Information on romance scams and scammers.
#334876 by mariaevinne Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm
Hi everyone. It's taken me a few weeks to get the courage to post but I've been reading a lot of the unfortunate stories here & I first want to say I'm so sorry everyone here has been scammed in one way or the other. I'm happy to see such good support though. My story is long & I don't want to get into it right now, but I'm fairly certain I'm being scammed by someone claiming to be in South Sudan as part of the US Army. I've had 2 friends run him through a couple of military databases & cannot find him. When I told him this he claimed it is because he is special ops which my 2 friends said at the particular level I told them about is highly likely, however this person has asked me to send but iTunes cards in the amount of $200 a month & send the pictures of each card to him so that he can have data for his phone so that we can continue to communicate. When I ask why he needs iTunes he gives me an excuse of the data/cell service in South Sudan isn't like it is here & they have to barter with iTunes. Plus, his cell # is a Google subscriber number. I've asked him several times for his real number & of course he doesn't give it to me. I've asked him to take a current pic, not one he's sent me from his phone that I have no idea when they were taken & he says his camera isn't good. I was spending the money but haven't in the last month. He texts me from 2 other numbers stating they are numbers of his "junior colleagues" which isn't standard language for US Army personnel. Of course we met on a dating website. I got off the site immediately. We exchanged numbers immediately, which I had no idea was a bad thing to do. I got divorced in December & a friend has good success with dating sites & I thought it couldn't hurt anything to try it. Of course, both parents died in a car accident when he was 12, hw ex-wife died 5 years ago from cancer & his 2 daughters married men in Mexico & don't talk to him. He supposedly has dated only 1 or 2 women in the last 10 years since his divorce. I've started to not believe anything he says. There's SO much more to his elaborate stories I could write a novel.

Why do they ask for iTunes cards? And seriously, I'm a smart woman. I'm work in the legal field. I can see through people's BS all the time, but with this guy, he really snowed me over. I've begun to ignore his texts. He never calls...of course....because doing so would possibly "expose his location to the terrorist enemy". I always respond with "LMAO, yeah, okay!"

I feel so stupid for falling for this crap & spending money I really don't have. I'm a single mom trying to go back to school & provide for my son.
Advertisement

#334878 by Bryon Williams Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Please post all his information such as email address, name, phone numbers and a couple of his initial emails to you. This will help other women avoid the scam.

Itune cards can help a scammer register to dating sites, allow him to change his Ip, sell to his other scamming friends and etc.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#334879 by Mike Wilson Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 pm
Welcome to scamwarners.
There is no doubt, you were in contact with a West African romance and not a US soldier.Do not be to hard on yourself as these scumbags are professional liars and this is how they make money.

They want the iTunes cards to pay or the apps they run on their smart phones. They also know this type of payment poses very little risk to them.

Please post his email address and the email where he describes himself. This information will help others to find you post and discover they are in contact with a scammer.

If you have any additional questions please ask.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#337230 by mariaevinne Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 pm
We never communicated by email, only by text. We met on Plenty of Fish (pof.com)
Claims he's in the military, deployed in South Sudan Africa, but currently working his mission in Chad, Africa. He claims he lives in Morris, Connecticut. His specialty in the military is not based out of Connecticut or anywhere close. Claimed he loved me within 3 weeks & asked me to move in with him when he returns home. Birthdate is allegedly: 04/29/1970.

He will ask for iTunes cards to be sent via text so that he can use for data on his cell phone. His cell # is a Google #. Clams his parents died in a car accident when he was 12, his ex-wife died 5 years ago, his 2 adult daughters live in Mexico & have abandoned him & that he hasn't had a relationship with his sisters since their parents died.

He asked me to sign up on another paid dating website with my credit card info ( which I did not do) in case the "terrorists infiltrated his location" & he couldn't communicate by text. I told him no & that if he could access the internet on his phone, he could text.

I sent him over $2,000.00 in iTunes cards. Don't fall for his BS!

I can't figure out how to upload his pictures on here. Removed contact information.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed information asking for Pm's.
#337234 by mariaevinne Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 pm
Thank you Bryon. I searched his number but didn't find that it's registered in Nanuet, NY. How were you able to find that? He admitted it's a Google number for "privacy reasons" & refused to give me his actual number.
#337235 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 pm
The number is VoIp ( Voice over internet protocol ) He is not in NY. This phone number can call/answer/text any where in the world with internet access.

