Information on romance scams and scammers.
#332283 by throwawayaccount123 Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 am
Terminator5 wrote:They could come back and demand more money . We've certainly heard of cases where they have . You should report this crime on the IC3 Website

is there a way i can report this anonymously. I am not a minor, however, i don't want anyone else finding out this happened
Advertisement

#332285 by Terminator5 Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 am
I have no idea if you can report it anonymously . What I can tell you is that you should report it . If victims don't Report it nothing will be done .

Thx for posting and sharing your experiences on Scamwarners .

Daniel 8 :25
#332290 by Terminator5 Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 am
Thanks . Your post and report will help other victims of this horrific scam .

#332388 by 4upknotkm Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:45 am
Ok so this past week, I received a reply to a message I had sent a young woman on the POF dating app. She asked me for my phone number. That should have been a red flag, but instead I was excited and gave it to her. We talked at little the first night but it was hard to get a lot out of her and she kept saying "Hey" a lot, so I was beginning to think she was a bot. However the next day after a couple false starts, we started talking. She asked for a photo and I gave to. She gave one, and told me I was sexy. I was quite faltered and asked when we could meet. We settled on the next day at a local Starbucks that was actually quite far from her supposed location (30-40 mins). Then she asked me after a little more conversation for nudes, and stupidly I agreed because nobody had ever talked to me that way before. She was not much for conversation after that except for a greeting in the morning. However, that afternoon I got 3 calls, first 2 from her phone, but I could not hear that well, and then from her "father". This number was also hard to hear. He said that he had been shocked at what he had seen I had sent his daughter and we had a rather long conversation about what I was thinking and had meant. However, he then informed me that his "daughter" was underage, and asked if I had know and told me I had to be careful who I interacted with on dating sites. Apparently his "wife" wanted to go straight to the authorities to report me, but he had intervened. So after talking with me and understanding that I was a decent guy with a lot going on for myself as he put it, he got off the phone to talk to his wife and convinced her that if I paid for half of their daughter's therapy session, $2250, his wife would agree to leave the authorities out of it. She was apparently also a past rape victim. He told me she was recognized as partially responsible and was also being punished. It was, in general, hard to hear him on the phone.

So I agreed to the plan and paid the first 400 that day by putting cash on green dot moneypak cards bought at Walgreens. At that point I started to this this was fishy. He was very cryptic about what I was to do until I arrived at Walgreens and then he insisted that I put the money on two cards, although it would have fit on one. I then gave him the pin by phone. The next day he told me put the next 400 on two more cards, but this time for some reason he wanted me to put it on so that one card had 150, and the other card had 250. Again, no explanation.

I should mention that to this point, and since then, we had not exchanged names although I had given my first name to his "daughter". He never called me by it that I can recall, just "sir". I have also not yet spoken on the phone with anyone else but him. We agreed that I would give the rest of the money after a little over a weeks time, perhaps by Western Union, and that after I had done so, he would get to me (somehow) a signed contract clearing me from any future legal trouble about the whole thing. On the whole he was very reluctant (on account of his wife) to ever meet me in person although he apparently would to get me the contract if necessary.

However, that night, I noticed on my OkCupid account for the first time a profile composed of the image the "daughter" had originally sent me of herself, shown below.Image

Moreover, she had changed her location across the State of Maine, and had logged on (now multiple time) that day. It had sounded like to me, that if she had been real, her parents would have tried to restrict her access to further interaction with online dating?

Then by google searching that image, I found that she had had four different locations in ND on the Zoosk dating site all with that same photo. The only location the site actively places her at the moment is Jamestown, although Napoleon, Granville, and Sykeston are all listed in the search results (presumably as past profile locations). Her name had changed there to Brittany in ND. (I leave the other name blank for the moment in case she is real and innocent).

Lastly on the table, both phone numbers father and daughters are listed as from Ohio.
Father: 513-253-8372
Daughter: 304-602-4080

So what are the chances this is a scam meant to lure people into unknowingly sending nudes to an underage girl so that they can be threatened with being reported unless they pay. That there is no daughter, just commandeered photos, and a really smart plot? Or is that less likely and should I just pay and not be that stupid again. (If that is the case, please remove this message for both party's privacy!)
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Merged with existing topic
#332390 by Terminator5 Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:58 am
Scam . Do not pay them anything .

Can you post links to those additional profiles so we can look at them ?

#332391 by 4upknotkm Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:12 am
https://www.okcupid.com/profile/TonyaAd ... atchsearch

https://www.zoosk.com/personals/search? ... =slideshow

Not sure if you can get to them with these links. I think that the google search of image link above shows you the profiles on Zoosk. The POF profile was deleted to my knowledge the night I got the number. There might be more profiles as the OKCupid one does not show up in the google results.

I have screenshots of all the profiles though.
#332408 by Terminator5 Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 am
Thanks, be sure to report this Extortion Scam on the IC3 Website :

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

https://www.okcupid.com/profile/TonyaAd ... atchsearch

TonyaAdamsthecat

19•Bar Mills, United States

My self-summary

Hey guy's just looking to meet cool ppl so if that's you get back at me later

Looking for

single men, within 100 miles, ages 1860, short & long term dating and new friends.

#332489 by 4upknotkm Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Do you still need the screenshots? I think I have a way to put them online and then share them here, but if you found both the OKCupid and Zoosk profiles, then I do not need to.

When filing the report to IC3, do I include everything I did and what happened to me, as well as all my personal information as they request, or am I better of just reporting who the scammer is and what they do. In other words is there anything I am better off not telling them about my incident?
#332492 by Bryon Williams Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:56 pm
Please be advised that we do have scammers here.

Keep all conversations on the forum in public so it can be monitored.

These low post count members are asking victims to contact them off the site.

I suggest not replying to any PM that is not from the Support staff or a long standing member (IE: Years and 1000's of post)

Any Pm could be your scammer trying to get more details from you.

You can report Pm's so we can look at them. Look for the icon upper right to report a PM.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#332572 by 4upknotkm Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm
Apparently the scammer comes back to me a week before originally agreed and tells me that if I just pay a little more, they will forgive the rest. Does anyone think my scammer has caught on that I know?
#332573 by Terminator5 Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:59 pm
Report it . Stop all communication

#332575 by 4upknotkm Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 pm
It is reported on IC3 (they have the profile descriptions, but I forgot to post links!).

I have not replied. I wander if I can block the number somehow....