Information on romance scams and scammers.
#420701 by adashiadept58 Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:22 pm
I was contacted by an imposter claiming to be Alven Corby at US Army soldier deployed in Togo. He claims he saw me on Grinder, the gay hookup app, which is entirely possible. He immediately invited me over to Google Hangouts and by the second day he was professing his undying love for me. He claimed he was stationed in Lomé, Togo and that it was a war zone . . :laugh-s:. There are no US military in Western Africa.

I finally cornered this imposter, who is apparently gay himself, as he had told me he was from Houston, TX and that his entire family died when he was a teenager (a very common story among military romance scams). When I finally asked him for proof he sent me a heavily PhotoShopped military CAC. I found the exact same matching background image on Google Images with the same hand holding the card and the same background. This guy sent me a whole host of photos, many which he claimed were spontaneous selfies, none of which matched the climate for Lomé, Togo, which is very near the equator. All the photos were him in down jackets and hats. He actually called me via Google Hangouts. Anyone from Houston, TX should have at least a slight southern twang. This guy spoke English in a heavy African accent. He had the nerve to ask me send him $400.

Removed - AJ

https://wonder.dating/en/users/Alven%20Dean

Here are all the images he has used:

Last edited by AlanJones on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed information educating scammers
Advertisement