Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#168487 by nobunaga Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm
Today I received the following E-mail:-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for purchasing tickets on Ticketmaster.

Your order number for this purchase is 93-86690/AUS.Complete order
detail is attached to this e-mail.

You will receive your tickets via: International Express-Ticketmaster will
mail these within 2 business days of the booking. Tickets usually arrive
within 10 working days of posting.

Total Charge: AU $108.50

Thank you for adding Event Ticket Insurance to your order. You will
be billed AU $13.00 (AU $6.50 per ticket) separately.

Please note: for any ticket-related issues, please continue to
contact Ticketmaster Customer Service.

Thanks again for using Ticketmaster.

Return to Ticketmaster home.
You can always check your order and manage your preferences in My
Ticketmaster.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Needless to say I have not bought any tickets from ticketmaster ,also I am
based in the UK not Au so the scam warning bell began to ring..
Further study of the mail was interesting-the link to Ticketmaster Customer Service looked legit pointing to http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/h/customer_serve.html
however the links pointing to " Ticketmaster home" and "My
Ticketmaster " were pointing to http://ntr.ticketmaster.com:80/
This looks like a scam site,so beware..It is also listed as such in mailscanner (http://www.mailscanner.info/)

Cheers,
Ian
Advertisement

#168530 by helenph Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 am
I'm happy to have found your post as I've just received the same email as you. I'm in Australia so I guess it looked more authentic from here!
#168674 by mikevp Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:43 pm
I've seen three of these -- nothing would look suspicious if I didn't know I hadn't ordered anything from Ticketmaster recently -- EXCEPT! --- Check that first Received: header. Two of mine came from an IP address somewhere in Saudi Arabia, and the other from a wind energy company in Australia.

I can't see the point, though... no virusy attachment, no link to malware, no javascript doing nasty things ... it's just bare-bones HTML with no bad stuff.

I wonder if it's an attempt to DDOS Ticketmaster's Customer Support lines, by getting a bunch of irate recipients of the emails to all call them at once to complain.

(note - ntr.ticketmaster.com is in Ticketmaster's network, and ticketmaster.com.au is also Ticketmaster, according to Whois -- and it also has a Verisign SSL certificate saying it's Ticketmaster. ntr.ticketmaster.com doesn't currently have any web page there; it gets a 404. But google results seem to show it has been used by Ticketmaster in the past.)
#168738 by jolly_roger Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 am
Was listening to the local radio this morning. And this Ticketmaster scam was being discussed on talk-back radio. It's received wide coverage and Consumer Protection are fully aware of this one.