Your scammer is most likely in West Africa. The newest preferred payment request by these West Africans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP
Voice over Internet Protocol (also voice over IP, VoIP or IP telephony) is a methodology and group of technologies for the delivery of voice communications and multimedia sessions over Internet Protocol (IP) networks, such as the Internet. The terms Internet telephony, broadband telephony, and broadband phone service specifically refer to the provisioning of communications services (voice, fax, SMS, voice-messaging) over the public Internet, rather than via the public switched telephone network (PSTN).

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#337236 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 pm
What is a link to the site.

If he asked you to sign up to a paid site it is most likely a phishing site or your computer has been compromised. Scammers do not pay money to scam.

He asked me to sign up on another paid dating website with my credit card info

#337238 by mariaevinne Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 pm
He had told me that his phone number could be compromised by terrorists leaving him with no ability to text. His solution was asking me to create an account on any paid dating website, he asked for Match.com or Eharmony or something-millionaires (I can't remember the name). He said it would be a way for us to communicate if I created an account for him with MY credit card information & created an account for myself. I told him no way. So, there is no account or website he was on.

I'm fairly certain he was trying to get me to set up the dating site account with my credit card info so he could access it & get my card, address info, etc. He wanted to be able to log in to the account I created for him with his profile. Basically asking me to set up a dating profile for him with my credit card so he could access it. He asked me to do all that & give him the login info. & create 1 for myself, we'd link up on the dating site & communicate that way. All of which I said no to & didn't do.
#337241 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:35 pm
He was not looking for your credit card information. He just needed a new account on a paid dating website. This would enable him to scam more women.

It is difficult for scammers to maintain an account on paid sites. So they ask victims to make them new accounts. Sometimes the scammer will say it is for a friend or family member.

With the Itune card scam. He will be able to sign up to free dating sites, change his Ip and etc.

He said it would be a way for us to communicate if I created an account for him with MY credit card information & created an account for myself.

#337243 by mariaevinne Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 pm
Aahhh, that makes sense! Thank you so much. Well, I learned a hard lesson, probably will never go on another dating site & will simply focus on the positive things & people I have in my life instead of worrying about dating for awhile LOL.

I'm so glad this website is here for us! Thank you for all that you do.
#337244 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:47 pm
Date locally at a public place. Inform friends and family where you are going and who you are meeting.

Make him pay or go dutch. ( Ah, I disclaimer. I'm old fashion so men should pay ) :wink:

Ask friends, co workers, church members for recommendations.

Never in real life would we give money to some one on the third or 13th date.

#340064 by Bryon Williams Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:58 pm
I have proven Dave J Mchugh is a thief/scammer. I have the proof.
Dave J. McHugh
347-640-3357

This post is now locked. If you wish to post in this thread contact a Moderator.

It is 100% a scam.

He is a thief. Everything he has told you is a lie.

Military members do not pay for leave. They earn free leave each year. Also only the member can request leave through his chain of command. His wife, mother, children nor internet girlfriend can do this. Also they would never have contact with his chain of command.

Military members have access to their money. They also do not pay for phones, internet, flights home or medical.

Military provides all meals.

This is a warning from the Army about this scam.
http://www.army.mil/article/130861/Army ... nce_scams/

QUANTICO, Va. (July 30, 2014) -- Special Agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, commonly known as CID, are once again warning internet users worldwide about cyber criminals involved in an online crime that CID has dubbed "the Romance Scam."

CID special agents continue to receive numerous reports from victims located around the world regarding various scams of persons impersonating U.S. Soldiers online. Victims are usually unsuspecting women, 30 to 55 years old, who believe they are romantically involved with an American Soldier, yet are being exploited and ultimately robbed, by perpetrators who strike from thousands of miles away.

"We cannot stress enough that people need to stop sending money to persons they meet on the internet and claim to be in the U.S. military," said Chris Grey, Army CID's spokesman.

"It is very troubling to hear these stories over and over again of people who have sent thousands of dollars to someone they have never met and sometimes have never even spoken to on the phone," Grey said.

The majority of the "romance scams," are being perpetrated on social media and dating-type websites where unsuspecting females are the main target.

The criminals are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The perpetrators will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, or has previously served and been honorably discharged, then marry that up with some photographs of a Soldier off the internet, and then build a false identity to begin prowling the internet for victims.

The scams often involve carefully worded romantic requests for money from the victim to purchase special laptop computers, international telephones, military leave papers, and transportation fees to be used by the fictitious "deployed Soldier" so their false relationship can continue. The scams include asking the victim to send money, often thousands of dollars at a time, to a third party address.

Once victims are hooked, the criminals continue their ruse.

