Information on romance scams and scammers.
#36837 by rollercutie Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:42 pm
Met on connectingsingles yahoo is still active [email protected] address given was 3032 S 136th E Ave Tulsa which does exist, said was an e6 staff srgnt US army. I googled the name David Cox and found a new article from a military site and the real David Cox is a staff srgnt ,does exist and was in Iraq in 2008. David claimed to b in iraq on his 2nd tour, we chat on the site for abt 1 week then moved to hotmail and yahoo IM. then he was moved to afghanstan(2wks ago). did not claim to love me in 2 days, said things like "i am falling for u big time" or "u are my heart my everything" "u dont know how much u mean to me" for weeks b4 finailly saying he loved me. sometimes the emails were short just checking to see how my day was etc. Started saying how bad it ws in afghanistan, he lost 2 friends and was scared and didnt know why he was still there when he had me waiting for him.. said was not due for leave til march..a few days later says his general will approve a private leave if I ask for it..suspisious i was..gives me [email protected] of course i google general gordon moulds and find he exists. I email and got a long reply about procedures etc..& if we want his help to get David out now the flight would cost $2375 first class or $1800 econemy. I said i didnt have the money and asked for his family to help. I get a call from his mom, but I didnt aswer my cell so she emailed me too saying she would help with the costs. I trace the number to a california land line 7607058888 but nonpublishd,the news article I read said David was from California. Moms name is Julie, [email protected]. We email back and forth but she took over, emailed the general and forward me all the details. Was told to send money western union to US Military, department of Aviation headquarters in Malaysia to a David Baker, Puchong, Selangor 47100. I asked David to email me from his military email, i get a reply from US Military Personnal [email protected] -said he was from Fort Sill in Oklaholma. I accepted it as truth. google the us embasy in mayalsia and the ip addresses of all his emails, same area. I google the airport is the same zipcode as the one given to me. Julie tells me she made her payment. I ask about the 19135 in their email he said it was a zip code where they used to live in philedelphia so i check it out & it was.I checked all the iip adress to make sure they did not come from nigeria or ghana or africa at all - all maylasia and I was told the servers where there too like the embassy..i had doubts but i wanted to belive because there was just so much supporting it to be true..so I made the payment.. The next day i get an email from the general saying David needs a $1700 BTA to leave. I knew the BTA was a scam. I called Julie and the number was disconnected. Yesterday David still insisted he was real and was coming to me and that is mom was gonna pay $500 BTA..asked me to pay too. i said no. I left him still trying to convince me he was real and his yahoo is still active. I closed my account. I want everyone to know about this cause I could not find his name or pic on any of the scam sites and if I had I would be a little richer today. And if it wasnt for the role his mom played or the phone call I would not have fallen for it. i gambled and lost & i will never us a free dating site again but I am ok but the next person might loss more or be hurt more so i am posting this. I have pics not sure where to put them
Advertisement

#36846 by Dotti Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:22 pm
Welcome rollercutie,

I'm sorry to hear you were scammed. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Posting this scammer's info will help other potential victims. Of course I'm sure you realize now that he is not really David Cox, and you weren't really in touch with him or his mother (in fact, most likely he was writing the emails that supposedly came from his mother, too).

The phone number appears to be a google voice number. That means that your scammer (or an accomplice) was using a "calls through gmail" option. It shows up as California because that is where google headquarters are.

Sometimes scammers do search online and find some info on a real soldier for their scams--some of them even pretend to be top US military staff! But there are definite indicators if you know what to look for--the problem is, many people don't know what to look for.

A few indicators in this scenario:
-3032 S 136th E Ave Tulsa is actually a condo that is listed for sale by owner. The scammer probably found the address this way.
-a real general conducting military business would have a US Military address, not an AOL address. Also, for some reason scammers feel the need to put ranks and titles in their phony email addresses, something real people in those roles most likely would not do.
-there is no such thing as a "private leave."
-There is no paying the US Army for leave.
-The US Army does not take payment by Western Union.
-If you google 19135, the first thing that comes up is that it is a Philadelphia zip code. The number probably meant nothing to the scammer--but when you asked, he googled it to come up with a reason, and gave you the first one that came up.
-His story about the servers in Malaysia was another lie. However, he probably is in Malaysia. There is a large cell of Nigerian scammers operating out of Malaysia because it is easy for Nigerians to get student visas there.

If you can post some of the emails from him and his other characters, that would be very helpful--often scammers change names, but reuse scripts, so having the scripts posted has the potential to help even more victims. As far as posting photos goes, here is information:
http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

While it is true that there are lots of scammers on free dating sites, there are also real people out there--and the paid dating sites have their share of scammers too. Some sites are more proactive than others in trying to keep scammers off, but the best of systems is still not perfect.

