Information on romance scams and scammers.
Advertisement

#315365 by Jacobs1978793 Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:53 pm
I met this girl on pof the other day her account said she was 18 so she messaged me and asked for a pic and my number so I gave her my number, she texted me about 2 hours later and sent 2 pics and I sent one and then deleted her number right after this morning I get a call from her father claiming to be Eric russel he said I sent pics to his 15 year old daughter and his wife wants to go to the cops but he wants to give me a way out he said I have to pay $200 for her cell phone to be disconnected and if I do t pay he is going to the cops he called me with a Charlestown South Carolina phone number 843-847-7824 he said he is retired military and has connections with police and FBI. I google the name Eric Russel from Charlestown South Carolina and it came up with an obituary of general eric russel that died in November of 2016 I blocked his number and deleted my pof account and facebook account what else can I do?
#315366 by Bryon Williams Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 pm
Screen unknown numbers, let them roll into voice mail. Do not respond to any text. You may have to change your number.

Report the crime to IC3 https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Please read page 1 the first post.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#315376 by Terminator5 Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:38 am
pay $200 for her cell phone to be disconnected and if I do t pay he is going to the cops he called me with a Charlestown South Carolina phone number 843-847-7824 he said he is retired military and has connections with police and FBI.

Ignore their threats and report this Extortion Crime . These cockroaches always make threats like that .

843-847-7824 , 81 pages of Blackmail Scams

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-803-413-4219/2

Daniel 8 :25
#315385 by william5153 Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 pm
Am in a similar situation receiving text message from someone claiming to be the father of a teenage daughter, saying I sent his daughter nude photos the havnt demanded money yet, but he said he would go to the police because her cell phone was confiscated at school for show nude pictures, the website I was on is called Flurv a social Media site, and her is the cockroachs phone number I'm going Monday morning to file a police report 318-209-3985, the so called Father says hes going to the sheriff office in a few and would see me in court I think this is a scam I havnt responded to any text should I change my phone number
#315386 by Terminator5 Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:14 pm
Scam . It's definitely a good idea to change your phone number and be sure to file a police report.

#315414 by rtx44 Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:21 am
I have another report, looks like the same scammer. OKCupid username is LayySoHot74 claiming to be from KY (phone number matches area code for location on profile). Profile says she is 18 and only wants to talk to men 24 and up (I've seen this mentioned before). Quickly switched to text messaging and sending risque pics of herself and asked for some as well. Would continuously get mad at me for not sending a pic and threatening to stop talking to me if I did not. Foolishly sent pictures to her. mentioned she was 16 and turning 17 next month but not to worry about it. Talked normally for the rest of the evening until she said she was going to a club.

Had not heard back until today about 3:30 pm, got a phone call from her number 270-238-8156 and it was a man, sounded like a black man, stating that his daughter came home wasted from the club last night and got into a fight with her mom. states they took her phone from her and found our texts. Demanded to know why I am sexting with his underage daughter. He stated that she was currently in the hospital because she tried to kill herself after having the fight with her mom. He said he was wanting to let me have a chance to man up and give him my side of the story. After I apologized he said he had to talk to his wife, because he wanted to just let it go but she was mad. He told me he would call back in five minutes and if I didn't answer they would go to the police.

He called back and said his wife demanded we get help paying for their daughters medical bills, and also demanded that I help pay to have her phone and internet shut off, total he wanted was about 1,700 I believe. I told him I couldn't pay that all today and he said well you're going to have to do something or else I'll have to go to the police. I told him I could western union him $100 today and work on paying more later, and he was unsure of this since he did not want to give out his information to me. Then he told me western union is fine, but he wasn't giving me his info, and to send it to his friend Carrie Green in South Carolina.

At the time I was panicked and scared and I fell for this, one reason was because she had been online Okcupid almost all day yesterday but none at all today, which made sense if she was in the hospital. I sent the $100 through western union. He told me that he wasn't deleting any of the texts until I had the full amount paid, and he also told me he demands that I call or text him every day to check in, just to make sure everything is still ok. And the first time I don't check in he is going to the police.

