Information on romance scams and scammers.
#303039 by NoMagaHere Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:59 am
Connected with scammer on eHarmony June 2016
Name: Burdell, Dan or Daniel
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Phone: 1-604-670-9220 (now claims "rascals" took his phone)
16046709220, +1 (604) 670-9220
(apparently just a "TextNow" number and not a phone at all)

Origin: Sweden, California, Toronto, Vancouver [Abbotsford, BC] Canada
Marital Status: Divorced, no children
Education: Masters MIT
Currently: Working In Istanbul, Turkey (1 month delayed trip home)

Suddenly called out of town the day before our first date in Vancouver. Thereafter soon travelled to Istanbul, Turkey to install two MRIs. Before he "left", he made dramatic plea to not go if it meant losing me. Once there, asked me (told me) to get him a iTunes card--stupid me did it, but paid cash. The political trouble in Turkey at the time made his story a bit more credible, e.g., barred from his bank suddenly. Then he said one MRI was damaged in transport and he was very frustrated getting parts and funding due to the polititcal chaos. After a few days of him struggling to get funds from colleagues, he asked me for $12,000 to help pay for damaged parts, but not willing to provide me with proper documentation or detail about anything. Even wanted me to send it the a third party (his "tech guy"). I gave him NO money.

"Dan Burdell" was very convincingly romantic in 600+ text messages, sending music to listen to and cute black and white photos of old people holding hands and walking together, and encouraging my complete openness. I think he employs light hypnosis, control (morning and evening checkins), and over-the-top romance, "It was meant that we crossed paths at exactly this point in our lives...I like to think that we were getting prepared for each other."

He only ever sent two photos, and both head shots taken at different times. Heavy beard and glasses, so really non-descript. Hundreds of scam/fraud red flags, but seemed credible until he asked for money. Then his whole personality changed and the romantic groomer disappeared. Even tried to debrief me to see what errors he made, "Is there anything that makes you feel that I have lied to you in the course of getting to know you?"

Seemed like 3-4 different people corresponding. One personality uses "cos" in almost every sentence, and the one asking for money never says please or punctuates ends of sentences, but overall grammar was excellent.

Phone quality is poor--like VOIP and accent is not very Swedish.

Lessons learned: 1. NEVER give money to anyone you have only met online, or even a few times in-person. 2. Now that his phone was lost to "rascals", my phone info, photos and 600+ texts are in the hands of somebody else, so I will NEVER give out my phone number until I meet someone in person.

Advertisement