Information on romance scams and scammers.
#48147 by red_dog_aust Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 am
Milatary Scams

I got stung enough to hurt,,,,but not enough to sell my soul...i was lucky a friend looked up internet scams...

Watch out for sad stories.....
Watch out for Bad Spelling.....
Ask there time zone then google it...
Ask whats the weather there is it cold or hot...then google it.....the answer will not be forth right
Watch out for both parents dead.....
They join dating sites...looking for someone who is lonely....

PM me if your unsure ......i'll give you some questions to ask them

I feel like the dumbest person ever,,,but i had the warning bells sounded out by a friend....HE WAS RIGHT

Good Luck everyone,,,trust no one...on the NET
Advertisement

#48149 by Chris Fuller Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 am
Hello red_dog and welcome to ScamWarners. I'm sorry to hear that you got involved with a scammer, but glad that you realised it was a scam before it went any further.

I've removed your email address from your post, to maintain your privacy, and also to keep it out of sight of any passing spammers or scammers. If anyone would like to communicate with you, it is better if they use the PM button to the right of your post - I've changed the wording in your post to reflect this.

It is always best to drop all contact with a scammer immediately one realises that they are not genuine. Some scammers are very good at providing quick answers to questions, inventing information, or just changing the subject, and all scammers will continue to tell lies.
#51056 by asingingdiva Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 am
WARNING!:

Here's what I'm convinced is a scam email I've received recently from (Capt. Williams Valdez) who I met on Tagged.com. He hasn't asked for the money just yet, but wanted me to contact: usarmysignals@adn about a satellite phone link up so I can call him in Kosovo. He claims the internet connection is so bad that it is hard to keep communicating with him that way and can't wait to hear my voice. Today he IM'd me to let me know it would cost me "Something like 439bucks". I replied "Whoa!", in which he replied "Is that much for high tension cable satellite phone n connection n calling fees ...nope isnt it is highly subsidies.

Here is the reply email from this so called site:

Thank you for the Inquiry, our service is to provide phoning and Satellite facilities for civilian and Military Personnel.

TS2 awarded a contract for the supply of 150 satellite phones to the military troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and the rest of the world. The equipment is intended to secure communication in the event of emergency and the phones will be provided to troops and consuls across the world. Diplomats frequently visit regions where no conventional mobile and Internet telecommunication system is available. Now they can use satellite connections ensuring global coverage and safety.

The satellite telephony and Internet system is aimed to secure mobile and Internet communication between the head office and overseas sites of the ministry in critical or emergency situations such as: evacuation of the site, natural disasters, breakdowns, communications with Family and Friends,local overload of terrestrial communication systems. They are fully reliable, because, unlike mobile phones, they do not require terrestrial cell sites which are not installable in some areas, and which can be destroyed by natural disasters, sabotage or war actions.

The satellite handset,and Internet selected as a result of tender procedure, is designed to work in just about any conditions – in rain storms, dust storms, searing heat to sub-zero cold, tropical humidity or freezing fog. The phone operates at -20°C to +55°C and transfers voice and data over global geostationary satellites that will be operational into the 2020s. Dust, splash and shock resistant (IP54), humidity tolerance from 0% to 95%.

Ts2 is the leading provider of domestic and global satellite access services. It has been providing its services amongst others, to: the U.S. Department of State, the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland, United States Marine Corps (USMC), and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
We would need the above information provided so we can commence the Registering of your husband's Sat Phone.

YOUR INFORMATION:
- FULL NAME:
- HOME ADDRESS:
- PHONE NUMBER:
- PHONE SERVICE PROVIDER:

MILITARY PERSONNEL INFORMATION:
-NAME:
-LOCATION ( COUNTRY WHERE HE/SHE NEEDS THE SERVICE):

Once you provide us with the above information you are no longer anonymous to us.(We) protect your privacy. We do not insist you to provide extra personal information than necessary.All information collected will not be used for any illegal activity.The information is what we are going to use to register you with our service..
Yours Faithfully,
Bash Andrew.
#51530 by TrueKarma Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:51 pm
I just had a guy try to Scam me from a dating site .. he was blocked from the dating site and tried to have me as his next victom.. but low and behold I know the military better than he thought I did .. so the scam back fired he will post pictures that are of someone and give you everything you want to hear... it is a good way to bait women I have to say he is good but ... I looked for the red flags ... 1. no man will tell you he is in love with you in a few days EVER!!! .. 2, No man who makes money and is fighting in our country raised in the USA would ask a woman for money , a phone, or to help him ... Men have Pride and military Men are the worst with pride and helping a damsel in distress... every rule was broken and that s how I got smart and was not scamed.. I have to also say this Site had Great information for me .. so thank you !! that you for all the post ...
I was coned for two days by a man who said he was Col . Wane hunter.. but than he send me a picture of him self in cloths that say Thompson LOL .. like women do read the name on clothing .. well this man had great things to say .. the first thing that jumped in my head was is this for real... and that is when I should of known ...
so beware of a <[email protected]> says he is in Afghanistan says he is a pilot for the ARMY ..
he is a lier.. he goes on date sites and was on Datehookup.com they band him ....