I feel so stupid having fell for this. But immediately after I was off the phone with him I was googling regarding being blackmailed or extorted and ran across this thread. After I read all of the stories here and seeing that my story is nearly identical in every way (profile wants men age 24+ only, daughter in hospital, need money to shut off phone and pay Dr bills, payment sent to South Carolina, call to check in daily), I am very relieved that this is a scam and I have blocked the number and will be screening any unknown numbers for a little while.
#315421 by Terminator5 Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:32 am
Scam . Can you please post a link to the ok cupid profile . Sometimes we can identify additional fake profiles from the fake contents .

#315423 by Terminator5 Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:53 am
Thanks . The wording on that profile does not appear to be written by anyone from the USA . Or anyone that is literate .We're glad you recognized this as a scam . Please make a report on the IC3 website .

"At everything I do lol you can find out if you want ".

#315424 by Terminator5 Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 am
You can report this Over Age Profile { Fake Under Age Profile Here }

[email protected]

Ok Cupid Terms of Service :

Adult users only

This Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age. If you are under 18, you are not authorized to use this Website and will not be afforded access to any features of this Website that allow for you to provide information to us or to share information with other users of this Website.

#315467 by mk_90vs Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:19 pm
First off - thank you for the information on this site - reading people's posts has been a relief... this is my story.

I recently joined POF and met a girl on there, profile by name of LoriAZ14 (it may have been 17 - I can't recall) Her age was listed as 20. I've since deleted my account. I contacted her we chatted briefly she asked me to text her instead, she gave me her number - I live in AZ her profile stated she lived in Mesa, AZ yet her number was from North Carolina. I noticed a lot of the scams on here showing originating phone numbers from the South Carolina area and some NC. The number she provided was similar if not the same as "910-305-6293" (the one Dirt got contacted with) - least to say a "910" area code. I text her and exchange a few words - nothing sexual; then, unrequested she sends me an image of her private area. I'll admit I thought "well that escalated quickly" - initially I just chalked it up to whatever - and I replied - "she" asked for a naked for photo of me. Against my better judgement I sent "her" one. She stops responding. Hours go by. I get no reply from her and eventually just give up on that and move on passing it up as un-satisfaction with me. At the end of the day I get a grammatically incorrect somewhat illiterate and for all I know it was texted in haste but - , this is what it was texted from her "father" saying "I am lori father my daughter is 15 what do you think you are doing? we know who you are and where you are. my wife has contacted the investigator. You can call me now and explain it to me like a man or you can talk to the investigator your choice." something to that effect. I'm trying hard to do this from memory because following this I was so disgusted that I changed my number and threw away my phone. I replied "Listen I don't know what kind of scam this is or what you're trying to pull but I don't believe this" or something like that. Then they said "we are going to the law" Then I wrote "You need to be 18 to even agree to the POF terms & conditions to use the site - I don't feel that this is real if it were I feel I'd be getting a call from you not texts" then they stopped texting me. I then went back to POF checked the profile of "Lori" and it had already started to be changed - Her photos were gone, profile about me wasn't there just basic locale info. - This whole thing's been gut wrenching around Christmas...
#315470 by Terminator5 Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:36 pm
This is a scam . Don't pay them any money . Report this Extortion Scam on the IC3 website :

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

#315471 by mk_90vs Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:41 pm
Terminator5 wrote:This is a scam . Don't pay them any money . Report this Extortion Scam on the IC3 website :

https://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx

Terminator5, You have no idea how much reading that is a load-off. I had no idea until reading this website and the FBI's .gov site's briefings on sextortion that it's become a nation-spread issue apparently and it's abused over dating apps. Esp the Free ones. I did notify this "person" / people whoever they are I was reporting their fake profile to POF during my exchange - will see if I can recover / still have anything concrete enough to submit to IC3 as well. Really, thank you.. & a serious life lesson learned.
#315479 by Bryon Williams Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:21 pm
I had no idea until reading this website and the FBI's .gov site's briefings on sextortion that it's become a nation-spread issue apparently

:D :oh-joy:

http://www.pof.com/terms.aspx

ELIGIBILITY
You must be 18 years of age or older to visit or use this Website or the Services in any manner. By visiting the Website or accepting these Terms of Use, You represent and warrant to Plentyoffish that You: (i) are 18 years of age or older, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by the Agreement; (ii) will use the Website in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations; and (iii) have not been convicted of any felony and are not required to register as a sex offender with any government authority.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/