Information on romance scams and scammers.
#4420 by Purple_Nights Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:52 am
I belong to a dating site and i guess problem here is that they would try to guess ur email address from ur user name and mine is close to it.

here is how it started when he tried to add me and i decided to IM him first before adding.

Purple (8/5/2008 5:10:19 PM): who are u?

cole_riches (8/5/2008 5:14:14 PM): i am cole madison from cleveland ohio 39 of age ,divorced with a son his name is alex and he is 9 yrs old.i work as an importer dealer of artifacts,Gold and diamonds i buy from clients from africa i travel alot for business becos i have so many clients i supply them in the state,canada and some part of enroupe.i love my job so much becos its fun and i get to meet alot of people and know alot of things all around the world and also gain alot of experence too and a stay at home dad lol.i have custody of my son.i love to fish,camping,hunting,watching movies with my son and friends,love to travell alot,cooking,reading of novels,and also love meeting nice people

(funny i was just askin who he was and he pasted a whole dating profile...jeez)

cole_riches (8/5/2008 5:14:20 PM): i am from

(i deleted the name of the dating site)

Purple (8/5/2008 5:15:22 PM): i see and what is ur name there?

(gosh...took so long for him to respond. i guess he does not know what to say lol...well he never responded after that).

I have noticed it took a while for him to tell me who he is and i guess he couldnt understand me that he posted his whole profile instead of giving me his name...lol.

~Purple_Nights~
"...will always be watchin u..."
Advertisement

#4427 by Ralph Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:59 pm
Hi and welcome Purple nights,

Playing with scammers can be fun but there are precautions that you should take and a few rules that are best to observe for your own safety and to prevent scammers from becoming better at their job.

There is a lot of good information at our sister site www.419eater.com as well as a group of dedicated romance baiters who cause all kinds of pain to love scammers.

I notice you have left out their details, we actually like to have their details posted which allows others who may be a little unsure to do some searches and find your post which may in turn prevent them from being scammed.

Thanks for posting and please feel free to ask any questions if you have them

#4459 by Purple_Nights Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:52 pm
Hey Ralph,

Thanks for the nice and warm welcome. I felt its time for me to voice out stuff like this since i see those scammers are gaining in numbers thinkin they could get away with it.

I kinda thought about the perils of it but on my side am not trying to lure them they just kinda happened and i want them to know am not that gullible for them to scam me. thanks for the advice i would most definitely visit the site u have posted.

about the infos about the scammer, those were the only things i have gained from them and i did wait for a reply for a while but there were no response after. the only thing i deleted was the name of the dating site.

with regards to the dating site, am not sure if i should post it here since i have not thought nor predicted the impact it might cost the site yet. there might be some legalities that i might step on unintentionally and want to make sure if it would be alright before posting it here.

i would surely appreciate any advice on the later subject.

thanks,
Purple_Nights

~Purple_Nights~
"...will always be watchin u..."

#4462 by Ralph Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:45 am
^^ I have fequented many dating sites in the persuit of scammers not love, I am actually happily married and have been for quite some time but keeping scammers and in particular love scammers from innocent people is my passion.

Of all of the dating sites I have ever visited, I have not found one to be free of scammers, after a while you can pick them just by the photo they use or by the small amount they have written about themselves, I have also listed many of the profiles in these and other anti scam sites which does help prevent others from being scammed, looking though some of my previous posts here you will see that I will often do searches to find evidence to pass onto potential victims and the best evidence I can find is usually through those profiles being listed and their emails published.

To give you an example here is a search of his name Click Here perhaps some of this looks familiar, in particular the first result.

And perhaps here are some of his pictures Click Here

And just maybe you will find the pictures he has used for his 9 year old son in Here

A little more information would help to tie it all together and provide some convincing proof for a potential victim.

I am not up to date on the laws from around the world but I cant imagine you being sued by a dating site for posting this information, that is presuming they can find out who you are. which in most cases would be as difficult as finding the person who placed the fraudulent profile
#6192 by Blesst Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:35 am
Looks as though Cole Madison makes the rounds, huh? I put his name in Yahoo search and up he came! That's how I found Scam Warners site actually. Purple Nights, you and I may be, or have been, on the same dating site. Yep, I have learned alot about this virtual cyber world. Some of those lessons were learned the hard way. :|

…kisses are not promises and presents are not contracts...and you learn that even sunshine burns.
#6195 by Ralph Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:41 pm
Blesst, I do hope your lesson was not too hard learnt, we know that scammers can do a lot of damage, not only to your bank account but all your mind and heart.

