Information on romance scams and scammers.
#253070 by BeMusing Wed May 27, 2015 3:05 pm
I think I just had a guy try to scam me...

He had a nice profile, no red flags, lived reasonably close (Olympia)

On the first email encounter, he "admitted" to being in the hospital at Harborview (for several months) after getting hit by a car on his motorcycle.

He shared some nature photographs with me via a photo sharing website. (I checked it out very carefully before looking at the nature photographs) The only scam on that website is that they have regular contests and it costs the members to enter the contests and to claim prizes. No photos of his "junk"

Through the user ID, I was able to track down a Facebook page for the same individual and he seemed legit. (although no mention of an accident or him moving to Washington from Texas on his page or his kid's pages)

Several things just don't add up and seem a bit "off" in his communications.

He wanted to know if I had a dropbox account. I've NEVER had a potential date ask that and it set off all sorts of scam alarms in my mind.

He could be impersonating the guy whose FB page I found.

So we have....

Plea for sympathy...

Guy is where he can't be seen/met...

Mention of how expensive the hospital stay is (Oh, but he's going to be winning a huge lawsuit-perfect setup for give me money and I'll pay you back when I win big)

No legal action where he is a litigant on the Washington State Court Records search.

No mention of a local accident with multisystem trauma in any WA state news outlet, nor does the guy's name come up as al local person in any online search.

and dopbox? Who in the hell asks a potential date if they have dropbox? I don't need or want bigass files that could potentially infect my computer from some random guy.

Medical stuff/timeline he's giving me about doesn't add up.

Work computer stuff he's telling me doesn't add up.

I don't know if he might actually be in the hospital and be head injured, but it's quite possible that English is not his first language.

But the dropbox thing... He's mentioned it twice.

It would be fun to try to trap him into scamming me so I could report him, but I don't have time for that.

Has anyone else here ever had someone push them to get a dropbox account in the first email?
Advertisement