Information on romance scams and scammers.
#328987 by King_C56 Thu May 25, 2017 2:48 am
A few weeks ago I got a reply to my craigslist personals ad in the m4w relationships section from a girl who looked absolutely beautiful like had the looks of a super model. One of the first things she told me about was that she was on her way to Nigeria to pick up a check of 10 million dollars because her dad passed away and he owned a successful auto trading business and she inherited the money or something to that effect. A few days passed then she said she had to pay a 3000$ fee to the court where she got her check then after telling her there's no way I could get that amount of money she said her mom sold her truck so then all I would have to do is send 200$. Very stupidly I did that through western union then she supposedly got in a car crash because of the cab driver that was taking her to the airport. So then I get an email from a doctor David James explaining what happened and that they need 500$ for the treatment bill. I told him I really don't think I can get that much money anytime soon so then he said and I quote "if you really love her and don't want her to die, let us know and we will start the treatment". So I asked him if sending a 100$ payment could at least get her out of the hospital after treatment so we could pay the rest when she got back home to the states to which he said if you can send it before the boss shows up then that should be okay. I asked him for credentials as in a picture of his name tag and I got a picture that looked like it was made in Microsoft paint but I guess I wanted all this to be real at this point so again very stupidly I sent a 100$ payment a few days later but then the next day he emailed me saying the boss showed up and won't let her leave until they get another 400$ from me so she has been in a resting room ever since. Other details about this are: about 4 or 5 days after we began talking she had already decided that we are gonna spend our lives together, she loves me, wants to have kids, get married blah, blah, blah. She always addresses me as honey, love, baby, etc. And at one point I got an email from her mom referring to me as her son in-law. She also gets really poetic in the ways she tells me how much she loves me and she also says things in broken English sometimes. Like when she asked me how much money I have right now she said "how you got now love?". So yeah that's the jist of it. I feel so dumb that it took me this long to know for sure it's a scam. I had my doubts of her legitimacy but when I called her out on it she got really offended and defensive and tried to guilt me. Thoughts on this?
Advertisement

#328992 by AlanJones Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 am
It's a scam.

Please post all the email addresses, telephone numbers etc that the scammer is using, the other victims that he (it is almost certainly a young African man using stolen photos) is currently in contact with may be searching for them.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#329095 by King_C56 Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 am
Here's an update. She never had a Facebook account before but now a day has passed since I told her I won't send her any more money and now suddenly she has a Facebook and tried to friend me. Scammers are pretty persistent, I guess they don't give up easily am I right?
#329173 by Tim Atem Sat May 27, 2017 7:48 am
Once they are able to get a victim to send the money, they try their best to keep the scam going. Just block and ignore her and eventually they'll move on to their next victim. They may also be trying to gain access to your friends list so you may want to let your friends know not to accept friends requests from people they don't know.

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
#329275 by Jasilia Sun May 28, 2017 6:07 pm
So sorry to hear that you got scammed....like so many of us :-/

I know it is really difficult, to let it go. It takes i while. But the best thing is, like they advice you to here, is to cut all contact......it took a while for me too ;-)
As you say, you really hope it to be true, even though you have seen all the red flags.
Learn from it, keep your chin up and keep going. And be careful in the future.
#329345 by malu53 Mon May 29, 2017 4:19 pm
email address leads to a profile on FB
uid: 100013570741361
Brooks Frank
profile from September 14, 2016 ·

scamhatersutd.blogspot

The real man in the picture is George Cosma.. A Romanian who is constantly abused in romance scamming. George is a happily married family man.. never been near the United States or it's military.
#329346 by malu53 Mon May 29, 2017 4:27 pm
email address leads o a profile on FB
uid: doc.james.9275
Doc James
profile from May 22

#329347 by malu53 Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm
phone number: 956-271-0969

Provider: Level3 Communications <<< scammers' favorites
#329350 by King_C56 Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm glad I escaped when I did. It's been 2 days since I've gotten any email or text from them so I think they gave up on me.
#329952 by King_C56 Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:18 pm
I thought they had given up by now but I keep getting texts from the scammer once in awhile. I haven't replied to any of them, just deleting them. I put them on my call reject list but I'm not sure if that will block their texts.