Information on romance scams and scammers.
#279682 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:45 am
This lady responded to my CL ad for romance - men seeking women ...

Her email name is "Loretta Jerry" with a picture in the account profile that's different from the picture she attached. I searched online for snips of her email content and discovered it is a very common "form letter," leading up to the final scam ...

Eventually we exchanged email addresses to get off the CL relay system, and the address she is using is: [email protected]

Introductory letter:

hello dear how are you doing today ?? good morning , my name is winnie moore i am new here i am here looking for serious relationship but i am not rushing ,, a friend of mine introduce me to this online relationship ,, how old are you ??? just checking bye and i got your profile here and feel like saying hi o you ,, i will love to know you better ,, but if yu are interested in getting to know more about me you can drop me a message here ...
winnie

Pictures she sent of herself (I marked them "Used by Scammer" to prevent further misuse):

Loretta Jerry (Google account):

Winnie Moore:

Last edited by jly on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Advertisement

#279683 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:46 am
2nd letter:

I'm winnie .......sorry for late reply dear.....am new here and seeking for meaningful relationship but sorry dear ...am not always online here so can you drop me your email address? So as for me to write you more about me and send you pics as well.....glad to hear back from you

#279685 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:47 am
3rd message:

Hello Dear ,

Thanks for the email and it was nice hearing from you, i am
surprise you got me back.. and i would really like to get to know you
better ,Well i do stay here in Evans, GA but i don't always get on
line to chat and am not so good at phone cos as the first time i just
don't know what to say, but i always update my private Gmail
account,well we both know a little from our profile so i think we can
go this way and see what we have in common ....I believe getting to
know someone 1st.. That friendships are built. They are built from a
strong foundation 1st, and then they continue to grow from there. Yes,
it takes Times, there is give, and take involved. I believe in open
communication, standing in our truth, being honest, and having
integrity. Honoring and respecting each other is high on my list. I
treat people the way I like to be treated. I believe what comes around
goes around. I am a very compassionate person. I am in no rush, I think
it's very important to take the time to get to know someone. That is
what builds true friendships. Quality friendships,let me know what you
think.I will try in writing you more about me and i will be looking
forward to hearing from you soon.

Am looking for a man that will be able to listen to me , communicate
his feelings to me , make me laugh, hold and comfort me in need,stand
by my side, respect me, passionate lover in every way, support me in
every way, love me and only me, make me smile, protect me when needed,
romantic time to time ,constantly reactive, and treat me right, I know
you will think what is a pretty lady like me doing on here .. Yes the
reason I came on to the internet to find the special person who
deserves all the love and passion that makes up my heart and soul is
because I do not have the time to meet others out in a public setting,
and the fact I feel you can learn so much about someone through
letters, as a person has to take there time and think about the words
they want to express, so it allows you to gain a better understanding
of someone than you would probably otherwise.

As far as i dislikes.I don't like fake people, I don't like man that
are all into money and not Kind to caring(sure money is important but
there are other things more important). I like a man that is
comfortable and confident in his own Word of kind,Caring lIfe.

I hope this message finds you well and hope you can share some photos
in telling me more about yourself,ask me anything i always have a hard
time knowing what to tell about myself.

Sincerely,

#279686 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:48 am
4th message:

Hello

Thank you so much for getting back in touch with me as it actually made my day!!! I am really going to put a lot of effort into writing this letter to you in hopes it will provide you with a good understanding of who I am, what I am all about, and what has made me the person I am today. The reason I am going to write a letter rather than just send a message is because I am serious about wanting to establish a quality friendship with someone honest and caring, I rarely contact anyone on here, so you can be rest assured I am serious about my intentions as am here for real. I'm a single lady,I have a great career, a great family, but as the future get older the days comes and go more quickly as I am reminded of how much more fun it would be to find the right person to share life's journey.