"We've even seen instances where the perpetrators are asking the victims for money to purchase "leave papers" from the Army, help pay for medical expenses from combat wounds or help pay for their flight home so they can leave the war zone," said Grey.

These scams are outright theft and are a grave misrepresentation of the U.S. Army and the tremendous amount of support programs and mechanisms that exist for Soldiers today, especially those serving overseas, said Grey.

Along with the romance-type scams, CID has been receiving complaints from citizens worldwide that they have been the victims of other types of scams -- once again where a cyber crook is impersonating a U.S. service member. One version usually involves the sale of a vehicle; where the service member claims to be living overseas and has to quickly sell their vehicle because they are being sent to another duty station. After sending bogus information regarding the vehicle, the seller requests the buyer do a wire transfer to a third party to complete the purchase. When in reality, the entire exchange is a ruse for the crook to get the wire transfer and leave the buyer high and dry, with no vehicle.

Army CID continues to warn people to be very suspicious if they begin a relationship on the internet with someone claiming to be an American Soldier and within a matter of weeks, the alleged Soldier is asking for money, as well as discussing marriage.

The majority of these scams have a distinct pattern to them, explained Grey.

The perpetrators often tell the victims that their units do not have telephones or they are not allowed to make calls or they need money to "help keep the Army internet running." They often say they are widowers and raising a young child on their own to pull on the heartstrings of their victims.

"We've even seen where the criminals said that the Army won't allow the Soldier to access their personal bank accounts or credit cards," said Grey.

All lies, according to CID officials.

"These perpetrators, often from other countries, most notably from West African countries, are good at what they do and quite familiar with American culture, but the claims about the Army and its regulations are ridiculous," said Grey.

The Army reports that numerous very senior officers and enlisted Soldiers throughout the Army have had their identities stolen to be used in these scams.

To date, there have been no reports to Army CID indicating any U.S. service members have suffered any financial loss as a result of these attacks. Photographs and actual names of U.S. service members have been the only thing utilized. On the contrary, the victims have lost thousands.

One victim revealed that she had sent more than $60,000 to the scammer. Another victim from Great Britain told CID officials that over the course of a year, she had sent more than $75,000 to the con artists.

"The criminals are preying on the emotions and patriotism of their victims," added Grey.

The U.S. has established numerous task force organizations to deal with this and other growing issues; unfortunately, the people committing these scams are using untraceable email addresses on Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc., routing accounts through numerous locations around the world, and utilizing pay-per-hour Internet cyber cafes, which often times maintain no accountability of use. The ability of law enforcement to identify these perpetrators is very limited, so individuals must stay on the alert and be personally responsible to protect themselves.

"Another critical issue is we don't want victims who do not report this crime walking away and thinking that a U.S. serviceman has ripped them off when in fact that serviceman is honorably serving his country and often not even aware that his pictures or identity have been stolen," said Grey.

What to look for:

DON'T EVER SEND MONEY! Be extremely suspicious if you are asked for money for transportation costs, communication fees or marriage processing and medical fees.

Carefully check out the stories you are being told. If it sounds suspicious, there is a reason, it's routinely false -- trust your instincts.

If you do start an internet-based relationship with someone, check them out, research what they are telling you with someone who would know, such as a current or former service member.

Be very suspicious if you never get to actually speak with the person on the phone or are told you cannot write or receive letters in the mail. Servicemen and women serving overseas will often have an APO or FPO mailing address. Internet or not, service members always appreciate a letter in the mail.

Military members have an email address that end in ".mil." If the person you are speaking with cannot sent you at least one email from a ".mil" (that will be the very LAST part of the address and nothing after), then there is a high probability they are not in the military.

Many of the negative claims made about the military and the supposed lack of support and services provided to troops overseas are far from reality -- check the facts.

Be very suspicious if you are asked to send money or ship property to a third party or company. Often times the company exists, but has no idea or is not a part of the scam.

Be aware of common spelling, grammatical or language errors in the emails.

Be cognizant of foreign and regional accents that do not match the person's story.

WHERE TO GO FOR HELP

Report the theft to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (FBI-NW3C Partnership) at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.

Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft.

Your report helps law enforcement officials across the United States in their investigations.

Report the theft by phone at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338) or TTY, 1-866-653-4261.

Report the theft by mail at the following address:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
Washington, DC 20580

Report the fraud by email to the Federal Trade Commission on Nigerian Scams via at [email protected].

For more information on CID, visit http://www.cid.army.mil.

[/quote]

#340390 by AlanJones Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:57 pm
Romance Scammer - Dave J. McHugh
347-640-3357

Legitimate members of the military do not ask random strangers to send them iTunes vouchers.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.