okay hope I was of some help for info here...
#51590 by morgaine Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:44 am
Hi,
I am still a little uncomfortable writing everything down, because I am not sure the person involved is in fact a scammer? But then again, why am I here right?
He didn't asked me for money yet, he gave me an address and then I got suspicious. I know he knows about these scamwarning forums, and you can bet they are looking for any info we will give them to make their scams look even more believable.
I am let's say European (western) and have a lot of pictures, 2 addresses and mails from this person. I am affraid to make it public here though because we have been chatting with eachother now for 4 months already and stupid me, he knows my address, phone-number, and even has familypictures. I also send money through Western Union USD 500 to be exact for a liberty pass card?
I need to talk to someone who can find out where the real person in pictures is. I can't find any other mistake he supposed to make as a scammer, either he is very smart or knows a lot about the person on picture.
I need help fast. I am a mess, psychologically and physically. He got me so far now, that I am waiting for him to come online every minute of the day actually.
My loved ones are suffering because of it too. Is there any way I can do this anonymously, leaving his pictures without showing them, to find out who I am dealing with? And to warn the person on pictures? He really is in US army, that I know for sure. I send mail to CID but don't get any answers from them. Please help? I don't know what to do anymore.
Last edited by morgaine on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
#51593 by morgaine Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am
hi,
I forgot to mention that I know the person on these pictures is in the US army, and the person who is using those pics uses the same name. I also had to sign a paper for request for leave approval?
His English is perfect, and he's not asking me for sattelite phones or anything like that.
Knows the timedifferences perfectly and is very aware what is going on in the army.
I am in it so deep, I need your help.
#51599 by Dotti Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 pm
Welcome Morgaine,

I'm sorry to have to be harsh, but there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that you are dealing with a scammer. I know it doesn't look to you like he has made any mistakes, but the truth is he has made plenty just based on what you have written--he has pulled you completely into the fake military world of the scammer, which is nothing like the real US military.

There is NO policy in the US military in which you, a civilian, would sign any forms or papers for a soldier's leave, period. The US military does NOT require payment for "liberty passes" and they do NOT perform any transactions by Western Union or Moneygram. The whole pay-for leave "process" was invented by the imagination of scammers.

The real leave policy for soldiers is very straightforward. Soldiers request their own leave. They do it within the military, and who they are visiting has nothing to do with whether leave is granted. The person or people who are being visited have absolutely NO part in the leave process. Leave is like vacation from a regular job--they are entitled to a certain amount after a certain amount of service. They cannot buy more, and they can only take it when their superiors agree the timing is appropriate.

The person in the pictures you were sent is in the US military. Unfortunately, the person who is writing to you is not the person in the photos. He simply took some photos off the internet and claimed they were photos of him.

If you forward his emails (and the emails you received related to him from "military officials") and photos to me at the address in my signature line, I can post his information under my name without any connection to you. The truth is, he has probably already used the exact same script on dozens of women, and others may be in the midst of being scammed right now. I can probably point out many of the other signs that show he is a scammer, too.

The most important thing to do right now is IMMEDIATELY cut off all contact with him. Block him from your messenger. Don't answer emails from him or anyone else connected to him.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.
#51605 by morgaine Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm
Hi Dotti,

I have send you some url codes through your private mail. I hope you received them?
If you didn't please let me know i will do it again, it needs to be private, he knows so much about me.
Thank you in advance.
#51625 by Dotti Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm
Morgain,

I have not received anything. If you copied and pasted the address, please make sure you remove the spaces (which are there to prevent spam bots from picking up the address) before sending.

#51627 by morgaine Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:25 pm
sorry Dotti I will try again, this is the first time I am sending something to your private message address, please do not publicate the pictures. I will try again now.
#51631 by morgaine Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:40 pm
Hi Dotti,
I hope you received everything so far and that you can do something with it.
I took a big risk sending it to you because he knows so much about me and it actually hurts doing this.
Because all this time I was looking at the man on picture, being worried about him, I still am, I can't have closure untill I know that man is fine and that I saved his identity. It's been a 4 month old 'relationship', I feel so empty and betrayed, heartbroken even. My only cumfort now is to know the real man is fine and knows about this secretely hoping he will contact me? So I can rest asure.
To all women and men outthere? They are so good in what they're doing, and if you're not carefull you will end up heartbroken and still worried about the identity of the person they have been using.
Be carefull.
#52830 by futurewife1958 Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 am
Hi there.