Please know that it was not your fault that you ended up caught up in his scam, they are professional thieves and are often very good at their job of stealing from people.

If you have any information about this individual that is not posted above please add it to the thread which will perhaps help prevent somebody else from going through the same as or worse than you.

In particular his dating profiles and early emails but if you can get it his headers and IP address would also be handy.

I can show you how to do that if you would like me to which will also help you to detect other scammers in the future
#14081 by social butterfly Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 pm
Hi! I just wanted to let you all know that I too have just met the famous 39 yr. old cole_madison from Ohio. He definitely makes the rounds. He first sent me a black and white picture that looked as though it came out of a GQ magazine. He was wearing a white tank top. Anyway he started sending poetic stuff to me on My Space then he asked if he could IM me because he thought My Space wasn't private enough. He bagan Im'ing me with alot of questions. He gave very little information about himself. So I pryed and pushed for answers to questions. He informed me that he has a ten year old son named Alex. As of today, Alex and Cole's mother are away visiting in Sweden where he is originally from. He asked me if I would please take myself off all dating websites so we could concentrate on a relationship. He bragged how his mother and Alex would be happy to find out that he has met someone finally worth settling down with and possibly having a relationship with. He seems to be rushing things very fast. He then asked for my phone number but I was hesitant and didn't give it to him. I told him I had company and would get back to him. He was very persistent and pushy. My suspicious mind made me google his name and I saw purple-nights testimony. He gave me his telephone number to send pics to show Alex and his mom who I was. The phone number was 234-802-590-9488. I questioned the number because it's awful long for someone that resides in Cleveland, Ohio. Anyway, before I told him I had company I asked tons of questions. He says his birthday is Jan. 1st and Alex's is Jan. 25th. His favorite color is blue. His favorite sport is soccer. However, the more questions I asked he would shift it right back to my financial status. He asked my profession because he saw my big nice home, car, and boat on My Space. He asked alot about my family background. When I told him my father was deceased and was retired from military. He immediately questioned, " Doesn't the military pay alot of money to families when there is a death involved?' Everything shifted back to finances. I am so GLAD INTUITION TOLD ME TO GOOGLE AND I SAW PURPLE_NIGHTS TESTIMONY. I GAVE HIM ALL FAKE INFORMATION AND NEVER GAVE MY PHONE NUMBER. HE IS WAITING FOR ME TO IM back because I left him hanging! IM GLAD I DID! LADIES BEWARE HE IS A SCAMMER FOR SURE! He STARTS CHARMING WITH POETIC IM'S! BEWARE! THANK YOU PURPLE_NIGHTS!
#14082 by Jillian Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 pm
:=)

Welcome social butterfly. I'm so glad to hear that Purple Nights' post here was able to prevent you from being further involved with the scammer! Thanks for taking the time to post and include the phone number he gave you. If you have any other information on him that will update what is on this thread, please do post it. We're glad to have you here. :D

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#14084 by Peta Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:50 am
Hi social butterfly. We love it when people let us know that the information they found on this site helped to confirm their suspicions. :P Kudos to Purple_Nights for posting her experience with the romance scammer “Cole Madison”.

If you’re planning to continue stringing along “Cole” we advise against it. He is essentially a heartless criminal and if he has any of your real life details and learns that you’re playing with him, it may complicate your life far more than you anticipate.
#14086 by social butterfly Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:31 am
No I'm done with Cole Madison after reading Purple_Nights post. I have never googled anyone before but my intuition was telling me to check this guy out. I didn't even know this website exist. I got lucky by reading about him. I never gave him my phone number and the pictures he saw on My Space were not even of my home. I suffered a bad car accident in January that broke my back , cracked my sternum, and almost took my life. The dr.s thought I would be paralyzed waist down and never walk nor work again. I have been unemployed since that almost fatal car crash in January. My mother bouught me a laptop since I'm bed-ridden for now due to broken back. I have a titanium rod for a spine and I'm blessed to be alive and to walk again. I honestly thought I would be paralyzed. Prior to my wreck, I worked as a nurse and the dr.s have requested I file disability. So my laptop is my only communication to the outside world. LOL COLE MADISON picked up on the wrong one when he selected me. hahaha. I haven't been on MY space in over a year nor checked my emails and then I ran into this LOSER. SO I'm thankful to Purple_Nights and this website. SO NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME STINGING THAT DEADBEAT ALONG! Furthermore, I'm engaged and was shocked that he even had nerve to contact me. Im simply just looking for friends after being bed-ridden for 9 months.