DOUGHTY. He sent me an email with pictures, copied below. I only found this site because I Googled 'Isle of Man military base', but want others to beware. I will not be replying to his email, but if he chases me up, I'll add it to this forum.

Sent: 12 November 2013 00:07:37
To:

Attachments: 12 attachments | Download all as zip (498.9 KB)
1.JPG (40.3 KB) , 2.JPG (45.6 KB) , 3.JPG (47.7 KB) , 4.JPG (43.9 KB) , 5.JPG (42.6 KB) , 6.JPG (40.5 KB) , 7.JPG (44.9 KB) , 8.JPG (43.6 KB) , 9.JPG (46.0 KB) , 10.JPG (30.8 KB) , 11.JPG (34.4 KB) , 12.JPG (38.6 KB)

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content|I trust [email protected]. Always show content.

Hi,

I can confirm that the vehicle is still for sale and that never been involved in an accident. Nobody smoked in and I never carried pets. Full history and V5 document are present, HPI is clear.
My last price is £ 2800.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on November 30 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.

It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage 6 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving to Mali.

Right now I am located in a small military base in the Isle of Man because our squad do some special training here.

In case you are still interested to buy it please write me back since I can deliver the vehicle anywhere in UK on my cost.

Robert Doughty,
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#180901 by Ruby1976 Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:44 pm
I believe the scammer is now using the alias name of R.Smith under Pistonheads. He is selling a 1965 Split Screen Westfalia Camper Van for £5,200.00. Tel. 07890735489 , Location: Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. When you reply via Pistonheads you then receive emails from a Robert Doughty requesting payment via Google Wallet and the van will be shipped to you. The Email address he is using is [email protected]

His exact reason for selling:
The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on November 29 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.

It would be a shame to keep the vehicle in the garage for 6 months without being used and I also need some cash before leaving to Mali.

Be carefully
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
#180985 by simsy33 Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:35 am
Hello New to here,
I'm glad i found this site whilst researching the 'Military Base' in Isle of Man.I have also recieved an email concerning a T5 now advertised on Pistonheads for sale.Many Thanks for the warning!
Hi,

My last price is £ 3650.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on December 05 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.

Robert Doughty,
#180993 by podrush Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am
Folks,
This cockbag is still active on pistonheads.
Assuming that if something is too good to be true it cant be, I googled his address and thankfully found this thread.

the mails I got were from yesterday:
I saw an add on pistonheads and mailed him: I got back the following:

Hi,

My last price is £ 3800.

The only reason for selling this vehicle so cheap is because I am involved in a military project and move to Mali on November 30 and come back after 6 months. It is the first time I will go to Mali so I'm a little nervous but excited.

Robert Doughty,

Hi Removed (BW),
As I've said in my previous email I am currently located in the Isle of Man in the military base do daily trainings for 2 weeks to get ready to be deployed on mission in Mali . I'm doing a special training program each day and I am not allowed to get out of the unit or give calls whenever I want. The delivery will take 2 to 3 days depending on your location and it's not a problem because I can do it at no cost for you. Because it is a large transaction, we will complete the deal only using an authorized third part like Google Wallet because I already prearranged the whole process with them, using their Google Safe Pay Solutions (bank-to-bank wire transfer) for vehicles.

The money will be sent to Google Wallet, before you will receive the vehicle. So, you will deposit the payment directly into the Google Wallet agent's bank account in United Kingdom, either online or at most banks and they will hold and secure your money during the entire transaction. I repeat, they will hold and insure your money until receipt of the vehicle in good condition and will release the funds to us only after you decide to keep the vehicle and you register it, into your name. You will have an inspection period of 10 days. In this time you can check, test and inspect the vehicle. If by any reason (the vehicle has any hidden damages or is not like I describe it) you can reject the deal. In this case Google Wallet will refund you totally and they will deliver the vehicle back.
You can read more about Google Wallet here:
http://wallet.google.escorw.obeton.ru/u ... #how-works

Let me know your shipping details (your full name, full address and home phone number) so I can open a transaction case with Google Wallet and declare you as buyer. They will contact you with further information regarding payment and delivery.

Regards,
Robert,

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 2004 Volkswagen T5 Transporter Camper Van 134,000 Miles.
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:06:43 +0000

HI Robert, thanks for your mail YES I will buy the vehicle if I can have a look before I hand over the cash!
I appreciate that if you are on the base etc I don't have access, but I am happy to meet you on the IOM.
I can be there this coming sunday 17th or as soon as is convenient
my number is 077875xxxxx if you want to text or call me - I will ping you from the site too...
thanks and kind regards
xxxxxx

On Nov 13, 2013, at 12:54 AM, Robert Doughty <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

My last price is £ 3800.

Robert Doughty,

==================================================

anyway I mailed him back to say if we could not meet then no deal

watch out for this little piece of excrement