Information on romance scams and scammers.
#344118 by Dillon haber Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:00 pm
I met a female on a dating app sent pics back and forth. Two days later I got a call from her number saying it was her dad, he told me he would call from his phone when he did it was from a completely different area code and he said he wanted 800 dollars to pay for a facility he was sending his daughter after ignoring calls and messages for another couple days he called again saying he involved police in the matter. Then the next day the girls number called me again I didn't answer so it spammed me with messages saying it was a detective by the name of James wright he didn't give a badge number he sayed if I didn't contact immediately he's file a warrant for my arrest after ignoring those he said he'd call me from his office phone but I still haven't heard anything. Can anyone please help with answers if been freaking out all week
Advertisement

#344119 by Bryon Williams Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:03 pm
Its a scam.

Continue to ignore them.

The fake police officer may call using a spoofed number.

Read page one of this thread and follow the directions.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#344120 by Dillon haber Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:12 pm
John dough$ wrote:
Anuboy23 wrote:Yea so a similar situation happened do to me just recently , where I contacted a girl on pof saying she is 18 then later on tells me she is 17 after she sent me a nude (I didn't ask ) . But she requested one from me and I'm not going to send my body so I take a fake pic off google and send it , then we stopped contact. About a week later her "father " contacts me saying I'm in big trouble and says we can not press charges of u give me 700!to deactivate her phone. Or he will report me to the authorities , then he later states he also needs money for his daughter for a program to rehabilitate her cause she's scarred and all that . Is this a scam? Should I give u the numbers he called from and there name ? Thank you . I lo foward Tia reply

////////// this happened to me was it a small white girl with blonde hair? The pof profile was took down after we started texting but her name was Missysosweet. If this has happened to you or anyone else please let me know "dad" is claiming to call police unless I pay for treatment center because she is suicidal. Phone number of her dad is 702-331-3291

The same thing happend to me but the numbers involved were 207 352 2696
And 843 205 9915
#344121 by Dillon haber Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:05 pm
Irmoron wrote:
Tim Atem wrote:I'm sorry this happened to you. Make sure you file a report at IC3 and give them as much information as you can:

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/

I appreciate it, but you have no need to apologize. I did it to myself. I recognized it from the get go but I missed identified as a bot and wanted to see how it would react. For the most part, it did kinda what I expected. I was expecting to get a link any moment to "see more" or "for her safety" but no, that's when I got a message from the "father." That is pretty much when I was like, huh, I guess this is actually a scam. I'm a father myself, I wouldn't text some guy if he was messaging my underage daughter, I would be calling.

Then the call from the "detective" so I got a little more worried, but couldn't figure out if the person I was talking to is supposedly near me in ND why would a guy from SC call? What really had me freaking out is that there were two cops at my kid's school back home that talked to some people in a couple of different cars the same day I hung up on Mr "detective." But it could have been a coincidence since someone made some unsubstantiated threats to the school district a few days prior, just bad timing I think. No police have showed up to my house, which if this was real I figured would happen pretty quick.

It wasn't until I found this site and others like it, that began to calm down and know for sure it had to be a scam. My experience is pretty much exactly what others experienced except I never gave the scammers a chance to ask for money because I figured it was a scam as soon as the "father" stepped in. I kind of wished I did though, would feel a bit more comfortable I think.

Oh well, learned my lesson for sure. Luckily I used my Google Voice number, so it's easier to mark as spam/block without ever hearing from them again.

I am going through that right now but luckily I found this sight it was driving me to the point I was about to go turn myself in because I couldn't pay and couldn't take the anticipation of waiting for the police to show up but you're story is almost the exact same as mine
#344145 by tylorboi Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 pm
I believe I'm in the midst of a scam, I "met" the individual named "Anthony" on an app called GDaddy, claimed to be 18. The person requested to exchange phone numbers because they were planning to get off the app. They requested that when i text them, to send my full name and a photo. I sent photo, no full name. We exchanged texts, casual conversation. He claimed to live in Utah (i'm in Pennsylvania) and was hearing impaired and said he was 17. Being suspicious, I proceeded with caution. At one point, he sent an unsolicited picture of a person's backside, which did not show any identifying traits, such as a face. I didn't respond. He then said his father was going to buy him a new Infinity and he would be able to visit me. I brushed this off as unrealistic. He also asked for a dirty pic of myself, which i never responded to. Later he claimed that he was making a video for me.
Next thing I know, I'm getting a voice message from the 'father' by the name of Mike McGraw, (801) 391-3972 who says that his 'son' had attempted to commit suicide and is being treated for psychological problems, he wanted to speak to me and the authorities were interested to see the phone. I smelled a scam. I used one of the reverse phone look up sites (Intelius) and the "son's" phone number, (801) 513-5135, belonged to a xxxxx. The "father's" number, (801) 391-3972 is not associated with anyone. Then there was a call from a (801) 960-3357, which is assigned to a 'Mike'. Then a call from (801) 433-7624, assigned to a xxxxx. Then I got a text message from a (801) 781-5155 who is suppose to be a "representative" of the father, of course no name was given, but reverse phone look up revealed this number to belong to a xxxx. Then a "Mike" called my former workplace and left a message to call (801) 391-3971, which belongs to a xxxxx
When I search for a "xxxxx" in Ogden, UT through Intelius, the name that pops up is "xxx" but he's also known as xxxin Washington state with no phone records. I have blocked all numbers and have not spoken to anyone from the (801) area code, but continue to get calls from (801) 391-3972.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed names as the numbers may be spoofed.
#344146 by Bryon Williams Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm
Ignore all contact.