I am a single lady of 30 year old , single never married , Home town Australia, in the city of Perth the western part of Australia, i obtained my degree at the University of Notre Dame in Australia before i moved down here in state years ago and graduated as an Accounting Student.

My family: I laugh with my dad so much before i lost him and even a lot with my mum because i learnt dancing from her, lo ! I love dancing and i asked my mom to know why i love dancing and she told me that when I was a little baby, she put me in the middle of the room and she starts dancing because I was a lovely baby and I looked at her dancing, that's why I'm a bit special lol. Am US Citizen and also been to Germany so many places when my father was till alive then, in his Auto Mobile trading from Germany to Africa.

My self: I find so much peace and tranquility here. I`m 5`7"140 with a athletic build , mentally stable, physically fit, a bunch of laughs, warm, caring, honest, good listening, God Fearing, and a positive person,I am real easy person to talk to and a good listener. I love to play golf and I enjoy chilling` with my friend/family. I like going to the movies or watching movies in my room , I like swimming , fishing, listening to music and dance, traveling , going bowling and etc.I am a family oriented person and I get along with everyone in my family and outside my family. There are more, but it would be better for you to find some things out for yourself. Am here down for a serious relationship.

..............., I love all kinds of music and I started to learn golf recently so this is something you can teach me if you are good and active you know. I like all kinds of music any thing that makes me dance I'm up for it even though my dancing is terrible :). I listen to hip hop,R & B ,Rock...I like stand up comedy I watch Jon Stewart every night. I am a very good listener and when giving the chance, I could talk your ear off, loll. I am really shy at first but once I get to know you be ready to get an ear full loll. I can't think of anything else to write now I will send another e-mail later if you would like.

I thought this would be a good way to start, getting to know someone by E-mail/letters first I think will help. I hope to hear from you soon and I am really interested in knowing what makes you the special person you are today,( What would You like to Tell me?) I want to know more about your family, your background, your life experiences, your Age,full name, your goals and dreams, your interests, and anything else you want to tell me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and I can't wait to meet you to begin our friendship.

winnie

#279688 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:49 am
5th message:

honey the way you tolk me...make happy,The place that I am in now is the best of all. I see you as someone I can trust, confide in, play with and enjoy life with. You make me so happy. I can't begin to describe how you really make me feel so I will offer just this: I love you.

6th message:

honey i no that,The place that I am in now is the best of all. I see you as someone I can trust, confide in, play with and enjoy life with. You make me so happy. I can't begin to describe how you really make me feel so I will offer just this: I love you.

#279689 by Mike Wilson Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:51 am
Hello,
Please post the email address this scammer is using.

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#279691 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:54 am
As you can see in her above responses, she has rather poor English grammar, spelling, and usage. Moreover, she never answers my specific questions, nor refers to me by name. All very plain vanilla and copy-and-paste-ish. Almost robotic.

At this point, her messages become more direct and personal, and there seems to definitely be a "real" person on the other end. I sense she is trying to establish a rapport. I am playing along and am waiting for the shoe to drop. Will report back here what transpires.
#279700 by Mike Wilson Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:53 am
Thanks,
If the scammer has any of your real information then I strongly suggest that you stop all contact with this criminal. Sometimes these scammers can get vindictive after they their information posted on an anti fraud site..

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
#279701 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:05 am
Ok, thanks ... so far, the only contact info that has been exchanged is a secondary email address. Thanks for the warning, though, and will watch out for danger signs.
#279753 by jly Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:39 pm
So, after almost a week of back and forth, the shoe finally dropped today ...

"Winnie" asked me to join her in a google hangout chat. Her responses were very slow in coming, sometimes taking an hour to respond, but usually taking around 10-20 minutes. It definitely didn't feel like a real chat with a real girl who's interested in a romantic relationship. Moreover, it was very clear that she was not a native English speaker, as her spelling and grammar were horrendous. I only stayed with it because I was interested in how the scam would go down.

