Information on romance scams and scammers.
#302456 by Jen27 Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 pm
Hi.. Well I've been talking to someone and it all started through facebook a few months back.. We recently started texting about two months ago.. He said his name was David White and he was stationed in Afghanistan that he was 44 and has a son who lives with his grandma.. He would send me pictures but from the looks of it they weren't recent and every time I would ask for one he would tell me that he couldn't.. So about a month ago he said he would be coming home and that he needed his things to be delivered to my house so as our friendship grew so did my feelings for him.. Someone that I've never seen.. So I contacted his Sargent through email because he said he had his belongings and he emailed me back to contact a certain link so I did and I paid for his things to be delivered.. Now I did an investigation of my own because I was curious and I found out another account on facebook with a different name and everything.. What I found took me by surprise it said his name was David Ramos and was engaged.. His picture even showed up on a scam page.. So I confronted him about it ..then he said his name was David Ramos and he said that his account was hacked a while back and that the man I've been talking to is the one from the pictures.. And honestly I don't know what to do..
Advertisement

#302458 by Bryon Williams Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:03 pm
It is a scam.

The scammer will always lie if you confront him. In real life a wife, children, parents or internet girlfriend will never have contact with his chain of command.

Anything he had with him stationed overseas would be flown home free of charge and stored for him free of charge. There is no need for a stranger to receive or pay for this.

Please post his email address. Also post the fake Sgt's. name and email address.

You are not confused. You found the facts. The scammer is a lying thief.

Stop all contact with the scammer. Do not reply to any calls or anything he sends.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#302460 by Bryon Williams Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 pm
Only West African scammers believe that US military members must pay for their items to be shipped home and pay for storage.

Military members do not pay for leave. They earn free leave each year. Also only the member can request leave through his chain of command. His wife, mother, children nor internet girlfriend can do this. Also they would never have contact with his chain of command.

Military members have access to their money. They also do not pay for phones, internet or medical.

Military provides all meals.

Please stop all contact with the scammer. If you confront him he will continue to lie.

Post his fake name, rank and email address. This will help other women avoid his scam.

This is a warning from the Army about this scam.
http://www.army.mil/article/130861/Army ... nce_scams/

QUANTICO, Va. (July 30, 2014) -- Special Agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, commonly known as CID, are once again warning internet users worldwide about cyber criminals involved in an online crime that CID has dubbed "the Romance Scam."

CID special agents continue to receive numerous reports from victims located around the world regarding various scams of persons impersonating U.S. Soldiers online. Victims are usually unsuspecting women, 30 to 55 years old, who believe they are romantically involved with an American Soldier, yet are being exploited and ultimately robbed, by perpetrators who strike from thousands of miles away.

"We cannot stress enough that people need to stop sending money to persons they meet on the internet and claim to be in the U.S. military," said Chris Grey, Army CID's spokesman.

"It is very troubling to hear these stories over and over again of people who have sent thousands of dollars to someone they have never met and sometimes have never even spoken to on the phone," Grey said.

The majority of the "romance scams," are being perpetrated on social media and dating-type websites where unsuspecting females are the main target.

The criminals are pretending to be U.S. servicemen, routinely serving in a combat zone. The perpetrators will often take the true rank and name of a U.S. Soldier who is honorably serving his country somewhere in the world, or has previously served and been honorably discharged, then marry that up with some photographs of a Soldier off the internet, and then build a false identity to begin prowling the internet for victims.

The scams often involve carefully worded romantic requests for money from the victim to purchase special laptop computers, international telephones, military leave papers, and transportation fees to be used by the fictitious "deployed Soldier" so their false relationship can continue. The scams include asking the victim to send money, often thousands of dollars at a time, to a third party address.

Once victims are hooked, the criminals continue their ruse.

"We've even seen instances where the perpetrators are asking the victims for money to purchase "leave papers" from the Army, help pay for medical expenses from combat wounds or help pay for their flight home so they can leave the war zone," said Grey.

