Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#357250 by concerned00000078 Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm
Bryon Williams wrote:Read page 1. First post and second post.

Thank you. Do you think what I'm dealing with is a scam? It has all the hallmarks of it, I'm just looking for reassurance. This whole thing has been very traumatic.
#357294 by Terminator5 Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:00 am
It's a scam . You really haven't posted any information about what happened to you . If what happened to you matches the other cases it's a scam . Report it on the IC3 Website . Thx .

Daniel 8 :25
#357596 by Milton Griffin Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:04 pm
I'm talking to the guy from (208) 761-5718. I just told him I would help out but, I need the patient name and the hospital of admittance to make and anonymous donation. I felt bad for this poor girl at first but the story was almost exactly like the original post. Is it bad if I mess with this guy for a while?
#358130 by RevJim Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm
I think I may have been affected by this scam as well. If you could clarify I would greatly appreciate it. I met a "woman" on a dating site and had a short conversation which turned into text messaging. We exchanged pictures and I then found out she was 17. I stopped all communication and 2 days later I received a phone call from a captain of the local sheriff's office stating tat I needed to return his call pertaining to a serious police matter involving my communications with a minor.
Being scared I called the number back (which was a cell phone) and was informed that a criminal complaint had been filed against me and that he wanted my side of the story. I explained my side and then "captain" said he would reach out to the parents to give them my side. The captain stated that he would attempt to see if there is something that could be done to resolve this outside of court. About an 15 minutes later I received a call from the "captain" as well as the father on the phone. I was then told that the daughter was a minor and when she was caught recording a video at which I was going to be the receiver of she attempted to swallow a bunch of pills in an attempt to kill herself. The father than stated that his daughter was in a psychiatric hospital for a 15 evaluation.
I was stupid enough to offer my condolences and apologies for what transpired and asked if there was anything I could do in order to help him and his family and also to be sure that this could be resolved. The father stated that I could pay for the psychiatric stay at a cost of $6800. I told him that I didn't have that kind of money but offered to make payments and with the first being of $250 (I am an idiot). The father agreed and the captain offered to be the mediator of these transactions. I was then asked to get a green dot moneypak card and once I have that to text t he captain with the code and receipt, which I did. Now a day later and I am able to think clearly I think I was scammed. Please let me know if I was and what I should do. Thank you in advance.
#358131 by Bryon Williams Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 pm
It is a scam.

Stop all contact with everyone involved. Ignore the calls and text. You may have to change your number. Do not answer unknown calls.

Post the phone numbers and names used.

Read page one 1st post.

Report this to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#358133 by RevJim Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 pm
Thank you very much.

The names used were:
David Evans -Father
Stacy Evans -Daughter
Captain Howard Hughes -Police Captain
I deleted all numbers except that of Hughes. That number is 843-998-3322
#358144 by Terminator5 Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 am
@RevJim

Can you post a link to the dating site profile so we can look at it ?

#359615 by macjake9 Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 pm
so this on started on Skout dating app, then went to google hangouts, and then a video was made of me. i have names and phone numbers as well as emails

however I didnt find this site until made a payment, well two payments actually to try and get a hacked facebopok account that was made of me as well as an email account. also said he was putting it on youtube. not quite sure what to do. i used a fake name up until i had to use my credit card. i dont have any social media other than instagram and twitter which i barely use. so now what should i do? still just block and ignore?
#360798 by JND99 Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:31 pm
I believe I just encountered the same scam on OkCupid. Recently messaged by a girl where we started chatting a bit and then she wanted to text. She had the same area code and seemed pretty normal (as in not a bot). Her profile said she was 19 and going to school for nursing or something along those lines and that both her parents were military. I would have more detail but as soon as we started texting she deleted her account (1st flag). So we started texting and the first day or two was normal and even talked about hanging out which eventually would lead to an excuse not too. Then she started making sexual jokes and I played along, which she did start asking for pictures and at first i just kept changing the conversation. This happened 2 or 3 days back to back where she would only text once or twice a day and at the end ask for pictures. Finally i just sent one with my shirt off and she preceded to send more of her. There wasn't much conversation after that.
Immediately the next morning I get a call from her phone which i didn't pick up cause i'm working. No voicemail left, but then i get a text from the "father". He says this is Morgans father and proceeds to tell me that she is only 17 and that Morgan and the mother got into a physical incident because the school found out she had those pictures on her phone. He also said that you don't know what family you messed with and that he has my address and another contact of mine to get in touch with. Also, that if i don't get back to him ASAP he will post all my pics on social media and have me arrested.
So of course pretty freaked out at first because that text caught me completely off guard, so i text him back saying she was on a 18+ dating site and told me she was 19, if i had known she was younger i wouldn't have even texted her in the first place. He calls me and just yells at me for a bit and i just sit there and listen to it and hang up and he says he and his wife are meeting with a private investigator in an hour. I call him a couple times but he never picks up EVER! and the phone goes to a standard VM. He calls me back and says let's talk this man to man and keeps calling me "son". Ultimately it comes to him wanting me to pay to deactivate the phone and pay for monthly fees. He also sent me a text with a random address which i asked how did you get this, to make him think he actually knows mine, and i actually laughed a bit, but he said my friend is an investigator and we were able to locate your address (which was totally wrong). At this point i was pretty sure it was a scam so i played along and asked how much for the phone and fees. He then said he would call me back with the costs and other details. He texted me saying it would be 775.18 and monthly fees to deactivate and so i said can i get your name and address to mail the money too? and he did not want to give me any further information. So then he recommended Walgreens or CVS for a moneypak which could be sent directly to his wifes debit card. He wanted it done ASAP. Thats where i called him out on this and told him i was blocking his number. He sent me one last message that said "ill show you a scam, my attorney will handle this, see you in court". Since then i have blocked his number and haven't heard anything (3 days).

