Information on romance scams and scammers.
#287510 by Stephanie Louw Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:54 am
Hi there,

I am very concerned about my morther in law... She is chatting to a guy from England on facebook day in and day out.... I see warning signs but she just dont see anything. Can you please help me if this persons profile seem to be legit?

Name: Clifton Wheaterspoon

http://Www.facebook.com/clifton.weatherspoon.7

Really hope you can help thanks alot
Advertisement

#287518 by AlanJones Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:15 am
The profile shows very little information to non-friends, so it is difficult to tell. What are the warning signs that you are seeing?

Would you also be able to get hold of examples of the emails that he has sent, information about his background (I see his profile picture is of "him" and a little girl - is he widowed?)

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#287522 by Stephanie Louw Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:47 am
I have not seen any conversations as they chat to each other on facebook messenger.

After I warned her about the fake people she is not telling me anything except that he is 2 hours before us so he should be in England as he said...

I dont know if he says he has been widowed. She is widowed and all her info is open on fb.

I wish I could get more info on him. But I will try.
#287523 by AlanJones Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 am
He may well be in the same timezone as the UK, but that does not mean that he is actually there. He could be in one of the West African countries that is on GMT time. Or he could be somewhere totally different and be sophisticated enough to have his time set to UK time to appear to be there.

If their "relationship" follows a normal scam course then he will be declaring his love for her and referring to her as his wife, even though they have never met. He will very likely soon have some sort of emergency (perhaps after travelling overseas) that will need money or he will suggest that your mother sends money or buys gifts for his daughter.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#287541 by malu53 Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:17 am
100% scammer, your gut feeling was correct
pics are stolen from Kent Guy
Director of Promotions & New Media - Corus Radio London | Woodstock.
London, Ontario, Canada

the cropped pic (cover photo) is stolen from Kent Guy's twitter account
twitter.com/kentguy
the other with the little girl can be found on Kent Guy's FB

there is a 2nd profile with the identical pics on FB
facebook.com/clifton.weatherspoon.1
except for the name no further Information
#287785 by Stephanie Louw Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:07 am
Clifton send a picture of his passport to prove that he is 'legit' is there any next steps we can do to see where this Clifton is from? Because she is awaiting a package from him, he knows her address too?? And still after this prove it seems like she believe him...
#287789 by malu53 Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 am
can you post a copy of his passport here?
and what's his email address?

didn't you tell your in-law that the pics are stolen and who the real person is?
she shouldn't accept the package/box!

he knows her address too
Return to sender, address unknown ---- would bbe the easiest way to make him hink the address was a fake one!