Information on romance scams and scammers.
#295698 by dartg Sat May 21, 2016 4:49 am
I recently met Captain David Farmer (Green Beret) deployed in Syria on Ok Cupid. We have been chatting for a week. I told him it is my 50th birthday next month and i wish he could be here (I'm not American or in America). He has since told me that there is a chance that he can come, but I have to send an email to [email protected] requesting leave for him. He said I should get a reply from them within 24 hours (even though it is the weekend). If they grant him leave, then I will have to pay for his flight because he can't access his money while on tour, but he will pay me back when he gets here. He said the plane ticket will cost about US$2345. We communicate through Hangout on gmail, his account name is [email protected]. I think this is a scam, but would like some confirmation if possible. I have read the other responses here and would appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks
Advertisement

#295699 by tinker Sat May 21, 2016 5:26 am
I'm sorry you met this dirtbag, but I'm glad you searched before you lost anymore time or any money.

Definitely a scam. This is not a military address and friends/family do not have to ask for a military person to get leave. Military personnel have access to their funds at all times. This is a common and well recognized scam tactic.

Your best response is to block him on OkCupid and other social media. If he has your phone number, block him or don't take his calls. Just cut off all contact.
#295700 by dartg Sat May 21, 2016 5:32 am
Just to add to my previous post, his Ok Cupid id is onesteptohappy. No need to reply, I'm convinced it's all a scam. I have blocked him and not told him that I have posted his details here. Thanks for this fantastic site, u saved me time, money and heart ache.
#295731 by legionlady14 Sat May 21, 2016 8:37 pm
Military personnel request their own leave. If they have enough leave built up, they can take it. No one in the military has to pay to take leave. If they want to travel and not take commercial, they can hop a military flight. They also can fly commercial at a reduced rate. Most officers make enough money so they can meet their expenses. I was in the military so I know
#296013 by dartg Tue May 24, 2016 10:32 am
Just received another email from this guy saying that he saw what I wrote about him on this website and calling me a fool. Guess the scammers check this site out too, so beware they are going to take the information they learn here to improve their dirty tricks. Wish they would put as much time and effort into doing an honest job instead of lying and cheating and hurting people just trying to find love and friendship. I hope that one day all the pain they have inflicted on the innocent comes back to them because they deserve it.