Information on romance scams and scammers.
#304158 by Marchgirl Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:49 am
I can't seem to find info on this scenario anywhere, so here is what I know: A friend of mine met a woman through some dating service (sorry, I don't know the details) and soon she was asking him for money. He gave her his credit card information and proceeded to wire transfer money, but the weird part is, he says every time he sends money, the woman pays it back to his credit card. She claims to be in Egypt on business (surprised it wasn't Nigeria) and the excuses sound like typical scam requests like having to pay taxes on goods she wants to bring to the US, her kid is sick in the hospital over there, she can't get back to the US until she pays blah blah blah, etc. He swears he is not losing any money, but this smells fishy to me. I asked point blank, if she has the money to pay him back, why didn't she just use her own money to pay these whatever things she needed it for. He mumbles something about banks over there not dealing in US currency or credit cards. Ohhhkay. He still argues that everything has been paid back. Is this person just hooking him for an actual theft at some point in the future, or is this money laundering, or what? I hope someone knows about this. Thanks!
Advertisement

#304163 by Tim Atem Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm
Your friend is either lying to you about the scammer paying him back -OR- the scammer is either flashing his card to make it look like money has been credited or using stolen funds from other victims to put on his card to have him forward it on.

Your friend needs to contact his credit card company's fraud department if he has indeed received any money from them. He needs to do this asap before the authorities come looking for him.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#304172 by Marchgirl Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:13 pm
I knew this scenario couldn't be right. He is very hooked and resistant to believe it's a scam but I'll keep trying. Thanks for the feedback!