Information on romance scams and scammers.
#186498 by sassykati Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:27 pm
Hi my name is Xxxxx I started talking to a guy who goes by the name Nate Thomas he says he is in the us army. But after talking for a couple days he asked me to send money for a secure phone line? I have not done it because I thought it was a red flag. His email name that he uses is [email protected] he says he currently deployed in west africa. He also had a Facebook under the name Nate Thomas I have looked it up and only one has shown up there are also pics on there and they both look like the same person.

I hope someone can help me out
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Removed personal information.
Advertisement

#186504 by TerranceBoyce Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners sassykati.

There are no US forces deployed in West Africa and there's no reason that he would require a secure phone line. The military use secure communications to contact other parts of the military but there's no reason for soldiers to have it to speak to friends and family. They aren't allowed to discuss operational matters but, since there aren't any US soldiers in West Africa, but there are plenty of scammers, it goes without saying that's what you are in contact with - a scammer.

The US army makes sure any forces deployed abroad have contact with their loved ones either through free phone lines or low cost lines. It's the first thing any soldier going abroad will take care of.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
#186507 by Dotti Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 pm
Even if there were a million forces stationed in West Africa, it wouldn't change the fact that he is a scammer.

Civilians (even spouses) do NOT make requests on behalf of soldiers. And as far as the US military is concerned, an internet romance is nothing more than a pen pal. You have no standing and would have no contact with any part of the US military, period.

If a soldier were really on a mission so secret that he could only communicate via secure phone lines, then you would never meet him, because he certainly would NOT be allowed to be picking up and/or chatting and emailing with strangers from social networking or dating sites!

The "secure phone line" request and the "leave request" filled out by the civilian/fiancee exist only in the world of African scammers. The moment someone you are talking to suggests one of these, you can be certain he is an African scammer, not an American (or British) soldier.

Edit to add: soldiers do in fact get paid. They can access their money. There is NO reason you would ever need to pay anything to be in contact with a soldier, and no reason you would ever need to send money to him or anyone else on his behalf.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#206982 by HappyinAK Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:15 am
Yes this person is a liar and a scammer. I found the original the real live Nate and he is an honorable young man who someone Stowelde his pictures he happens to work for the federal government and hasn't been in the military for years so Internet crime reports have been filed on him he also a couple years ago scammed the woman who he tells you to send the money to out of thousands of dollars and attempted to obtain another $15,000 but transaction was stopped due to the FBI so we're just waiting for the click click of the handcuffs! People are such idiots, go get a job! "Losers". :D
#206983 by HappyinAK Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:18 am
By the way the more reports filed the better so even though you didn't send the money or if you did you can go to www.ic3.gov and fill out an Internet crime complaint
#239657 by brenda Doane Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:26 am
i was talking to sgt.nate and i even got his cell and pic but come to find out bc i send him money that he was a fake he was so sweet and the email was so real but i know now i have never had anyone do me this wsy and i never well again is there s way to get my money bsck if so plx help me god know i was being played a fool but not anymore plx help me
#239658 by Bryon Williams Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:34 am
^^^^ Mostly likely no, you will not get your money back.

I am sorry you are a victim of this scammer.

How long ago did you send it?

Where and to whom?

How did you send the money?

What was all the scammmers email addresses used and cell number?

Please post a couple of his initial emails to you and the money request email.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#239662 by Bryon Williams Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:26 am
How long ago did you send it?

Where and to whom?

How did you send the money?

What was all the scammmers email addresses used and cell number?

Please post a couple of his initial emails to you and the money request email.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/