Just like what others have described. This guy sounded like an African American man, little bit southern, hard to hear at times, and sometimes would call with no answer or would delay 15 -20 seconds before even talking. He would call me son all the time both on txts and over the phone. The girl had a local area code and the father used her phone (703)382-2435 (Engleside, VA), but after I looked this number up, it is a Landline/Non Fixed VoIP. From further digging I found that this number is an inactive number from Broadwing Communications and has been ported through Bandwidth.com which means that actual location of the caller could be anywhere. I did come up with a couple consistent results. I was able to trace the VoIP number to a guy in AL, name Kelly Craig Brown, when I dug a bit deeper this guy has over 8 different phone numbers mixed with landlines and mobile phones that are from VOIP Telecommunication based companies. I can't confirm for sure how accurate but 3 different VoIP tracers i used showed the same results. (Seems suspicious, also his social media (FB) doesn't have any pictures or friends associated).

Anyway, I am almost certain this is a scam as so i will report this to the IC3, but wanted to share this as this site really helped ease that scare with all the post of people experiencing the same thing. Hope this contact and potential 'suspect' info can help catch one of these scumbags.
#360799 by Terminator5 Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:35 pm
Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences . Your post will help warn other potential victims of this Blackmail Extortion Scam . Be sure to file a report on the IC3 Website

#360827 by Solo13 Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:36 am
I was on the website fling.com. Have been a paying member for awhile and have never had any issues interacting with anyone on the site. I chatted up a attractive blonde girl, that was 24. She immediately wanted to take the conversation off the site and to text, and like a idiot i did.

She texts me and I ask her more about herself, she said she was born a mute and likes to cook and wanted to be a chef, her name was laura. I thought it was odd, that my iphone identified the number as "maybe: Laura" that was my first red flag.

Anyway, she starts sending dressed and undressed pictures. Like a dumb ass i sent some back when she asked for them, but none of them were "good enough". She kept saying i cant be sure those are of you, she wanted me to send one of me naked, with my face clearly showing, i thought that was very odd, that she wanted that specifically. red flag #2. So, i stopped texting, cuz something just didn't add up.

I'd receive sporadic texts the coming days like "hey" or 'sorry i got busy" i didn't respond or id say "oh,ok". The last text i got from the fake person was "oh sorry, i've been planning my 17th birthday party". At that point i deleted the message, alot of "wtf" going through my head with, "this is creepy". Huge red flag #3. This was on a Friday.

Saturday morning the "grandfather" blows up my phone with the script that runs throughout this entire thread, you got x amount of time to call me, why are their pictures of you on my granddaughters phone, my brother in law is a retired detective, my wife is livid. yadda yadda.

I probably looked white as ghost, it was just a bombardment. So, i called back and no answer, called several times, he texts back, i'm at the airport, lets just text for the moment, he keeps reading me the riot act. So, i text, "i need to talk to you, because someone lied here and its not me." I keep calling and he finally picks up, and what do we have?! Everyones favorite scumbag scam artist the AFRICAN AMERICAN man with the heavy southern accent. (The girl in the pictures was blonde, Caucasian and mid-20s looking without a doubt.)

Anyway, we talk and I tell him, thats a paid membership site for adults 18 and over and then we get cutoff.

I went to fling and screenshot their login page that specifically says "by submitting this form you certify you are 18 years and older" as well as their legal section that states "if you use this site in violation of the ADULTS ONLY terms and conditions that you are subject to legal action" His response was "we are looking into to suing that site"

He tells me he just wants to cover the cost of the fees to cancel the phone. Which i could handle by sending a green dot money pak, through cvs, walgreens, etc and he sent a jpeg of what it looked like. I thought, this is CRAZY. i screenshot the number then block him. I do a reverse look up and its a non-fixed VOIP.

I went back to fling to cancel my membership and "lauras" profile is gone and no record of any messages.

I learned not to trade photos with strange women online anymore and removed every profile i have on dating sites, tinder, pof, etc.

In closing DONT TRUST ANYBODY unless they give you a reason too. :D
#360831 by Tim Atem Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:32 am
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's a valuable lesson learned the hard way and hopefully one you can avoid in the future. Thank you for posting! What phone numbers were they using?

====================================
PLEASE DO NOT TELL A SCAMMER HE IS REPORTED HERE!

Learn what a scam is and how to protect yourself
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5