Fake banks, couriers, law firms, escrow and other fake sites used in scams.
#181501 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 am
I'm not an expert in this area and I'd like someone with more knowledge to look at this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-8014-MINI-DIGGER-EXCAVATOR-2005-PLANT-TRAILER-/331069032272?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET&hash=item4d15408750

These photos have been used before and appear on eBay Scam Hunter's blog

http://ebayscamhunter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/jcb-8014-mini-digger-excavator-2005.html

but what troubles me is the 'Buy it Now' button which leads here

http://158.58.173.181/~sujkvgnt/acces/ttp/ssh/buy/buyit.html

Is this a bona fide ebay page ? If not how is someone able to put in a link like that.

Worryingly the other 'Make an Offer" link doesn't work.

The point being that, to my knowledge', the payment guarantee doesn't apply to vehicles.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#181503 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:41 am
Curious

Region: Trentino-Alto Adige

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#181504 by AlanJones Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:45 am
Definitely looks fake.

The "Buy it now" button is not actually a button, but an image (incorporating the text all arond it. The page it goes to is definitely not a legitimate eBay page (it actually redirects via http://oddandmisunderstood.com/wp-conte ... dexxx.html) and like you, I don't believe that the guarantee applies to vehicles.

Looks to me like a stolen ebay ID based on the previous items that they have been selling (sugarcraft moulds).

I've reported all 3 of the items (all diggers) that they have for sale, but unfortunately the eBay reporting mechanism is a bit basic and doesn't allow you to give reasons, just select from drop downs.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#181505 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am
Many thanks for that AJ. This isn't my area of expertise and I can get easily excited too quickly, but this looks as if it could be a nasty new scammer development if they're posting fake links to fake ebay pages on ebay adverts.

#181507 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am
I wonder then if this then might lead on to them phishing ebay account details.

#181508 by AlanJones Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 am
The fake site about the eBay guarantee doesn't appear to be phishing (I haven't checked all the links, but those that I did check lead back to the real eBay site) - all they seem to be concerned with is getting the details required for getting the money.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#181511 by TerranceBoyce Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:02 am
I couldn't find any either. I was just speculating, as the number of ebay accounts that appear to be getting hacked at the moment suggests that scammers have some means of doing it regularly.

Most ebayers who use a link from an ebay page and get what appears to be another ebay page will fall for it, and even I was uncertain. I won't even speculate as to what could be possible.

#181534 by AlanJones Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 pm
Looks like eBay have acted quickly - the item in your link no longer appears and the fake eBay Guarantee page is gone as well.