If you decide to continue searching online, whether you use a free or a paid dating site, you will still need to be on the lookout for scammers. While googling the name of anyone you are contacting is a good start, there are other things you can check, and we are always here to help if you have questions or doubts about someone you encounter.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#36924 by rollercutie Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 pm
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?
i=20a736ddd23a.jpghttp://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.p ... 632145.jpg
http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php? ... 1a1d90.jpg

From David Cox Mon Sep 6 16:23:13 2010
X-Apparently-To: rollercutie via 98.138.85.131; Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:23:14 -0700
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received-SPF: none (mta1082.mail.re4.yahoo.com: domain of [email protected] does not designate permitted sender hosts)
X-YMailISG: 7SCYwOMcZAoY6h2zxCapUkWeh3CH2Yty.TRstM8XhUH9_3nq
l6SPwnNh3Da6.NGicmrEZnMRi.a_eTfQUtA1QiNydLrOjaxZmwV5eKZHvMgu
Qoenn46Fq2m8gOkoHPYWHgcU272HbrJUIBjD248CbbaMyTx7hI5h0U8uQ2Xa
Ia4UqV2967Zv6xFOaNFv1KbpimKNqN6kZXaiMWtdzFSwFCLS7bVkqTUIPeeI
0ZEYnJypE9sVmEG9JTIRZvKPgI9Cjqf4uU2s0eVdvm75E31xev05SfW.OUCV
sxQnfr4hraznEIe4MuxQhCKJZsEY21pZTM.078KRYjc1XzDwR0GUopbcCu2M
qNoHu2Pjziz21ZY_Lz1ncyHhniIaIIg49hAM4atc5vexORXov_Qxjyd9M6M3
brCKrcjN_XVRVph3LjqBVwAYWeJ47WW7_fambaknjUTDA3yKeErFskrqfTma
ieIoqG0hwepU6wQ1JvffXB5R8NcpmElzbeS9ZchunCg6S.85IG9r8J7HnKaK
VUMgwStm045zx3xAU.OHZvS5pzEz9yXkPzNlNFhITRzYgSnqTd0tYb4hxxPp
CpP0eFeLGGjnnbEe7ReiSzTo4vor.muxF6k0444xrKdT6lpSBnDa
X-Originating-IP: [87.248.110.140]
Authentication-Results: mta1082.mail.re4.yahoo.com from=yahoo.co.uk; domainkeys=pass (ok); from=yahoo.co.uk; dkim=pass (ok)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (HELO n23.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com) (87.248.110.140)
by mta1082.mail.re4.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:23:14 -0700
Received: from [217.146.182.177] by n23.bullet.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Sep 2010 16:23:13 -0000
Received: from [87.248.110.52] by t3.bullet.ukl.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Sep 2010 16:23:13 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp104.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Sep 2010 16:23:13 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: [email protected]
Received: (qmail 10520 invoked by uid 60001); 6 Sep 2010 16:23:13 -0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1283790193; bh=qZHFO216i/EbZFiej+I2GvBIyFhbvSaKu8Z1JqtQwV4=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=fo02ylIdSzwDFGcEJ70Zde/MoYrSxmCLifBUJp76hiK7mOTqZro0f1Z11WJlD+AyNqeFRitayrEOPT45omCAHr3LYCvY++6seCq2akzWU+YM5bL8N8a/G6am4iyJL53l+VP+fdKAP8nXH5chwT0I+Gk0750Wwf+FoClq5QcvBh8=
DomainKey-Signature:a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk;
h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
b=zUYPzfLctjy3KTg9ytTxvLEEPMKoK1eGYsksm7MY0YHZyoazT4f1DPsDNyLtsyKHesp5l7f27mCHtooY9lbCpK5lP1Ix380OmolsRNrSzkkUCNsmNITIaG+EfNE6GtiyE4o/oEhuSZbPQ6LN650y+eAj2Y96ydVPcMetWZig/ZU=;
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-YMail-OSG: XJGvKa4VM1l_X6PUWPbIW.4kXFmhMOIRVRnQgVE2Uax0ZtH
6sTkzuzS_bEZQQcbBBsY02gP2LTKBnxRhzc71_ruJC5yG5__R7MtN7EQqEVe
msPps9HMltoPx._BbcsoMbgb54wAQcJ401tG9U5gFzYkSahu0IjnLP5CTqi8
8va8m.KFov5CsHFV8.oer6nhYq8gJjiuzlB.S_g--
Received: from [120.141.102.63] by web24907.mail.ird.yahoo.com via HTTP; Mon, 06 Sep 2010 16:23:13 GMT
X-Mailer: YahooMailClassic/11.3.2 YahooMailWebService/0.8.105.279950
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:23:13 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: T***
To: rollercutie@l
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1924146451-1283790193=:72764"
Content-Length: 1272

i guess something is wrong cause i do not know why i never hear from you i think you do not care about me being here anymore hun, Well i miss you and i wish i could be chatting with you right now but you ain't come online why ?
#36929 by Dotti Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:25 pm
Typical scammer response (and even that 2 line email contains multiple indicators of a scammer). Just continue to ignore him. He may try a bit longer to convince you he is real, or he may go in the opposite direction and start acting threatening, but no matter what he does, ignore him and once he finally realizes he really has no chance of getting anything more from you, he'll give up.

As you said, headers trace to Malaysia, where he is probably on a student visa.

#36931 by rollercutie Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:44 pm
I have hard copies of the email from the general and his mom telling me what to do with the payment and western union cause of course i had never used western union b4.. I can scan them into email and post if u think they will help too.
Only 1 of the 3 pictures actually worked.. i have them if anyone wants to see them and they are closer up.

I doubt he will contact me again.. i got into a pretty nasty fight with him in IM on monday and I left a nasty email for him telling him he was going to hell for doing what he does.and what goes around comes around and one day he will get his... etc.. felt good...but his email is still active
#36934 by Dotti Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 am
but his email is still active

We prefer it that way. If that email gets closed, he will open another in less than a minute (that is, if he doesn't already have several backups, as many of them do). If a victim googles the new email address, they won't learn the truth. If he keeps using this one, and the victim googles his email, they will find out right away that this is a scammer.

You'd be surprised at how persistent some scammers can be! If he doesn't have other paying victims on the hook, he will stick around and keep trying.