These scams are outright theft and are a grave misrepresentation of the U.S. Army and the tremendous amount of support programs and mechanisms that exist for Soldiers today, especially those serving overseas, said Grey.

Along with the romance-type scams, CID has been receiving complaints from citizens worldwide that they have been the victims of other types of scams -- once again where a cyber crook is impersonating a U.S. service member. One version usually involves the sale of a vehicle; where the service member claims to be living overseas and has to quickly sell their vehicle because they are being sent to another duty station. After sending bogus information regarding the vehicle, the seller requests the buyer do a wire transfer to a third party to complete the purchase. When in reality, the entire exchange is a ruse for the crook to get the wire transfer and leave the buyer high and dry, with no vehicle.

Army CID continues to warn people to be very suspicious if they begin a relationship on the internet with someone claiming to be an American Soldier and within a matter of weeks, the alleged Soldier is asking for money, as well as discussing marriage.

The majority of these scams have a distinct pattern to them, explained Grey.

The perpetrators often tell the victims that their units do not have telephones or they are not allowed to make calls or they need money to "help keep the Army internet running." They often say they are widowers and raising a young child on their own to pull on the heartstrings of their victims.

"We've even seen where the criminals said that the Army won't allow the Soldier to access their personal bank accounts or credit cards," said Grey.

All lies, according to CID officials.

"These perpetrators, often from other countries, most notably from West African countries, are good at what they do and quite familiar with American culture, but the claims about the Army and its regulations are ridiculous," said Grey.

The Army reports that numerous very senior officers and enlisted Soldiers throughout the Army have had their identities stolen to be used in these scams.

To date, there have been no reports to Army CID indicating any U.S. service members have suffered any financial loss as a result of these attacks. Photographs and actual names of U.S. service members have been the only thing utilized. On the contrary, the victims have lost thousands.

One victim revealed that she had sent more than $60,000 to the scammer. Another victim from Great Britain told CID officials that over the course of a year, she had sent more than $75,000 to the con artists.

"The criminals are preying on the emotions and patriotism of their victims," added Grey.

The U.S. has established numerous task force organizations to deal with this and other growing issues; unfortunately, the people committing these scams are using untraceable email addresses on Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc., routing accounts through numerous locations around the world, and utilizing pay-per-hour Internet cyber cafes, which often times maintain no accountability of use. The ability of law enforcement to identify these perpetrators is very limited, so individuals must stay on the alert and be personally responsible to protect themselves.

"Another critical issue is we don't want victims who do not report this crime walking away and thinking that a U.S. serviceman has ripped them off when in fact that serviceman is honorably serving his country and often not even aware that his pictures or identity have been stolen," said Grey.

What to look for:

DON'T EVER SEND MONEY! Be extremely suspicious if you are asked for money for transportation costs, communication fees or marriage processing and medical fees.

Carefully check out the stories you are being told. If it sounds suspicious, there is a reason, it's routinely false -- trust your instincts.

If you do start an internet-based relationship with someone, check them out, research what they are telling you with someone who would know, such as a current or former service member.

Be very suspicious if you never get to actually speak with the person on the phone or are told you cannot write or receive letters in the mail. Servicemen and women serving overseas will often have an APO or FPO mailing address. Internet or not, service members always appreciate a letter in the mail.

Military members have an email address that end in ".mil." If the person you are speaking with cannot sent you at least one email from a ".mil" (that will be the very LAST part of the address and nothing after), then there is a high probability they are not in the military.

Many of the negative claims made about the military and the supposed lack of support and services provided to troops overseas are far from reality -- check the facts.

Be very suspicious if you are asked to send money or ship property to a third party or company. Often times the company exists, but has no idea or is not a part of the scam.

Be aware of common spelling, grammatical or language errors in the emails.

Be cognizant of foreign and regional accents that do not match the person's story.

WHERE TO GO FOR HELP

Report the theft to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (FBI-NW3C Partnership) at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.

Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov/idtheft.

Your report helps law enforcement officials across the United States in their investigations.

Report the theft by phone at 1-877-ID-THEFT (438-4338) or TTY, 1-866-653-4261.

Report the theft by mail at the following address:

Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
Washington, DC 20580

Report the fraud by email to the Federal Trade Commission on Nigerian Scams via at [email protected].

For more information on CID, visit http://www.cid.army.mil.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#302471 by Jen27 Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:23 am
This is the email he gave [email protected]
This is the number this person has been contacting me with.. (605)622 0746

And his Sargent
Name : Louis Wilberforce [email protected]

This is the information that I received through email.. To get his things delivered to my house..
RAPID DESPATCH LOGISTICS LIMITED
424 PORTSWOOD ROAD
SOUTHAMPTON,
HANTS SO17 3SD
United [email protected]

I'm just in shock..
I did my research on the 5 pictures that I have of him and two of them came out on the RomanceScam page.. I'm just really upset.. I actually did fall for this person and I sent $512.00 ..

Who ever this person is they wanted me to pay $1075.00 to get his things delivered to me..
#302472 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:34 am
Thank you. I am sorry you are a victim of this scam.

You can post the photos here so others can find them next time. Just mark them as stolen. Do not post any children or blot out their faces.

Please also post a couple of his initial emails to you minus your personal information. Scammers often use the same script. this will also help other women avoid him.

This phone number can call/receive/text anywhere in the world with internet access.
(605) 622-0746
6056220746 is a VoIP number provided by Google Voice

#302474 by Jen27 Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:54 am
This is the information that was on that courier service..
Payment should be made via Walmart Ria Service in the name of our Sole Financial secretary in the United states,

Receivers Name: Debra Hall
City: Duluth
Zip code : 55806
State : MINNESOTA
#302475 by Bryon Williams Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:58 am
This person is also a victim of the scammer. She believes she has an online job or believes she is accepting money for fake military man.

#302494 by Jen27 Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:50 am
Oh my gosh.. And to think that I was going to send the entire amount that this person was asking for.. I only sent half because literally that's all I had.
#302508 by Smith Jones Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:51 pm
Hi Jen27. I'm so glad you came here to scamwarners before you sent any more money. No matter what happens and what we choose to believe, and these scammers make it very convincing, part of us has this feeling something is wrong and we have to check it out. Same thing happened to me and it was very hard dealing with it. We don't go online and start talking to something expecting to find out they are not who they say they are. And this is a classic, the scammers can prey on a lack of knowledge of what happens in the military and who doesn't want to love a hero?
It will take some time to heal and recover from the shock of it all. Take your time and understand, if you have any doubts, yes, this truly is a scammer you fell for. No, you are not dumb, you just followed your heart and not your head. And yes, if you stay away from him (he will lie and invent how this isn't the truth), you will heal and put this behind you. The money cannot be recovered but you will be smarter and stronger as you go on.
#357664 by RachelleL Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 pm
Mod Note: Be wary of posters with low post counts or recent membership contacting you by PM and trying to get you off of the forum. Please use the Report the PM button report any such contact.

Hello-

I have been experiencing the exact same thing. It's only been going on for a few days though. He says that he is stationed in West Africa and will be there for two years. All of the pictures he sends of himself I can hardly see his face. I have not sent any money and I don't plan on it. But, I don't like people that take advantage of people.

Is there anyway that you can share a picture with me privately?

Kindest regards,
-Rachelle
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#357665 by AlanJones Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:52 pm
There is no need for people to contact you privately - here's an idea, why don't you post the photos and details of your scammer here for other victims to find.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.
#357666 by Bryon Williams Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:54 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners,

There is no need for a picture.

Who ever you are in contact with is a scammer.

You can post his fake name, emails, email address, phone numbers and anything else you have to warn others.

Remove your personal information from the emails he sent prior to submitting.

Do not post the emails you sent.