Information on romance scams and scammers.
#317560 by southernboy496 Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:46 pm
I've deleted all of my social media. Good thing I guess is I gave her a fake name from the start.

Couldn't you just lie about your age on POF. The other thing that was suspicious was I asked her about her age while on POF and she ignored it and then went to texting.
Advertisement

#317561 by Terminator5 Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm
southernboy496 wrote:I feel a little better. I just found one of her pics on zoosk profile from Arlington Texas.

Use your snipping tool and take a photo of that profile . Can you also private message me a link to that profile , it could be another fake profile .

Daniel 8 :25
#317566 by Terminator5 Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:40 pm
Couldn't you just lie about your age on POF

For technical questions of that nature I refer you to POF Website, IC3 or your state / local police . We're not POF Security Experts or Law Enforcement . We're just people .

All I can say is its a scam .

You came here because something that was not right happened to you on the internet . You found the Red Flags here . You have been given an OPINION , and now its up to you to act . This is not a Chat or Debate Site .

Act on it :

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

#317571 by southernboy496 Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm
Thanks. It's helped talking through it. One other thing I was concerned about is it seems that most everyone else dealt with a SC area code. But mine was a FL area code where I live. Do you think they could have used a spoof number from my area?
#317691 by Cduf240 Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:15 pm
Ive had an account on okcupid for awhile.. and last night this girl "rose" messeged me. I checked her account out. Only had 1 photo, said she was 18. So I thought no biggie.. she asked to text, so as an idiot, I agreed. We started texting, she asked for photos and I sent her a shirtless selfie.. nothing gross, she sent me 3 photos of her, nothing nasty... she then goes on to ask if we could hangout tomorrow, go get a room. I say, I can't pay, but if she's willing to?.. she agrees. I said okay whatever. She said she wants to have sex and leave it from there. As an idiot, I agree.. she then says she's going to sleep. So I tell her goodnight. Next morning, I work out, I look at my phone and see I have 2 missed calls and 3 text.. saying this is the father, saying Im in huge trouble and I was talking to a minor and stuff. . Saying he has a cop and stuff. . So I reply saying sorry, she lied to me, I'm so sorry, everything! He says I need to call him. We talk for 30mins. He's Pissed, screaming, I'm crying,freaking out. He says I'm being arrested, saying his daughter is getting kicked out.. he said hes flying from missouri, to my area.. maryland.. and he said he'll call me back after he talks to his wife... 30mins later, he calls back and says, they argued for awhile, but agreed and said if I pay for Roses undercover plan thingy. .. then I'll be safe.. and so of course I agree.. he tells me to go to a cvs, and then call him... so I hang up, run down stairs, tell my dad everything.. he says I'm stupid, looks up these scams and show me... so I'm tellin you guys my story.. I'm still scared.. I deleted my account, saved all the photos.. my dad called the "fathers" number.. says he know hes fake.. and won't go with the demands... which scared. But anyways... so I'm sitting here... still scared of what to do.
#317692 by Terminator5 Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:20 pm
Its a scam . Please report this Extortion attempt on the IC3 Website.

#317786 by southernboy496 Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm
Whatthehell wrote:Question: Can you file a police report even though they never asked for money? I was just told by the "detective" that I needed to call the father which I refused.

Just curious what happened with this one. My situation is very similar. Never asked for money but haven't heard from them in a five days.
#317790 by Terminator5 Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm
sloopy30 wrote:http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=137129374

Here is the POF page..now says she is 27..before I deleted my profile she was 26...

Beware.

Thanks . One Profile Image shows up on this Nigerian Page where it was no doubt stolen by the scammer .

http://heartmindersng.com/2016/01/warni ... crossed-a/

This should remove all doubt about this being a scam . Now report it .

#317926 by fireguy22 Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm
So i have fallen victim to this as well now. Luckily i did not send any money. It started back around christmas and i met a girl named Betty on POF. we talked on POF for a couple days and then she said she wanted to text because she didnt get on very much. so i sent her a text message and we talked a couple days. she admitted after she had sent a couple of normal pictures that she was 17 not 18 like it said on POF. after learning she was 17 i told her that i would not send any pictures and that i didnt want any nude pictures. she ended up sending me a nude picture anyways and i never sent any nude pictures of myself.

couple days later i start getting text messages and phone calls from her "dad" saying that he wants to get my side of the story and that he is going to press charges unless i pay for the phone deactivation. Im a college kid and dont have money for a whole lot so i told him i couldnt pay to help anything. i continued to get texts from the number threatening to press charges unless we worked something out. i stopped talking and the conversation fell silent for nearly a month until i get a call from someone claiming to be a sergeant with the police department notifying me that someone named Mr. Hopkins has filed a complaint and that it was the law they were to notify me of the complaint and that he thinks i need to talk to the complaint filer to work something out. after speaking to the officer the dad ends up calling me and i spoke to him. he said he had to pay $900 for a cell phone deactivation and then $420 or something dollars to take care of a school fine. he wants me to pay for half of it and then he will send me a letter saying we split the cost and he will leave me alone. The part that really confused me was that we wanted me to pay using a Green Dot money pack card or something like that. after the call i decided something didnt sound right so i did what i thought was a good idea and called a criminal defense lawyer locally. I barely made it 2 sentences in before he informed me of this scam and told me to block the numbers discontinue contact and do not pay a penny. i wish i had known this was a ongoing scam before i ever worried and lost sleep over this.

The POF profile was Betty_______ i just remember it had "her" name in it
Betty phone number-(801) 899-6947
Mr. Hopkins. the "dad" -(704) 219-4576
The sergeant ______ cant remember his name (801) 675-4238

i dont remember ever hearing the wifes name even though it was her that wanted to press charges and the "dad" wanted to work it out another way. if anyone knows more about this or has anything else to tell me id like to know more.
#317927 by Bryon Williams Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:12 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

It is a scam. Read page one first post for advice.

Report it to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

A real Police Officer would not contact you telling you to contact the father to pay a bribe.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#317947 by Terminator5 Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:36 am
Don't pay them anything . Block their number and file a report on the IC3 Website .

#318079 by Bryon Williams Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 pm
^^^^Pre-paid cell, VoIP, spoofing, and throw away phones.

It was a scam.

Let it go.

Live your life. Do not let it stress you for the rest of your life.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/