Do not answer unknown numbers.

Report this to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Read page one and follow the advice.

The numbers were most likely spoofed.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#344293 by BeeGees23 Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:17 pm
This happened to me this Tuesday->Wednesday. Met a girl on meetme (app), profile states 18 years. After talking for a bit, she claims that her data usage is going low and wants my number. We start texting and she asks for a face pic, which results in her sending risque pics and keeps claiming shes "freaky". She claims to live in the Fresno area. Finally resorts to sending me nude pictures of her self and asking for some back, reluctantly send some back. And she immediately goes to bed.

Next day I get a text from her father "This is John Warren, xxx father. My wife had to pick up our daughter from school ..." etc etc etc, "My wifes brother is a investigator ...we can talk man to man without going to cops.. call me within 5 minutes".

Numbers used so far by the Father and Daughter (claims to be using her phone) - (559) 468-3303

I proceed to call just to figure out what is going on, my first call goes to a never ending call which I proceed to hang up and then I get a call back (same number as the girls)from a Southern sounding man, whom is her father. Proceeds to just tell me how we can fix it and how I am a good kid and he will talk to his wife to see if we can do this without involving the police. Calls back after a few minutes and tells me I can just pay half of her bill for therapy being done in Ohio and proceeds to send an invoice from the company of SNCS (Sam Nabil Counseling Services) with the total amount of $6700 dollars. He goes on with with humoring me as the form of payment could be with paypal, venmo, square pay etc, but ultimately says him and his wife agree for me to pay on a Walgreens/Cvs to get a Green dot card and load it up and send him the info.

I blocked the number and here I am.
#344294 by Bryon Williams Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:24 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

Stop all contact with everyone involved.

Block their calls or change your number. Do not answer calls from unknown numbers.

Close the account where you met the scammer.

Deactivate your facebook account for two weeks. Also all your other social media accounts. Change your avatars when you reactivate. Do not accept request from people you do not know personally.

Do not tell the scammer why you are stopping. Just ignore calls, text and emails. Eventually he will go away.

Do not pay the bribe.

Read page one of this thread.

Report it to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

#344404 by BeeGees23 Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:11 am
So this seems to be a scam! I guess I just feel it’s a bit different from the others although it maybe be the “new” version?

Is there any other information that would be pertinent to post for others to know just in case?
#344420 by Bryon Williams Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:50 pm
^^^ Your version is like others I read.

On page 1, first post it is clearly explained. Then you can read the other 75 pages.

#344448 by BeeGees23 Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:16 pm
Bryon Williams wrote:^^^ Your version is like others I read.

On page 1, first post it is clearly explained. Then you can read the other 75 pages.

Read through them, if not all of them at this point and you are right, only minor differences.

Update on situation - After blocking the father last night, I have received 0 response back in any form. I also talked to a lawyer on how to proceed and he gave me the advice to stop all contact such as you have stated. Thank you for all your help and this sites help for getting me through this.
#344455 by SSJ9000 Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 pm
I just had this happen to me yesterday and I was freaking out until I read all 76 pages. I’ve done everything that I was told to do on the first page.

Father called saying his daughter needed $5000 for therapy and he would put me on a payment plan. So I found this and blocked his number immediately.
“Daughters” name was Donna and the “father” is Vincent

843 338 0482
Charleston, SC
That’s the number that was used
And I already filed a report
#344495 by Terminator5 Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:48 am
Thanks for posting to Scamwarners and that's good that you already filed a report .

Your post will help warn other potential victims of this Blackmail Scam

Daniel 8 :25
#344985 by jfenner67 Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16 pm
Had a very similar experience. Met 'Anthony' on GDaddy claiming to be 18 who asked for my number as he wasn't a paid member. First pic from him was a nude backside. Not my style and I sent no nudes in return even though he asked for one. Claimed he was deaf and that his daddies had just bought him a car. The conversation ended when he again asked for 'hot' photos and I refused. Next thing I know I'm getting calls from another Ogden UT number claiming he was Mr. Smith and he was an investigator working on behalf of Anthony's parents. Reverse number lookup brought up a dental office. I blocked both numbers. When reviewing blocked voicemails I found a angry message from 'Anthony's' father threatening me with getting at least 10 years in prison.

Did a reverse search of 'Anthony's' number and this site came up. Glad my gut reaction was right :)
#345007 by FirefighterStru Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm
Hi, I have recently had the same experience associated with the 424-200-2383 number mentioned in a previous post. The girls name was Jessic14johnson on Plenty of Fish first name Jessica. Her page said she was 19 and we started talking right away, but she wanted to go to text right away. I had gotten the same messages and everything, including the constant overuse of the word "hun". It freaked me out enough to already give them 500. I don't know what to do and I'm really scared, but I don't want this to turn out to be true. I've talked to her "father" and he agreed to settle on 1400 dollars. So I started the payments right away. I also talked to "Jessica" on the ohone, but she hung up after only a few minutes. She then wanted me to send her nudes. She deleted her account off pof and I stupidly deleted the text convo, so he has all the texts. He won't meet me in person and keeps saying how illegal it is, but he's a god faring man and believes that I'm a good person. He calls me once a day to make sure I'm not going to go back on my word and payments, I'm scheduled to make another payment tonight, but don't have the money yet. What should I do?