I am Pia and Danish met this ”guy” in a danish dating site. He told me, he was American soldier in Afghanistan been there for 8 month now on a peace mission, senior sergeant major, 52 years old – he gave me his rank number too - seems SO handsome, nice and sweet, sending me a lot of very sweet and romantic emails. We even saw each other on video webcam via messenger – and it seems like, he WAS him on the picture. Soon I was in all his sweet words and believed him when he said he loved me.. thinking of me all the time misses me when we were not chatting and so… I just believed him, and felt I was really in love with this guy. We exchange photos so I have a lot of photos of him – both in the Afghanistan, with the other soldiers and alone – and from his home in Raleigh, Carolina. His name is (not real I guess) Johan Caswell. We have been chatting about 1 hour every day and every day there was this wonderful email about me being the sunshine of his life, he had never met a woman like me, we were soulmates, he even asked if I want to get married again, because he wants me. I was his angel, his love. He called me his future wife. I felt so happy. From the beginning he said he would be leaving in a few weeks time and then he would come to Denmark. Last year – he told me – he had been in Copenhagen looking for houses because he wants to start a new life. He got divorced 5 years ago and lost his 16 year old son the same year in a car accident…
One day when we said there chatting he just claimed: OMG.. I asked him what was wrong and he said he just got a message from this diplomatic guy who did take care of his very personal belongings - this guy had taken this “package” out of Afghanistan and should take it safely to the USA via Asia or Africa. This guy sent him this “message” via Radio message, my guy should call him immediately - "Johan" was very very worried and begged me to call this diplomatic guy because he could not call international from there. He gave me a number and I called - this other guy said that there was problems with the diplomatic stamps –My guy had not renewed them so the custum – in - Ghana -where he was standing needed 6200 dollars for that. I wrote back to "Johan" and he again said: OMG…. Can you help me sweetie, my darling. I will pay you back with interests –you know I love you so much and I have so many plans for you and I when I come to Denmark but right now I just desperately need you help my love. I have a lot of money and very important documents in that package. I was chocked and said no, I did not have so much money and I got suspicious.. have heard so much of this –he begged me for several times and even though I was in tears and felt like my heart was broken I said no. He logged of messenger with a lot of crying smileys…

After that I did not expect to hear from him anymore – my heart was broken and I just could not believe all that his words were not true. I sent him an email where I told him what I meant about him – I was really nasty I can tell you that – suddenly after one week he came back and wrote that he could not understand why I wrote all those bad words about him. After he left me a week earlier he was involved in a car accident and I should be happy he was still alive… :cry:

Since that we have still been writing and chatting and it is now nearly 2 month since he wrote to me the first time – he is still claiming his love for me , and that he would never lie to me and never had, he is longing for me , can’t wait to see me, kiss me and holding me in his arms – in the beginning I started to believe him again – I believed that the feelings he had for me was at least true – Every time now when he talked about this package who is still at Ghana International airport, custums, then I keep him going telling him that I would try to ask my bank, and when they said no, I said I have this friend who maybe want so help me – so he is still there - in my mailbox and on messenger.

I have tried to search for the name on Google, have even tried on Yellow pages in the States but there is no person with that name. I still have the phone number to the guy I was calling –checked it out, and it was from Ghana – a cell phone number –I still have a lot of pictures too – maybe someone can tell me where I can try to search for information ? Or can any of you guys help me. I am really new to this and wished it had never happened. I really felt I was in love with this guy. His face his eyes – it all seems so sincere, so nice , so trustful looking at… And even though I will never send him money – A little part of him wants to believe that al least his feelings for me were/are true – even though I know it is only me who is stupid here – and very sensitive unfortunately :cry:
#52838 by Dotti Sun May 08, 2011 9:09 am
Welcome FW,

I'm sorry to hear you were scammed. There are some links in my signature line--I would recommend reading the info for victims. Please do post all details about this scammer--email addresses, phone numbers, and some of his letters, which are scripts that they will reuse on other victims.

To the scammer, you are nothing more than a means to an end. He sounds sincere and romantic because he has lots of practice at pretending to be both, and most of his words will be copied (or paraphrased) from romance websites like lovingyou.com . He came back after a week, not because he cares, but because he still believed he could get money from you--he would just wait until you were fully hooked to start asking for money again. As difficult as it is, the best thing you can do for yourself is to make a clean break.