Eventually, she proposed that she would fly out to see me, and she asked me to buy the ticket. I said sure, and I offered to buy it for her via the online travel services, which is very quick and easy - anyone can buy a ticket for anyone else, as long as the passenger's name is their full legal name on a government issued ID. So, I proposed this to her, and asked her to verify her full, legal name, address, and phone number.

Of course, she would not, and instead counter-proposed that her friend can give her a great deal on the ticket, and all I would need to do was send her the money. (The shoe drops finally!!)

I said, "Ok, but to assure me you are real, please send me a selfie of yourself holding a calendar showing today's date, and write my name somewhere on the calendar."

She then acted offended that I would ask such a "silly" thing, saying other men had asked her to do similar silly things, but she thought I was different. I asked her what she would do if the tables were turned (which she never responded to), and asked her if she had another way to verify herself, I would be open to it. She kept pleading with me to think straight about this and not let this get in the way of the relationship, life, and love we were trying to build.

This went on for quite a bit longer than I thought it would. I thought she would eventually give up, seeing that I wasn't an easy mark. But in the end, I got tired of the game, reminded her that scamming people in romance scams is not very meaningful work. and wished her the very best.

She didn't respond after that.

I honestly don't know how any sane person could ever fall for such an obvious scam, but apparently, enough do to keep this curious industry flourishing!
#279819 by jly Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Update:

Amazingly, even after all the above, Winney is still reaching out to me. Maybe because there's several different scammers on the other end, and one doesn't know what the other is doing or saying. From her latest message, I can foresee she is building up to another dropped shoe:

honey.......since my father's death i have started to live my life all by myself and not depending on my mom before i do anything, although i still miss my Dad because of the courage and the advice he used to give to me, but i am glad i am whom i am today. Mom do stay in UK London and I'm Planing to visit her very soon about my business cos there's no one else like my mon right now, she is my back bone as am walking into a new business of buying and selling of Arts work and sculptures.More than 88 lives have been vaishehed including my father Auto Trading wear house which was burnt up in an explosion of a pipeline as i did mention to you earlier in my previous mail,the explosion occurred due to a reckless construction using a bulldozer in the process of it's construction activities without map.

#279825 by HillBilly Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:25 pm
jly wrote:Update:Amazingly, even after all the above, Winney is still reaching out to me. Maybe because there's several different scammers on the other end, and one doesn't know what the other is doing or saying.

jly, it isn't amazing at all. The fact is you are nothing more than a fish that almost took the bait of this scammer. And the scammer won't give up until he ( yes, I said he because there is 90% or more chance it is a HE, not a she. He is playing a role of a woman is all) has exhausted every possible tactic to get you back in touch with him.

Mike has already asked you to stop communication with the scammer, and that does not just mean passively stop. It means make all communications stop.

Block the email address, and if you get more emails from strangers block them before you open them as well. The goal is to tug at your strings, and the scammer won't stop until he reaches his goal.

#279829 by jly Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:58 pm
The other shoe is about to drop! ....

My love,i have to inform you,we had a call and email of letters here doing the weekend from the jointly of lawyer in Africa about my late father compensation that the money has been paid to a bank called (BANK UBA) since 22nd of last month 2015, deposited by the Nigeria Lagos State Government and we are informed to come along with all the document of my late father company as we are giving only this new month for clearing this with some others document my mother used in attending the last court conference over there to show this up in the bank as an evidence to claim this money ( $17.000.000.00) but my mother can't go for this any more as i told you because of her illness of skin cancer,i have to represent her and wire this money to my account in state by transferring this since it is met for me to start my new business and this what i have been praying for to come to an end, so my dream can come true with you,.................

#279832 by jly Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:33 pm
And the other shoe drops ...

She wants $1500 wired via Western Union to (of course) Nigeria:

All you need at western union

Name : Winnie moore
State : Lagos
Zip code : 23401
Text Question:For who
Text Answer;MOORE

just go o to the store and do that now