You can't win a lottery you haven't entered! Please read here for information on lottery scams.
#35690 by Jillian Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:23 pm
Beware of any caller telling you that you have won a prize and asking you to pay a fee to receive your supposed winnings.

The information on this particular scammer was shared by someone who received a suspicious phone call and contacted us to inquire if it was a scam.

A scammer called from the phone number: 876 470 4481 , claiming to be a Fed Ex employee named Mr. Goodman. The scammer said he was trying to deliver a cashier's check for $ 450 000 and a widescreen TV that the person had won. The scammer wanted the person to pay $295 in fees through Western Union.

The phone number traces to Jamaica. Included below is an article from December of 2009 warning people about this type of scam, which appears to be targeting senior citizens in several countries. An internet search for "Jamaican Lottery scam" yields many other articles.

"OFT and SOCA warn of new Jamaican lottery scam"

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/ ... 009/142-09

The OFT and the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) are warning the public to be on their guard against a new Jamaican-based lottery scam which has already seen some UK residents lose thousands of pounds each.

Fraudulent telemarketers based in Jamaica are making unsolicited phone calls to consumers telling them they have won a sum of up to £2.5 million, in a lottery or sweepstake. The fraudsters often pretend to be lawyers, bank officials, customs officers or lottery representatives to try and convince consumers that their prize is genuine. However, to 'release' their winnings, victims are told they must send money to pay for taxes, processing fees, insurance or customs duties. Victims receive repeated calls for further money, and in some cases have suffered threats of violence, arrest and removal to Jamaica if they do not pay up.

The fraudsters have pressurised some elderly victims into sending off their entire life savings. The victim's money ends up in the hands of organised gangs and helps to fund other serious crime in Jamaica.

The fraudsters have also targeted consumers in other countries such as the United States where victims are estimated to have lost $30 million. In response, SOCA and the OFT are working with international law enforcement partners to tackle this and other types of mass marketed fraud.

Heather Clayton, OFT Senior Director, said:

'We know that Jamaican-based lottery fraudsters have actively targeted US consumers in the past but we are now beginning to see this emerge as a problem in the UK. What is despicable is that some victims have been threatened with violence to coerce them into handing over their life savings. A genuine lottery would never ask someone to pay taxes, insurance or any other fee before receiving their 'winnings'.'

Paul Evans, Director of Intervention at SOCA, said:

'There is no doubt that there are links between mass marketing fraud and other serious organised criminality, including drugs importation and threats of violence. Falling victim to mass marketing frauds is not something people bring on themselves. They are deliberately and ruthlessly targeted by organised criminal groups. The potential harm inflicted is not just financial, but physical and psychological. Law enforcement, advice groups, and the public all have a part to play in preventing these crimes.'

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
Advertisement

#241823 by Mike Wilson Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:24 pm
The current number being used is 1-876-858-1820.

They claim to be Jamaica, New York while they are actually located in Jamaica W.I.

You have won $2.5 Million and a 2015 Mercedes but you have to pay a fee before you can claim the prize.
This gang will also make follow up calls claiming to be Homeland Security or the FBI giving various reasons why the fee must be paid.

The want the fee sent via USPS overnite to their US money mule.
On one call they wanted the money sent via Western Union to Westmoreland, Jamaica, W.I.

These scammers are currently targeting the elderly in the US.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#241894 by Mike Wilson Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:17 pm
1-876-370-9174
Once again the caller claimed to be in Jamaica, NY while the calls actually originated from a mobile telephone number assigned to Jamaica, W.I.

American Powerball Lottery
Caller claimed to be Peter Mars and of course I had to pay a fee to collect my winnings.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#244853 by Rodgeallen Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:09 pm
My mother has been getting these calls for years now and thank goodness she asked my opinion. Some quick research gave me enough info to tell her it was a scam right away. I have been fielding these calls ever since because the idiots dont like talking to me as I tell them things they dont like to hear such as how they are just liars and thieves and they ought to get out and get a real job. also ask them how they might feel if I were to call their mother and try to steal money from her, LOL they now mostly hang up immediately when I answer the phone. A loud whistle in the ears also works to stop callbacks for awhile. I have been researching methods to put a stop to these annoying calls but nothing seems to work, not even call block as they just change numbers and continue. I guess knowledge is the best defense so I applaud your efforts. keep up the good work!!